PDA

View Full Version : PV1 lifespan????

VX crazy
11/19/2011, 08:37 AM
Anyone know how long the PV1 should last? I thought after 170k on mine that it should be replaced, but it still sounds really good. I had magnaflow put on yesterday and dread starting it and driving it, going to get PV1 put back on, what's the highest milage PV1 out there?

newthings
11/19/2011, 11:17 AM
I decided my Power Vault I was getting too loud after 75000 mi. As a historical note, when I got it off, I cut opened the body to have a look at the construction. Seems to be just a heavy duty glass pack.
I found an inner straight through perforated tube shaped like an expansion chamber. The fiberglass was missing in one large area. The stainless steel was still in good shape. I could repack the fiberglas and weld it back together almost good as new.
At the recommendation of my muffler man, I tried a Magnaflow 4x9, 20" body, which is a straight through design in stainless steel, it is a little more quiet below 2000 rpm, but hits a loud resonance at 3200 rpm. Not good.
I did replace the tail pipe with a stainless 2 1/2" all the way to the stock tip, also 2 1/2".
Next I will try the Dynomax Super Turbo 4x9. Not in stainless, but still lifetime warrantee. The three pass design will have a bit more back pressure but I don't expect it to be noticeable.
Two photos in gallery.
Roy

See my gallery under muffler - new things , for inside condition

LittleBeast
11/19/2011, 11:29 PM
144,000 on the LittleBeast and the PV1 was put on by the first owner (I am the second owner) it was on there when I bought it with 50k miles on it, so I think my PV has at least 110,000 on it. Seems to sound better everyday. Even got a compliment on the sound when I was parking it tuesday.

I often think about changing the exhaust setup or even going duals back, but then those thoughts are dismissed as soon as I start the VX up and I am completely content and pleased with every exhaust note :-)

volume311
11/20/2011, 06:21 AM
I think I have probably +175k on mine now. Still sounds good/ I was curious and looking around recently and the PV website is long gone, hasn't been a mention of it in ages.