PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights question

vxcp
11/18/2011, 04:07 PM
Just got some new Nitto Terra Grapplers in the ever popular 285/60/18 size mounted on stock rims. They look great and the cladding trim was minimal and fast with a dremel.

Out of the 5 tires that were mounted, I note that at least one tire/wheel combo (my spare right now) required 8oz of wheel weight to balance! Not sure about all the other tires/wheels though at least one required 1.5oz, which sounds okay.

Will this be a problem for the TOD? Am I likely to experience a shimmy because of this? Is this likely a bad tire -- Should I try to get another? Is this likely a bad rim?

VXorado
11/18/2011, 04:19 PM
I don't see how it would affect the TOD or cause a shimmy but it means your rim is bent or the tire has issues.

My friend got new tires and was told that one of his rims was bent and the shop couldn't balance the tire. He ordered a new rim & the shop balanced the tire with significantly more weights than the others. Obviously the tire was the problem & not the rim. Either way, he hasn't experienced any problems the tire.

I wouldn't worry about it if you're using it as spare.

MSHardeman
11/18/2011, 04:23 PM
Everything should be just fine. The weights are there to balance the tire out and make it "round" (weight wise). When I had my Terra Grapplers mounted the tire shop said that they had a tough time getting them balanced and one of my rims has, what looks like, five pounds of weights stuck to it (not really, but there is a lot of weights stuck to the inside of the rim). I haven't had any issue with the TOD or any kind of tire wobble.

Enjoy the Grapplers.:thumbup:

etlsport
11/18/2011, 06:38 PM
You probably will have a shimmy.. I would try one of two things.

A. Ask the shop to rotate the tire 180 degrees and rebalance it.
B. Get the tires (or just that one) roadforce balanced by a reputable shop..

Whatever you do, make sure to act quickly.. The more miles you put on them the harder it will get the tire to balance well

Were stick on weights used or are they hammer on?

vxcp
11/19/2011, 02:52 PM
Just went with A. as you recommended. The wheel in question now has 6.25oz of weight. 5oz are hammer on and 1.25oz are stick on.

tom4bren
11/21/2011, 04:07 AM
Yah, rotating a tire 180 deg & re-balance is a fairly common trick that usually works ... but it's a PITA for the tire guy (that he doesn't get paid for). If you ever drop the ching for a precision balance, that's all it means. They try to mount the tire on the rim in such a way as to minimize the weights.