PDA

View Full Version : passing emissions with an Evap Check Engine Light

bearandbee
11/17/2011, 08:07 AM
If you live in an govt over regulated county or state, passing emissions can be a challenge with your VX. I had code p0440 which I thought would be fixed after buying a new gas cap...no luck. I read online that the Evap system runs its self test when you hit half a tank. So to pass, fill up tank and clear code. Drive 100 miles or so, so the system is ready to test but keep adding gas so you don't get close to half a tank. Mine passed emissions using this strategy and the light came back on the next week. I will simply repeat the process each year when inspection is due.

nocturnalVX
11/17/2011, 09:23 AM
I have the same problem. The p0440 code keeps coming on, but both mechanics that checked it out said there is nothing wrong. I put a new gas cap on, but it did not help at all. Just a PITA...

Gussie2000
11/17/2011, 08:05 PM
I had or still have the same code.
Trying to solve this issue i change the charcoal canister,vacuum tested all the hoses related to the EVAP,replaced the vacuum valve solenoid,etc & still code pops up.

After reseting the ECU it rarely comes on because i use my remote started to warm the engine,turn off the engine after 5 minutes and then use my key to turn the engine again and roll out, i guess that procedure avoids the ECU to test the EVAP

bearandbee
11/18/2011, 07:52 AM
There has got to be a long term fix or cheat for this computer system.

deermagnet
11/18/2011, 01:38 PM
There has got to be a long term fix
The fix is to take your VX to an authorized Isuzu Repair Dealer that has an Isuzu Tech2 Scan Tool and a good, Isuzu trained mechanic. It may cost you $500 or more. Below is what the Isuzu tech would be using to track down your problem. Take a look, maybe you could check or replace a few things and get lucky.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/vx2/dtcp0440.gif

Mark Griffin