PDA

View Full Version : 3M Invisible Bra

ScubaSteve
10/03/2003, 07:04 AM
Saw the invisible bra on Moncha's site & I like it. Anyone else tried it? Yes/No?

Where can I get the film at? How's it priced?

ScottinMA
10/03/2003, 09:44 AM
I looked into this when I bought my VX and discovered the price .. $600 ... I decided that was a bit much. Hard to find an installer as well. It'll be interesting to see what other owner's have found.

Scott

newthings
10/03/2003, 10:20 AM
The nose kit consists of three parts - Two triangular corners and one center hood piece. The plastic thickness is about 10 mil on a paper backing. The material is made to stretch and to bond to the paint. A liberal spraying with a water alcohol mix is used. The application temperature range is from 60-80 degrees. The hood was hot and the air was about 80. The hood was washed and cooled. Turpentine was used to remove the wax and any tree sap specks on the paint but not on the headlights. The temperature makes the stretching go with little force, but the temperature also makes the bonding set up fast and strong. This combination of conditions and installer Brian having never tried the curves of the VX before, resulted in a failure to align on the last side down. Pulling off for another try damaged the film. He should have started in the center and worked out. Installer Brian had to get another part from Stoneguard and have another go at no cost to me.
Brian went ahead and put on the corners. The film needs to be stretched into the form of a blister without stretching the edges or excess material will result. It does not stretch back. The second corner went on better than the first, but both are fine.
The finished appearance can best be described as follows:
Look at the reflection of a neon light in your clean paint, like in your garage. You will notice some slight texture - orange peel typical of a production paint job. View a coated area in the same manor. About a two times increase in texture will be seen. Not bad, IMHI. From 5 feet, no difference can be seen.
The biggest disappointment was that the hood center piece was 2 1/2" short of the hood insert. I called Kevin at Stoneguard and asked if the hood piece could be made to cover the whole painted area between the insert and the front hood edge and then angle over to meet the existing corners. He said he would consult the designer and a VX would have to be found in Seattle to proof the change.
The headlight covers are 1/16" thick and they do not stretch. The pattern should be started 1/8" in from the horizontal edge to get the cutout for the horn bump to align equally. They are really heavy-duty protection and are not noticeable additions.
Phase 2--
Thanks to Techart for his visit to Stoneguard for a measurement of the new larger piece. The original three piece set cost about$173.00 and the new set costs about $227.00. My installer charged me $110.00. He was cheap, as installers go. As far as doing it your self - I watched twice and I would estimate my chances of getting it right the first time at about 60%. After spending over $200.00 for the material, I wouldn't take the risk.
Phase 3--
Still on and perfect after 14 months. I would do it again.
Roy

ScubaSteve
10/03/2003, 11:04 AM
if anyone's interested I found the same film (12" X 84") for $79.95 & $29.99 for a roll of 3 3/4" X 75"...

For the DIYers...

Moncha
10/03/2003, 12:44 PM
Wow that's alot of money! I had my whole set, save for the headlight covers custom cut and installed for $202.00 total.. Anyone that is a good window tinter should be able to do the job.
Here in colorful Colorado, places like Drive-In Auto Sound and the like are doing installs also.

Y33TREKker
10/03/2003, 03:57 PM
Since I don't have a VX handy to measure how much material is needed to cover the space between the front of the hood and the insert, I don't know if this would be big enough or not, but the price is definitely better.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=52064&I1.x=64&I1.y=48

Clyde
10/04/2003, 07:40 AM
Y33TREKker,

If you need to make some measurments of a VX, you could take some off of my 2000 Proton. I'm in Marion/Carbondale just about every other weekend. I live only an hour away.

Andrey
10/04/2003, 07:53 AM
When I bougt my VX a ripoff dealer wanted $1,000.00 for clear bra. After couple of years and some major dings in the hood I found this guy http://www.tint-it.com/eastern/auto.html who charged me $60 for the hood only. He also did my windows tint and I am very pleased. He is reasonable and honest and not a ripoff !

It is a very good idea to install clear bra as soon as possible (if your VX is brand new) as I've noticed dings in the hood as early as second week of ownership.

Y33TREKker
10/04/2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Clyde
Y33TREKker,

If you need to make some measurments of a VX, you could take some off of my 2000 Proton. I'm in Marion/Carbondale just about every other weekend. I live only an hour away.

I've seen your Proton driving around southern Illinois over the last few weeks. MAN!.......That thing suuuuure is YELLOW! Very nice ride, and I like the addition of the new Axiom wheels. I'll try to remember to take that measurement next time I see you. Thanks.

Oh...... and by the way...............................

Hey Clyde, it's me, Pat. :wave:

:D

Clyde
10/04/2003, 04:55 PM
:D The Axiom wheels don't have the "bling" like the chrome ones, but they will get me by for the winter. I was wondering if that was you or not. I saw the address but wasn't sure. So when we gonna take some measurements and put that stuff on?

Y33TREKker
10/07/2003, 09:54 AM
:D The Axiom wheels don't have the "bling" like the chrome ones, but they will get me by for the winter. I was wondering if that was you or not. I saw the address but wasn't sure. So when we gonna take some measurements and put that stuff on?

If you decide to try it out, I'll help in any way that I can to install it.

We can fix it, we're mechanical. :smack:

Would it be wide enough in that roll form to achieve proper coverage on the hood? I'm guessing that it would be just a bit too narrow to reach all the way from the front of the hood to the edge of where the insert is, but I guess there's no rule that says it has to make it all the way to the insert. I would think that the very front of the hood would be most important for the coverage. Aligning it with the edge of the insert would probably make it less noticeable though. Eastwood Company is generally quick to get orders processed and shipped, so at least we know it wouldn't take long too get a roll if we wanted to try it.

You got my number yo. If you want to installa, give me a holla.

Moncha
10/07/2003, 01:58 PM
I don't know what width my installer used but mine goes from the very front edge of the hood (By the grille) all the way back to the insert.. Glad it does too. I've had a few rocks hit in that area close to the insert leaving just a hint of where the rock hit in the film but nada to the paint underneath.. For the three years that I've had mine covered it still looks as good as new save for where I took a "boulder" in the chin.. Left a little pock in the film that collects a little dirt. I'll have the piece replaced one of these days.. Better than having to repaint though..

Clyde
10/07/2003, 07:29 PM
I hear what you are saying there Moncha. I already have a couple little places that need to be repaired from being hit by rocks. It hasn't been during the time that I have owned the VX though so I can deal with it. It would have made me sick if it happened to me.

Y33TREKker....Holla! We could maybe try to take some measurements this weekend. I also need to try to work on fixing those windows. The passenger side one does the common binding/out of track thing and my drivers side has started to do the same thing. As :homer: says, "DOH! Stupid windows!"

Y33TREKker
10/07/2003, 09:17 PM
I hear what you are saying there Moncha. I already have a couple little places that need to be repaired from being hit by rocks. It hasn't been during the time that I have owned the VX though so I can deal with it. It would have made me sick if it happened to me.

Y33TREKker....Holla! We could maybe try to take some measurements this weekend. I also need to try to work on fixing those windows. The passenger side one does the common binding/out of track thing and my drivers side has started to do the same thing. As :homer: says, "DOH! Stupid windows!"

I'll be in CA this weekend, so I'd suggest bringing a really long tape measure if you stop by the house. :D I'll be back on Monday though. Anytime after that will work.

Daver
10/24/2003, 03:59 PM
I have the 3M Scotchcal on my car. It's nice, in that I can see what's happening to my truck without it. It's not so nice in that it's hard to clean properly when washing the car. adding that cutline along the edge just seems to park dirt there.

-Daver

ScubaSteve
10/24/2003, 05:19 PM
i'm sorry... you've got the ScotchCal on your what....??????????????:eek:

;Db;

Daver
10/26/2003, 07:24 PM
I have it on my M3, not on my VX.

I think it's something BMW is doing...don't think it's dealer or port-installed, but AFAIK, a lot of new BMWs have it now off the truck.

-Daver