PDA

View Full Version : NEW cup holder potential...need feedback!

ron
11/14/2011, 11:00 AM
hey all...

Just wanted all to see what I've been working on. This is just the preliminary stage for a dual cup holder design that would replace the upper half of the center console. So, you'll still utilize the lower main body of the center console which includes the arm rest and storage cubby.

My original intention was to get something close to the VX-O2 dual cup holder console. But because of the off-center e-brake handle of the stock VX, the symmetrical look wasn't going to happen. So, I decided to go with an assymetrical look. In addition, I raised the front edge to the same height as the shifter console as this will give it a cleaner and flushed look between the two pieces.

Also, I decided to have the cup holders cascade down vs. all in one level even plane to decrease the transition heights between the arm rest (top) height to the lower shifter console. Lastly, you will notice that I could only make room for the side mirror control and one switch button on the face. I tried three, but there wasn't much room for material in between to fasten each piece securely. This configuration isn't set in stone as I may try to experiment with getting another switch button on there during prototyping.

I'm still working on the small details like radius edges and things like that. But, the overall design is almost there. I'm going to have this blend in with a new shifter console cover that will have a new updated look as well. BTW, the half round trench on the left side is for the e-brake handle. I may have it extended forward into the shifter console as it overhangs into it a bit. Anyways, wanted to get your feedback in case I might have missed something.

ps. The two cup holders are standard which are removable for easy cleaning or painting if needed.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/rudesvx/cup%20holder/ch3.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/rudesvx/cup%20holder/ch2.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/rudesvx/cup%20holder/ch1.jpg

circmand
11/14/2011, 11:02 AM
Lots of pretty big words. Cant tell much without the actual VX console but in my opinion I would not go with a cup holder that did not allow me access to all the switches that I need access to.

Osteomata
11/14/2011, 02:23 PM
Ignore scrooge, all of those words were understandable, heh. I think it looks VERY promising. I do agree that resolving the access to all control buttons would be a pretty important thing.

VXorado
11/14/2011, 02:41 PM
Awesome, I love the design and I'll be a buyer for sure.

So does this need to be paired with a new shifter faceplate or is that just an option?

Mark B
11/14/2011, 02:58 PM
I like. Been looking for something to hold drinks.
How big of a cup will it hold?

nfpgasmask
11/14/2011, 04:25 PM
Something that was not permanant would be cool. Meaning, if you could just lay it over your existing console, that would be ideal.

Bart

etlsport
11/14/2011, 05:12 PM
Where do I sign?!

Ala5ka
11/14/2011, 05:25 PM
wow that is sweet, I'm in for one

rpoulton
11/14/2011, 05:39 PM
Awesome- Count me in !!

pnwdawg
11/14/2011, 05:56 PM
I want one too another thing on my list to wrap with 3m CF =D

Triathlete
11/14/2011, 06:50 PM
What if you put the buttons on the side?

Grif
11/14/2011, 07:17 PM
What if you put the buttons on the side?

And/or adding "blanks" on the side to add even more buttons for easy customization?

JAMAS
11/15/2011, 05:40 AM
Awesome!!!! I'll take one :)

Child's Play
11/15/2011, 05:48 AM
AWESOME!!!!! I'm in as well....

Triathlete
11/15/2011, 06:46 AM
Good to see the VX creative juices flowing again Ron.

samneil2000
11/15/2011, 07:20 PM
"Like"

pnwdawg
11/15/2011, 07:44 PM
Do you know when the cup holders/console will be available for sale by chance or a rough timeline??

Petos
11/17/2011, 01:06 AM
I am a buyer and will prob find some more takers if you'll be willing to send to Russia, Ron

arcobarco
11/17/2011, 03:42 PM
Needs more COW BELL, Um I mean buttons. JK I would pick one up just to give it a try. If it didn't work out the no cup holder could always go back.

wekilled
11/20/2011, 05:01 PM
Always wanted a replacement for the two pieces ever since I saw some pencil sketches for the the shifter and the brake areas on the forum a few years ago. (not sure if those were your sketches) I really like your work, and would likely buy it as I have your skids already.

I will admit (Not trying to come across as a complete a-hole) however I'd like to see something with a little more aggressive styling, ie more ergonomic/rounded -- less conventional from the 90s era of the VX. Maybe tilt the switches at a 45 angle, round the piece more. Isuzu really stopped at the styling of the controls compared to the rest of the vehicle. Given the quality of your work, I think you could really fix their mistake.

On a similar note, I still plan on taking out the ashtray assembly and building a "power area" with 3x cig plugs and a 110V plug to make up for the lack of those (and the fact I don't need an ashtray except to hold screws when I take stuff apart).

crager34
11/22/2011, 05:10 AM
I will buy one.

vxfocus
11/28/2011, 02:41 PM
i want one,i hate the center console design,and was thinking of trying to make a custom console and put a 7 inch touch screen dvd deck where the ashtray cig lighter is.
this would be easier.would love the shifter piece too.
i'm in

VXorado
11/29/2011, 07:04 AM
i want one,i hate the center console design,and was thinking of trying to make a custom console and put a 7 inch touch screen dvd deck where the ashtray cig lighter is.
this would be easier.would love the shifter piece too.
i'm in

I had the same idea --> removed ashtray/6 CD changer & relocated the cig lighter to the center console. I installed a back up camera screen in place of everything removed. It works but I would build an assembly to angle the screen up if I were to do it again.

I also installed a CB radio into the center console (bad idea) & would love to get this cup holder console to fix that mistake.

Keep us updated on the cup holders when you get a chance Ron.

89Vette
12/30/2011, 09:09 AM
Something that was not permanant would be cool. Meaning, if you could just lay it over your existing console, that would be ideal.

Even when you unscrew/install a new piece, it's not permanent. Glued isn't even permanent. (Think about tiled floors that get replaced.)

I understand many people aren't inclinded to grab a screwdriver and do installation. So, this point about a layover piece is valid. It might get more sales (if layover). But, if the point is to get a factory-like appearance with integral location of switches, I think the OP is on-track and should ignore votes for a drop-in part. Console installations are, after all, very simple.

I like the stacked location of the glass-holders. Making them sufficiently deep to avoid spills is critical. As is, the OEM bottom, shallow tray isn't good for anything. Cups, change, nor a phone will stay in place w/o sliding off under a seat. IMO, the factory center console is laughable.

Whether it be an aftermarket piece, or a suggestion from other automobile, the need for a better-designed center console is huge for these vehicles. On the switches issue, reusing factory switches (in their original harnesses), is best. OTOH, delivering a new piece with plug-in 2/3-gang switch plate also has merit. Consider a smaller triple-gang setup if you're having trouble with switch placing.

I vote for continued effort on this project. And, I'm curious how the plastic will be molded/formed. Does the OP have equipment necessary to do injection molding?

etlsport
02/23/2012, 09:02 PM
Did you move forward with this?

braaus
02/23/2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380402627487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4856wt_989

Crasca
02/23/2012, 11:22 PM
I'm down for one as well, given all of the buttons will be accessable!

Robbomaz
02/24/2012, 02:01 AM
Add peltier plates for your heating & cooling pleasure! :smilewink

ron
02/24/2012, 06:13 AM
Did you move forward with this?

Sorry been out of the loop. Just taken a real big project that's keeping me busy at the moment.

I've actually have taken a different turn for the design. Still a 2-cup holder deal. But, a bit more organic than the current utilitarian CAD design you see. I'm in the process of building the mock-up prototype for fitting and clearance issues. It's still in its early stages. But, I'll post pics of progress when I have the 'look' closer to what I want. rudy

Vendetta
02/24/2012, 03:10 PM
I would feel really good about a replacement part that held a couple of oversize cups (think Starbucks thermals), fit in with the rest of the trim in terms of color and surface texture, didn't stand out too much in terms of design (whereas terms like "organic" and "slanted" indicate otherwise), and perhaps added a switch blank or two to the existing sideview defroster and blank.

In other words, "fix it."

-V