PDA

View Full Version : New member - dumb questions

VX_HK
10/02/2003, 09:36 PM
Hi all !
I'm a 97 silver right hand drive VX owner in Hong Kong (jap. version). Just discovered this site and....GREAT ! Never thought that so many VX lovers are here !!!
I have a rather stupid question here and hope if you guys or gals can help. My VX is imported from Japan and there is no official dealer for this model here. My manual is in Japanese. Could anyone tell me what the manual recommends regarding the changing of engine oil / gear box oil etc (frequency / type) ? I'm doing this on my garage's advices but no harm getting the opinion form the manufacturer. And can I buy or download a manual on the internet ? Thx.

One thing u guys may want to know... last few months I found 'bubbles' surfacing on the paint of the hood insert. At first I think this is an individual problem (humid weather here) but then I found several others 97 or 98 VXs having the same phenomenon. I think it has to do with the paint itself.

And can someone tell me where I can get the chrome mirror covers ? Thx again.

MZ-N10
10/02/2003, 09:51 PM
wow a fellow hongkee....lol no offense. As for the motor oil they suggest to change the oil every 12000km if your are not driving under one or more of the "severe driving" filter every 4800km and SAE 10W-30 oil. DEXRON-III fluid for the transmission everytime you get a inspection of your car.
________
VAPORIZER TV (http://vaporizers.tv/)

Dallas4u
10/02/2003, 10:14 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I'm assuming you could go by MOST of the items listed in the online VX manual, so I will post this link to download:

VX Manual (http://tonemonday.com/Storage/vx_manual.zip)

(Hope Tone doesn't mind as this is from his site). It's almost 36mb, and you will need to burn it to a CD to run it. It is for the US version, but you should be able to follow it.

As for the paint on the hood insert... the US version isn't painted. I would think you could sand and repaint with a black matte paint or a bumper paint if needed, or whatever color you want.

VX_HK
10/03/2003, 12:46 AM
Thx !

but some problems are universal...like the windows.

SGT.BATGUANO
10/03/2003, 03:04 AM
We have the cure for the windows too!:)

Raque Thomas
10/03/2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u

As for the paint on the hood insert... the US version isn't painted. I would think you could sand and repaint with a black matte paint or a bumper paint if needed, or whatever color you want. [/B]

Dallas - are you sure about that? Mine has a chip (presumably from a rock), and it is a white or dull silver color there - I would think if it wasn't painted it would be a uniform color throughout?? It's not "gouged" deeply, just a surface chip no deeper than a paint chip on the painted part of your hood might be.

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 08:21 AM
No, I'm not totally sure... I guess it may be painted. My '99 has never had a problem with bubbling or chipping, but it may have a nice coat of matte black on it. VX_HK's is a '97, only a couple years older than mine, but enough time for it to start doing something if it is going to.

Still, I'd sand it and paint it, or have a shop do it if you want a really nice paint job.

nyc #1 ironman
10/03/2003, 08:28 AM
Welcome,
No pressure, but can you be our new Albert and get us loads of carbon fiber goodies in Hong Kong? ;)

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by nyc #1 ironman
Welcome,
No pressure, but can you be our new Albert and get us loads of carbon fiber goodies in Hong Kong? ;)

:)

AlaskaVX
10/03/2003, 12:05 PM
Welcome,
:wave: :thumbup:

AnalogVX
10/03/2003, 04:09 PM
Welcome,
No pressure, but can you be our new Albert and get us loads of carbon fiber goodies in Hong Kong? ;) :luck: :thanx: :thumbup: :wave:

TDAWG
10/04/2003, 07:09 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome,
No pressure, but can you be our new Albert and get us loads of carbon fiber goodies in Hong Kong?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:wave: :thumbup: :wave: :luck: :thumbup: :thanx: :clap:

VX_HK
10/04/2003, 09:12 PM
I didn't just sand it becoz I don't think it will last long. The garage use some chemical solvents to remove all the paint on my hood insert and just spray paint it again. Looks like new now. Haha.

I don't think I know as much as Albert and don't have the connection like him. But I read from the magazines that there are some firms doing the carbon fiber parts replication here. If u can hook me up with Albert then sure I'm pleased to do anything to help. No problem.

hchen
10/04/2003, 11:09 PM
Yea! im not hongkongnese ...taiwanese tho...haha, 1/4 hongkongnese...

can you find out if they can mold the side cladding...all of it...and make it into c/f? if anyone does that...as well as the hood insert. that would be real sick...thanks~

nyc #1 ironman
10/05/2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your thoughfulness VX_HK I was just joking though about being the new Albert. He unfortunately got SARS last year in HK and is hopefully recovering. He had many connections in HK and was on the way to making our VXes look pretty darn good. We do not really have a way to contact him , though he should be back soon. Maybe you could ask around the streets of HK if anyone knows an Albert ;) But, if you want or have extra time you may be able to search HK for some carbon fiber shops. I know many people on the board would absolutely love you !

Heraclid
10/05/2003, 10:40 PM
Going back to what raquetthomas said about the chips... mine is the same. A few very small ones and a whitish-silver color shows through. Also very shallow and superficial damage, like his. I was thinking it was not painted until then, but apparently it is, so I guess I can wax the thing.