PDA

View Full Version : half shafts

Hybrid1098
11/04/2011, 02:33 AM
Hey everyone,

Whats the difference between these half shafts? It seems the part numbers on al three are different. The first two look identical but the last one has a different end to it. Actually the second one I cannot tell but it seems that there is plastic surrounding the ball bearings but that may be the difference.

Can anyone shed some light into this?

60-1349S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Industries-60-1349S-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-CV-Shaft-/110722175069?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AVehiCROSS&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c78e505d#ht_1286wt_1156

66-1349S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Industries-66-1349S-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-CV-Shaft-/400237398761?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AVehiCROSS&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d30020ae9#ht_1426wt_931

60-1310

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Industries-60-1310-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-CV-Shaft-/110715705971?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AVehiCROSS&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c72b9a73#ht_1286wt_1156

THANKS!!!!

MSHardeman
11/04/2011, 08:11 AM
The last one has the "green cup" attached to it. That is the "outer race" and is actually the axle shaft that fits into the front axle housing. I didn't look too closely at the first two, but they do seem to be similar. Maybe they are different lengths? I know that there are a couple of threads rolling around here regarding the front axle shafts and their associated part numbers.

Triathlete
11/04/2011, 08:37 AM
If your in the market for axle shafts...
The cardones are remanufactured and those prices seem a bit high
If you are not replacing the green cups I suggest checking out the Empi's. I have been running them for over a year, including beating them offroad, with good results. They are "new" parts not remans. They don't make a vx specific shaft but the trooper shaft works. I paid $72 for mine on amazon.

VXorado
11/04/2011, 09:24 AM
+1 go with EMPI, they're cheaper & seem to be pretty strong. Search for the EMPI thread that Triathelete posted to find part #s.

Only buy the outer section aftermarket & don't buy the half shaft with the green cup attached as it has a different style CV joint which binds easily & you will have to drop the front axle to install. OEM replacement (junkyard) is the only good option for replacing the inner axle shafts.

Hybrid1098
11/04/2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys, the truck has 160k on the frame and will need the passenger side CV joint, a-arm and a few other things replaced. Figured with that kind of mileage and since I am doing the repairs already then might as well replace both axles, half shafts, cv joints, boots, cups etc. Think that is necessary?

Heck I may even polish the undercarriage... jk

Any other recommendations while I'm fixing those? I don't care about the money (no I'm not rich) but I do want to make it very dependable and reliable. I'm going to be ordering a new set of shocks and springs soon too as well as mayyyyybbbeee an actual driveshaft.

VXorado
11/04/2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, the truck has 160k on the frame and will need the passenger side CV joint, a-arm and a few other things replaced. Figured with that kind of mileage and since I am doing the repairs already then might as well replace both axles, half shafts, cv joints, boots, cups etc. Think that is necessary?

Replacing the axles (AKA jack shafts) is a completely different procedure than replacing the halfshafts. Its not necessary unless the green cups are shot &/or you have leaky axle seals. I would pull the half shaft and inspect the green cup. If the slots are worn in the cup, then it will need replacement & you'll have to pull the front axle.

Also, I would replace your ball joints while you're replacing the front end.

AlexVX
11/04/2011, 03:43 PM
Without green cup, brand new. PM if anyone needs them.