PDA

View Full Version : Bumper off, Hitch on! :)

Breezy
10/30/2011, 04:48 PM
I have been to 4 shops in the local area. I was told the Curt hitch wasn't made for my car, the shop couldn't handle the work, and that it wasn't possible to do it. I had it done in about 3 hours work total, by myself, and I had to go buy some tools. Ha. Real mechanics around here. One was a U-Haul shop, specializing in hitch installs. U-Haul even once made a hitch for the VX. I laugh at them! Mwah-hahaha!!!!

But anyways, it was some chore getting the rear bumper off. I took some pictures and was going to do a little write-up on it incase anyone else was wondering how the rear bumper came off/how to install a (non-Tone) style hitch. I can't figure out how to upload pictures into a thread to do it though. Is there a trick to this? Much harder than getting the bumper off..:_thinking

Do they go in my gallery first and then into here? I think like 1 picture file size exceeds the file size limit though (12 MP camera)....Help, please?

mantis465
10/30/2011, 05:00 PM
had the same question a few weeks ago ldubs gave me this link and in minutes pics were posted :)

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ&op=viewcategory&cid=7#38

hope that helps

Scott Larson
10/30/2011, 05:02 PM
Imagine that, "professional" mechanics without a clue, who'd a thunk it? Congrats on a job well done yourself!! The U-Haul hitch was made by Curt, by-the-way...As to the rear bumper cover, I haven't even had that off yet. Good job! :yesy:

Breezy
10/30/2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...egory&cid=7#38

hope that helps

This link isn't working...?

mantis465
10/30/2011, 05:26 PM
sorry should work know

VX KAT
10/30/2011, 05:39 PM
Here's the instructions.
You could also upload your pics to a photo hosting site like "photobucket" or "picasaweb" and then attach an image link to each picture.

HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO YOUR GALLERY:

~To add pics, you first have to "upload" them to your "gallery".

~Go to "Gallery" and click..it's located along the blue horizontal strip toward the top of the page, and it's the second item from the left.

~Then click "Gallery links"...which is also on that blue horizontal border, 7th from the left side. When the list lights up, scroll down to the "Upload Photos" and click.

~Then the screen will show up where you can attach up to 5 pics at a time from your gallery. Look for "Choose file" button, click, and then find the pic on your computer.

~After you've selected up to 5, scroll down about 4 inches and click white button "Upload/Submit". Takes about a minute or so to do it.

~then there's another screen that comes up where you can add text to describe picture/s...than click submit button.

ONCE YOU'VE UPLOADED THE PICS TO YOUR GALLERY....HOW TO ATTACH THEM TO A POST:

~If adding to an existing post of yours:
Go to your post and hit the "Edit" button toward the bottom of the first post.

~Then hit the white "go advanced" button on the bottom of the post.

~Then on the right side you should see a small gray box titled "My pics" and inside the box there will be the words "Open" in blue letters. Click "open".

~That will take you to your gallery and you just click on which pictures you want to upload to the post.

~In the body of the post -Hit a "return/enter" after each picture you attach. Otherwise it doesn't always space the pictures correctly.

****NOTE**** Sometimes, clicking on the picture you want does NOT make it (well, the code language) show up in the box where you are editing. I don't know why this happens, but if it does, I just wait an hour or so and start all over, and it usually works then.

tom4bren
10/31/2011, 04:00 AM
Breezy,

Had similar experience with U-Haul years ago when I needed to put a hitch on an Eclipse. They had one but the installer just couldn't get'r done. I ended up doing most of the work for him.

The easiest way I've come up with doing a How2 is to create it in MicroSoft Word (including pictures). Then when done, save it as a pdf. A pdf can be inserted into forum threads or submitted to the How2 section. I like a pdf version so that I can print a copy to take outside with me when doing the work.

IIRC, Tone's writeup on the hitch install was fairly detailed about the rear cladding removal. I'll see if I can find it & post it here for future reference.

Tom

tom4bren
10/31/2011, 07:32 AM
Here's Tone's How2. Couldn't find it in the How2 section.