PDA

View Full Version : TOD Problems please help :-( video link

LittleBeast
10/27/2011, 11:33 PM
So coming back from meeting my family for a meal and on the highway the TOD starts going crazy. I took a video here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuA8_0DEn6c

So you can see at 0:13, 0:23, 0:34, 0:38, 0:41, 0:49, 0:57, 1:02, the lights are not doing what they should be and the Check TOD flashes every once and again. What is the deal? I was on the highway going about 65mph when I took the video. When I slowed down the TOD seemed to be back to normal. But then again it would randomly flash Check TOD. I have no idea what is going on here. I have rotated the tires often, maybe it is time to rotate them again?

It was raining and I did accelerate very hard twice on the way up onto the highway before all this starting happening. Did the TOD computer just go out? Is there a sensor out? How can I trouble shoot this?

deermagnet
10/28/2011, 05:39 AM
How can I trouble shoot this?
See if you can get a stored TOD trouble code.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939)

Mark Griffin

Amnesia
10/31/2011, 08:56 AM
You might try checking out your wiring harness under the VX, on the passenger side between the frame rail & the catalytic converter. My VX used to do this, usually in the winter when I went through a lot of slush & it would get VERY soaked underneath. The dealership replaced the entire harness once (under warranty), but of course the problem returned after the warranty expired. (Aftermarket warranty was good up to 100k miles) When the problem came back, I went underneath & started poking around. Turns out the harness & some connectors weren't secured & were contacting the side of the exhaust & melting the insulation. When it would get wet, then I'd get the goofy TOD lights and the VX would revert to 2WD only. (Not fun in the winter.)

Anyway, I mended the melty wires & re-secured them. Problem solved. Good luck!

LittleBeast
11/02/2011, 11:19 PM
I appreciate the input, thanks.....

BUT......

I think this might be mechanical :-(

As I was turning in the parking lot for church, I was at full lock and the VX just stopped.....

My foot was not on the brake, but it just stopped. Seems like there is something inside one or both of the CV's that is getting in the way and providing enough friction to stop the VX from moving when it gets to that spot only when wheels are turned to full lock. So um I guess that would cause the sensors to read resistance on the wheels when they should not? And cause faulty signals? Because one or both of the CV's are needing attention? Wow I guess accelerating in the rain while taking a curve with huge tires and rims, and that much lift is not good.... whoops, good thing I can rebuild the CV's with my eyes closed now, haha :-)

fultonix
11/03/2011, 11:56 AM
Im going to get a vid uploaded too. My TOD lights up, on and off. But every time it does I hear the chain/slack hitting right below my shifter area. When I put it in lock it grinds and clicks loudy and doesnt grip. Pretty much no 4WD really.

Triathlete
11/03/2011, 02:04 PM
Ryan, sounds like your cv's are binding up. And yes the bigger tires don't help the circumstances.

LittleBeast
11/03/2011, 11:53 PM
Ryan, sounds like your cv's are binding up. And yes the bigger tires don't help the circumstances.

Yes it does sound like they are binding up, what exactly should I do? Have you had that problem? Could it still be a transfer case issue? No popping, just binding and slow down when turning.

Triathlete
11/04/2011, 08:55 AM
Just don't turn full lock? :D
Are you running oem or aftermarket shafts. If aftermarket they just might not have the same degree of turn as the oem.

VXorado
11/04/2011, 09:54 AM
Might be time to invest in some manual hubs & the TOD off switch. Even if you don't use it often, its nice to have when you run into problems.

I had binding issues with aftermarket CVs. The best way to check if you're having the same problem is to jack up the front end which will allow your IFS to go to full downtravel & then spin the each tire. Next try the same thing with the tires at full turned position. The tires should freely spin and have no resistance. When my CVs were binding, the tire only turned halfway smoothly & then I had to pull it around through the other half of the rotation.

LittleBeast
11/17/2011, 11:36 AM
So I went ahead and took out the 2" Independent4x4 spring spacers on the rear, so now I am just running OME 912's on the rear and so I lowered the front torsion bars by about 1.5' as well to match, and now I have no TOD issues and no CV binding problems, and add to that I just installed the Independent4x4 adjustable lower links on the rear, and now I have NO driveline VIBRATION!!!!! I feel so accomplished. So yes the lower adjustable links do indeed fix the driveline vibration problem that we all seem to get after lifting. You need the lower links just more than 1/2" longer than stock for the 912's. I have mine at about 3/4" longer now and I think it is just right. I will measure exactly and create a new post soon :-)