PDA

View Full Version : There is more than one way to get a supercharger.

Ebenezr
10/25/2011, 07:04 PM
The Pontiac Grand prix GTP has a 3.8 L engine and the bell housing fits our transmission. These engines are a dime a dozen supercharged and 240 HP :yeso: Buy a used 02 and rip the engine, harness and PCM out of it and it will "plug and play".....well sort of I mean other than small issues (he he) like motor mount compatibility :right: etc
My mechanic uses only Jasper engines and they do not rebuild our Isuzu 3.5 because they cannot get quality parts that they can stand

And this one I can get for 229 a month :naughty:by.http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/ctd/2663347956.html

VXorado
10/25/2011, 09:21 PM
Those 3.8L are pretty good engines but for all the work, 240 hp is pretty lack luster. Lets see 240-215= 25 hp gain ;puke:
I know of stickers that give better HP increases :p.

vt_maverick
10/25/2011, 09:35 PM
And that 25 HP is at the engine not at the wheels - probably would only register on the butt dyno. ;)

I wonder if anybody ever did a nitro kit on a VX?

SilverBullet75
10/25/2011, 10:06 PM
I believe Tone did back in the day. You'd have to search for his old threads, but he did post some info on it. If I remember correctly, he snapped his tranny main shaft with it...

Ebenezr
10/26/2011, 04:07 AM
Ha ha ha. I think there are other engines that will mate. I agree it is not worth the effort unless your bored with the $$$ and time to do it. I'd like to put a Duramax Diesel with an Allison trans in her......ha ha. What a waste.

Ebenezr
10/26/2011, 06:44 AM
Here is a 3.8 supercharged. It is transverse mount....Hmmm. :o

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/super.jpg

VXorado
10/26/2011, 08:32 AM
I forgot that they're traverse mount, what a pain to work on. I remember it was even difficult to change the serpentine belt because everything is stuffed into the side of the engine bay.

VXorado
10/26/2011, 08:33 AM
After my last post, I should mention I owned a grand prix with the same engine just not super charged. Not a bad car.

Ebenezr
10/26/2011, 09:04 AM
How do they do this. To me it is stupid cause the crankshaft out put has to do a 90 degree turn and that means more parts that can break.

Etfren
10/30/2011, 03:28 AM
Those GTP's are FWD Ebenezer. A buddy of mine I work with has one of a supercharged ones. Its a pretty quick car (not really that fast though) but the motor swap wouldn't be worth the marginal gains in power for the hassle of making it fit. Although parts would be easier to come buy and upgrades for more power later.

Ebenezr
10/30/2011, 11:48 AM
Those GTP's are FWD Ebenezer. A buddy of mine I work with has one of a supercharged ones. Its a pretty quick car (not really that fast though) but the motor swap wouldn't be worth the marginal gains in power for the hassle of making it fit. Although parts would be easier to come buy and upgrades for more power later.

Right you are. I traded my VX two days ago. Got a 2004, Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Short bed and it has a 8.1 liter gas with an Allison trans. :grino: Now I can hook a chain to the house and move it around. It is a TANK. I love it. :smilegray

Monstertrucker
10/30/2011, 11:54 AM
I know of stickers that give better HP increases :p.

In The U.K. we call them 'go-faster' stripes!! :p

RamAirZ
10/30/2011, 08:04 PM
Right you are. I traded my VX two days ago. Got a 2004, Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Short bed and it has a 8.1 liter gas with an Allison trans. :grino: Now I can hook a chain to the house and move it around. It is a TANK. I love it. :smilegray

How many times do you have to fill up before you move the house lol. That 8.1 is a sweet motor though. The 3.8 isn't a bad swap and there are a ton of upgrades for that motor, but you need to make a custom intake piece for the back of the supercharger to clear the firewall. Also you need to work on the transmission as the 4L30E won't work with the factory computer so you would have to swap transmissions as well. It can be done as Dan over on 4x4wire swapped one into his amigo but nothing besides an Isuzu 98+ 3.2/3.5 DOHC is a direct swap or even bolt up. All other 60* bellhousing engines require alot of fab work plus trans changes.

Ebenezr
10/31/2011, 06:08 AM
How many times do you have to fill up before you move the house lol. That 8.1 is a sweet motor though. The 3.8 isn't a bad swap and there are a ton of upgrades for that motor, but you need to make a custom intake piece for the back of the supercharger to clear the firewall. Also you need to work on the transmission as the 4L30E won't work with the factory computer so you would have to swap transmissions as well. It can be done as Dan over on 4x4wire swapped one into his amigo but nothing besides an Isuzu 98+ 3.2/3.5 DOHC is a direct swap or even bolt up. All other 60* bellhousing engines require alot of fab work plus trans changes.

Believe or not I was only getting 11.5 MPG with the VX in the end. After 16 weeks and 4 mechanics all we could do was getting it running driveable enough to trade. Over this time I got to drive it very little with significant HP loss and you all would ban me from the forum for stupidity if you knew the amount of money I've thrown at the VX over the laast 4 months. (divides out to 300.00$ a week. :( . My new truck with the 8.1 is getting almost 14 with the performance Mods it has come with. :)

RamAirZ
10/31/2011, 07:53 PM
14 is pretty good for the 8.1! I like those motors alot, I've thought about using one in hot rod

Ebenezr
11/01/2011, 07:02 AM
14 is pretty good for the 8.1! I like those motors alot, I've thought about using one in hot rod

It has an air raid (KN style) air filter, a throttle body extender, a performance chipset, and performance exhaust that is quiet. I also scared the *&^% out of myself when I gunned it a little turning out into traffic on wet pavement. It slipped in the rear and then a bump bump bump coming from the rear as I was turning. It was walking in the rear. I eased back off the street and it went away and I thought YES!!! this truck has a locking rear. I guess it has the G80 option.??