PDA

View Full Version : Just bought another VX

angeno
10/25/2011, 06:55 PM
Hi all, been monitoring these forums for a long time. Having owned a couple of VX's, including one off the showroom floor, I know all the great things about these vehicles. And after a lengthy search, I finally found one that looked like a decent value. '00, blk/blk, 132K miles. A few minor issues I was aware of, including a crack in the body cladding (fixable, thank goodness since it is near impossible to replace those parts). Unfortunately, the miles accumulated getting to 132K have, shall we say, not been particularly kind. It's the little things that can tell you a lot sometimes. Lots of evident surface rust when you lift up the hood. Muffler sounds like it is ready to go to Midas-heaven. Just a general sense that the thing wasn't... "loved".

The first worst thing on my list was the fact that the front wheel bearing were shot and the brake pads were essentially gone. So, the seller agreed to replace the bearings, turn the rotors, and replace the pads. I verified that all of that was done. However, the ABS light is still on. Any ideas why this might be so?

Oh, and just to make things fun and interesting, the battery won't hold a charge. So that is clearly the first thing that is getting replaced, immediately if not sooner. Another thing I notice is that the gas gauge seems to be unnaturally pessimistic. I put 15 gallons in the tank and it barely registers 1/3 (not even half full). Now I'm no math whiz, but even a rank simpleton like me knows that's not right! Fuel sending unit shot craps perhaps?

Another thing I notice is that the vehicle kind of "crashes" over expansion joints and pot holes. Having owned VX's before, I know that this is not what one in proper condition does. Worn shocks maybe?

You can begin to see that I know just enough about these vehicles to develop a fuzzy idea about what might be broken, but not enough knowledge (okay, not enough motivation either) to actually get in there myself and fix what needs to be fixed.

My intentions are to slowly bring the Vehicross back to near-excellent condition, bit by bit. My priorities are drivetrain, suspension, and then cosmetics. I've spent a fair amount of time reading about the known weak spots in these trucks, e.g. window lifts, general failure issues with the 3.5L, etc.

Based on what I describe, I would ask you highly knowledgeable folks for your opinion as to what I've already raised -- i.e. does it sound like I am in the general vicinity of what is probably broken, or am I way out in left field? Also, given what I describe about this one, if there are other specific things I should probably be concerned about that perhaps don't jump out at me right away, I would sure appreciate hearing from you guys about that subject too.

Anyway, most importantly, happy to be back in the VX community. Looking forward to contributing something other than stupid questions, as time passes.

Kind regards,

Geno

bearandbee
10/25/2011, 08:17 PM
I'm in the same boat, last week we purchased a 99 with 152k but on its second engine. It needs emissions, brakes, muffler, Windows fixed, seats, transmission and drivetrain work and on and on. Maybe we can start a support group! The good news is, we have cool rare suvs and there is a fair amount of good info on this forum.

IndianaVX
10/25/2011, 09:09 PM
Congrats to both of you! Welcome! From what you both describe, it sounds like you both have a plan, and that's a good start. As far as exciting said plan, just take it bit by bit, like eating an elephant. You might just suprise yourselves on working on the trucks. Unlike vehicles today, the vx has room to work around the engine bay, and you can actually see 80%+ of the engine, not just the top. I would start with anything to do with engine, the most important part, and go from there. Do a good seafoam oil flush, and then go to synthetic. New PVC,air filter, maybe plugs, etc. Then just like I said, weekend projects on universals, bearings, tran, diff.... In no time you will have things sounding and feeling like they should. Although it is never all done. These trucks seem to need to be maintained more than most, but I know for me, it is kinda self induced because I like things to be proper, and I really do enjoy working on the vx. Plan on keeping it forever, so I try and maintain it to do so!
Good luck!

VXorado
10/25/2011, 09:11 PM
You're VX doesn't sound too bad.. considering it has 132K on the clock there will be some things that need replaced/maintenanced & many people neglect parts through service intervals.

I would start with fluid changes everywhere unless you have documented proof that the PO changed everything. Go ahead & replace the engine oil, power steering ATF, transfer case ATF, transmission ATF, brake fluid & F&R diffs.

Next check for squeaks- I usually rock the VX back and forth & listen for noises. Grease, lube, tighten, or replace anything making noise. Also grease the rear driveshaft at the zerks.

Now the ABS light is very common & can be fixed by replacing the ABS module (search ebay) or a connector can be bend down to remove the "abs" light on the dash without fixing the ABS (search the site). I replaced mine with a module from ebay for about $60 and it works great.

The bumpy ride is probably the shocks or the rear bump stops bottoming out on the frame (search site).

Good luck & welcome back to the site;)

rowhard
10/26/2011, 07:26 AM
a crack in the body cladding (fixable) Geno

Welcome back to the addiction. So what do you know that the rest of us don't. Repair kits I have found says the material that is used to make the cladding isn't repairable, and if so, will your way fix blemishes?? hope hope

The A Dog
10/26/2011, 07:44 AM
Sounds like fun! What do you intend to replace the shocks with if you end up going that route?

angeno
10/26/2011, 10:25 PM
Welcome back to the addiction. So what do you know that the rest of us don't. Repair kits I have found says the material that is used to make the cladding isn't repairable, and if so, will your way fix blemishes?? hope hope

Well, now I am officially scared...

My body cladding damage is really not so bad. Looks like the PO backed into something. Or over something. Or tried to run over something. Or something. Now there is a jagged little crack about two inches long in the rear section of the cladding. Nothing is missing. Just cracked. So I figured, hey, the cladding's not made of kryptonite. It is just basic polypropylene, right?

Maybe if there are chunks missing, then okay, I can see a challenge there. But for simple cracks? Seems soluble. I've got a friend who runs a Maaco auto body. He seems to think this can be corrected. Also, I ran across a number of resources online, (e.g. http://www.urethanesupply.com/backissues.php). Let me know if I am failing to grasp some elemental truth here.

:o

angeno
10/26/2011, 10:28 PM
Agreed. Forever sounds about right to me too. Drove mine a little bit today and remembered again why I LOVE this thing. It's just cool and fun and awesome. Like a 4WD puppy dog. That always is ready to play rough. ;)

angeno
10/26/2011, 10:29 PM

You're VX doesn't sound too bad.. considering it has 132K on the clock there will be some things that need replaced/maintenanced & many people neglect parts through service intervals.

I would start with fluid changes everywhere unless you have documented proof that the PO changed everything. Go ahead & replace the engine oil, power steering ATF, transfer case ATF, transmission ATF, brake fluid & F&R diffs.

Next check for squeaks- I usually rock the VX back and forth & listen for noises. Grease, lube, tighten, or replace anything making noise. Also grease the rear driveshaft at the zerks.

Now the ABS light is very common & can be fixed by replacing the ABS module (search ebay) or a connector can be bend down to remove the "abs" light on the dash without fixing the ABS (search the site). I replaced mine with a module from ebay for about $60 and it works great.

The bumpy ride is probably the shocks or the rear bump stops bottoming out on the frame (search site).

Good luck & welcome back to the site;)

Thank you for the really great advice. I intend to forward your suggestions to the service repair shop I've entrusted to handle the preliminary repairs on my new baby.

:bwgy:

angeno
10/26/2011, 10:31 PM
Sounds like fun! What do you intend to replace the shocks with if you end up going that route?

Dunno, actually. Probably nothing too outlandish. Not going to use my new toy for anything crazy, at least in the near term. I understand that there are some pretty sensible aftermarket options out there. Perhaps you've a suggestion or two?