PDA

View Full Version : Front drive train

fultonix
10/25/2011, 05:47 PM
How can I check my front drive shaft, "front end" to make sure everything is fine and lubed properly?

LittleBeast
10/25/2011, 11:03 PM
Well as far as the front driveshaft itself goes you can use some silicone lubricant on the rubber in between the shaft and the CV at each end. That Rubber will eventually get old and crack and let debris in there and can potentially do some damage and make that CV joint stick. That is for the front driveshaft itself and not the CV's or the half shafts as some call them. Couldn't imagine too many other issues with the front driveshaft unless a balancing weight flew off and now it is unbalanced or something.

For the CV's you should check your CV boots and make sure those do not have any holes or cuts in them. You can put something on the rear tires to make sure they do not move, apply the handbrake and then lift the front end of the VX to make sure everything locks when it should (4lo) and spins when it should (4hi) in the direction that it is supposed to (each tire in opposite direction of each other unless you have modified the diff somehow). Also you should check the level of the front diff and put gear oil in there if it does not spill out of the top fill hole when you loosen and then remove it. Are you experiencing any issues, or just trying to be safe?

fultonix
10/26/2011, 06:07 AM
Well, I goto work on a dirt/graveled road and when I start on it, it feels like the front tires are locking up for just a split second. I have just put all brakes on, front wheel bearings, new tires/wheels. I know my transfer case is finished, Im trying to find one and order asap. I just want to make sure the front end wasn't being damaged due to the transfer case.

How many CV boots is there to check?
Plus, after I got my new tires/rims on, my shocks are done. Im ordering the EMU suspension kit w/3"lift. I dont see how all this happens right when I get my tires on. Kinda strange.