PDA

View Full Version : roof rack rail cover

Daly
10/24/2011, 11:57 AM
Anyone have the roof rack rail cover piece that you take on and off when putting on roof racks?
I just noticed one of mine on drivers side is gone.
If you always keep a roof rack on you should have this sitting in your garage in a pile with all the other VX stuff.

nfpgasmask
10/24/2011, 12:05 PM
Unless you modded them like I did to fit back on after the roof rack is installed. I seem to remember a while ago a set of 4 rail covers going for a pretty penny on eBay...

And just FYI, the fronts are different than the backs. So which one are you missing?

Bart

Breezy
10/24/2011, 12:06 PM
I just took mine off last week, but the plastic was so brittle that the plastic clip parts on all of them broke off. Ugh. Sorry about that. It made me mad. I'd send em to you if they hadn't broke tho.

VX KAT
10/24/2011, 12:13 PM
Anyone have the roof rack rail cover piece that you take on and off when putting on roof racks?
I just noticed one of mine on drivers side is gone.
If you always keep a roof rack on you should have this sitting in your garage in a pile with all the other VX stuff.

Except some of us that had the custom rail caps made so they can be used WITH the roof rack.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/OEM%20ROOF%20RACK%20-CLEANING%20PICS/DSCF3511.jpg

Daly
10/24/2011, 12:26 PM
Not surprised that you customized them Kat.

I need the front drivers side cover.
Will take a broken one and try to play with it if that is all I can get.

nfpgasmask
10/24/2011, 12:27 PM

Yeah, you might be able to use like hot glue or something to keep it in place.

Bart

VX KAT
10/24/2011, 12:29 PM

Well I can't take credit for the idea or the craftsmanship....somebody started it a while back, can't recall who, and then VT_Mav made mine.

Breezy
10/24/2011, 12:30 PM
Meh. =/ I through them all away because they were useless to me. Haha I guess I won't be doing that anymore from now on. Dang it. Sorry Daly!

nfpgasmask
10/24/2011, 12:36 PM
Well I can't take credit for the idea or the craftsmanship....somebody started it a while back, can't recall who, and then VT_Mav made mine.
I'm not sure I started, but I did mine back in 2006.

Here's the link....from my old site...still haven't transferred the data over to the new site.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/roofrack.htm

Meh. =/ I through them all away because they were useless to me. Haha I guess I won't be doing that anymore from now on. Dang it. Sorry Daly!
Yeah, like I said, I think a set went for over $400 once on eBay. :eek:

Someone has got to remember that.

Bart

LittleBeast
10/24/2011, 12:42 PM
Yes these are rare pieces that have demanded upwards of $350 for a set of 4 multiple times in the past.

Monstertrucker
10/24/2011, 12:51 PM
Git yer bids in folks!

Shipped from the U.K. though.

Seriously, if they're worth that much, I'd list them on ebay and fit a rack, if I could get an OEM to replace them with, assuming that they thusly become entirely surplus to requirements, of course, though looking at the photo above, it looks like you still need to infill the gaps. Hmmmm.

Anyone got one?

JAMAS
10/24/2011, 12:58 PM
I have a set. But dont really want to get rid of them.

With that being said, I would let them go for $300. Its alot, but I dont really want to sell.

Breezy
10/24/2011, 01:05 PM
Why on earth are they so expensive? I just threw them in the garbage lol. I feel retarded now. I'm going to try to find them now lol.

JAMAS
10/24/2011, 01:28 PM
I just read an article that a lady was trying to sell (illegally) a spec of moon dust for like 1.5 million dollars

Monstertrucker
10/24/2011, 01:47 PM
I just read an article that a lady was trying to sell (illegally) a spec of moon dust for like 1.5 million dollars

That's nothing; did you see the documentary a few years ago where some guy was literally selling tracts of land on the Moon for millions with legal contracts and all the trimmings?

Forgive the pun but it's rather a grey area! :p

Next thing, they'll be claiming ownership and selling land on Earth too.

DOH!

vt_maverick
10/24/2011, 01:57 PM
Daly - I may have one at home for you. I'll look when I get back tomorrow night and let you know.

pointup
10/24/2011, 03:24 PM
I have 3 left over when i purchased a set cut out to cover the rail set. Do you still need them?

VX KAT
10/24/2011, 05:54 PM
More recently, say the past year, a set of four originals have been selling for around $75 - $85.

Some words of wisdom learned the hard way.....
When I was installing the custom ones from Mav, I snapped off one of the little bar tabs on my front driver's side, like Breezy said, the plastic is very brittle.

I thought the other 3 tabs would hold it in place......then for the longest time I'd hear this weird rattle noise coming from outside the truck on the driver's side. I never could figure out what it was....until.....Dave and I were driving somewhere in separate trucks and HE noticed that %$#@ cap bobbling around when he was next to me. Because the tower goes through them they can't fall off, but if all 4 tabs aren't holding it, the wind will pop it up and the bobbling will begin.

This went on for probably 6-8 months before we figured it out. In that time, the bottom edge of the side of the cap with the missing tab was completely destroyed, all abraded, chipped up and rough. It was on the inner side so I never SAW anything wrong....since I'm not as tall as VXorado or H3_VX :goof:

I used earthquake putty (museum putty) to hold it down and that worked fine for highway and trails.....but I wanted an unbroken one!

So I bought another set from a forum member....and Mav offered to cut me another front driver's cap. :thanx:
So that was like a $90 screw up!

That reminds me....."Ron" wanted to borrow the new set to make molds from.....Ron (Rudy).....you still out there? Still have my rail caps?

JHarris1385
10/24/2011, 06:08 PM
I have a set I would rather NOT sell but for the new low price of $295 I would let them go.

DaveMcKenz
10/24/2011, 06:14 PM
I bought some 5" x 7" aluminum roof flashing at Home depot. 10 pieces for $3. I'm pretty sure I can bend it up and paint it, in about 2 hours, all for less than $10. The original plastic pieces are nothing that special.

vt_maverick
10/24/2011, 06:28 PM
More recently, say the past year, a set of four originals have been selling for around $75 - $85.

Yup, IIRC I sold my last set of custom covers for $85 on eBay. Maybe there's just more VX's hitting the junkyards these days so there are more covers out there? Seems to hold true for the cross bars as well, at one point they were extremely hard to come by but now they seem to pop up here every few weeks (usually by Sue).

That reminds me, I have a spare set of cross bars with the original weather stripping, cover flaps, and hardware if anyone is interested. Very very good shape considering the condition of the vehicle I pulled them from. :yesy:

VX KAT
10/24/2011, 06:35 PM
I bought some 5" x 7" aluminum roof flashing at Home depot. 10 pieces for $3. I'm pretty sure I can bend it up and paint it, in about 2 hours, all for less than $10. The original plastic pieces are nothing that special.

Hmmm.....:_thinking
Can I hire you to make me some aluminum tread plate door sill protectors for me by chance? I've bought a 2'x2' sheet of thin alum tread plate (.032" thick)....but I think it's likely beyond my skill level....:goof:

DaveMcKenz
10/24/2011, 06:51 PM
Hmmm.....:_thinking
Can I hire you to make me some aluminum tread plate door sill protectors for me by chance? I've bought a 2'x2' sheet of thin alum tread plate (.032" thick)....but I think it's likely beyond my skill level....:goof:

Let me see your design, I'll take a look and see if I can do anything for you, or help you to DIY it. Your money would be no good here.
Dave

ron
10/25/2011, 07:43 AM
That reminds me....."Ron" wanted to borrow the new set to make molds from.....Ron (Rudy).....you still out there? Still have my rail caps?

Hey Kat...

Still here. I'm actually in the process of getting your set scanned (digitized) so I can either make molds from the CAD files or make prototypes from a 3d printer. Either way I'll keep you posted on results when I get it done. Rudy

VX KAT
10/25/2011, 08:56 AM
Hey Kat...

Still here. I'm actually in the process of getting your set scanned (digitized) so I can either make molds from the CAD files or make prototypes from a 3d printer. Either way I'll keep you posted on results when I get it done. Rudy

:thumbup: - sounds good!

Monstertrucker
10/25/2011, 09:34 AM
I have a spare set of cross bars with the original weather stripping, cover flaps, and hardware if anyone is interested. Very very good shape considering the condition of the vehicle I pulled them from. :yesy:

PM'd

JAMAS
10/25/2011, 10:51 AM
I have a set I would rather NOT sell but for the new low price of $295 I would let them go.

you funny.

DaveMcKenz
10/25/2011, 02:20 PM
Well I finished my aluminum flashing rail covers, painted and installed them. I sealed them with black silicone caulk around the edges and mounted with 3M high strength mounting tape. I would grade the project a "B". The sheen level is not perfect and neither is the profile. It took me 2 hours to build/paint and one hour to install. If I spent twice as much time, I could have got it nearly perfect. Maybe someday I'll redo it, but for now it is OK.
Dave

tom4bren
10/25/2011, 02:38 PM
pix or it didn't happen.:)

DaveMcKenz
10/25/2011, 03:31 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vx_roof_rails_2i.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21648)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vx_roof_rails_1i.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21649)

Daly
10/26/2011, 06:09 AM
Those look amazing for a first go round. Looks like all you need is right paint finish. Maybe you should offer them for both replacements for original and custom cut for roof rack.

The A Dog
10/26/2011, 07:57 AM
Next thing, they'll be claiming ownership and selling land on Earth too.

DOH!

LMAO!!! Oh don't be silly, that's crazy-talk! :D

circmand
10/26/2011, 08:03 AM
Why on earth are they so expensive? I just threw them in the garbage lol. I feel retarded now. I'm going to try to find them now lol.

I do not beleive extras were made or available. Who would have thought a couple of bucks of plastic could be so valuable? I sold mine for more than my roof rack cost me. Of course the price has gone up and down over the years. In my opinion a waste of money buy a roof rack

nfpgasmask
10/26/2011, 08:53 AM
I have to admit, when you said "make them outta aluminum flashing" I had a thought in my head of this place:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

But wow, that looks really nice!! I take back my thought! :thumbup:

Bart

DaveMcKenz
10/26/2011, 03:14 PM
Hi again,
After the paint cured for a day, I dulled it down with some 0000 steel wool. I have the sheen about right at this point. My rails seem to have faded so they are not as black as my rail caps. I may try some Showroom New on them, since I think they are plastic coated. The caps look better now, anyway.
Dave

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Roof_rail_caps_matte_finish.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21656)

VX KAT
10/26/2011, 07:23 PM
Hi again,
After the paint cured for a day, I dulled it down with some 0000 steel wool. I have the sheen about right at this point. My rails seem to have faded so they are not as black as my rail caps. I may try some Showroom New on them, since I think they are plastic coated. The caps look better now, anyway.
Dave

The roof rails were never a true black, they seem to be various shades of gray to darker gray. (OK, go ahead with the funny comments about the "color or the hood insert" from that thread long ago...:p :laugho::laugho:)

Also, watch out with the Showroom New dye.....it doesn't seem to absorb the same way on the shiny plastics as it does on the cladding. I think somebody tried it on some of the shiny smooth gray plastic...maybe on a mirror?? Anybody recall?

i used it on my exterior door handle and it worked OK, but that isn't as shiny and smooth as the mirror or the rails.

Monstertrucker
10/30/2011, 12:47 PM
LMAO!!! Oh don't be silly, that's crazy-talk! :D

Complete madness, I know! :mado: