PDA

View Full Version : Window Motor or Switch?

jmassa
10/24/2011, 10:48 AM
My drivers side window has finally died, does anyone know where I can find a power window motor replacement? I checked on the web and found two places, and ordered from both (cardone and JC Whitney), both came back with a message that this part is not available. Any ideas anyone?

tom4bren
10/24/2011, 10:52 AM
I'd do some troubleshooting first before replacing $$$ components. I recall one member who thought that his motor was bad but it ended up being the switch instead ... & he didn't have to replace it, just clean it. It's not a servicable item but it can be done.

fultonix
10/25/2011, 05:33 PM
I took mine to my mechanic and he said I needed new regulators on both sides because, mine tilt forward and have a hard time raising and lowering.

Grif
10/25/2011, 08:26 PM
@fultonix

This is a known issue. Many folx, myself included install the "SBC window brackets". Click http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11541&highlight=sbc+window+brackets

While this probably will not fix the original post, it will fix your window leaning problem quite well.

@jmassa

I have cleaned out my window switches with good effect. Carefull with disasembly, if you do not take them apart carefully, small parts will fly and re-assembly will be much more difficult. If your comfortable taking small electronics apart then it should not be a problem.

EDIT: In thinking back has anyone ever posted an incident of the window motors actually failing?? I just don't recall it EVER turning out to be a motor problem, always turned out to be a switch/wiring window alignment problem.

I took mine to my mechanic and he said I needed new regulators on both sides because, mine tilt forward and have a hard time raising and lowering.

jmassa
10/29/2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I've cleaned the switch and the tracks were well lubed and cleaned, the window was working, then it just stopped. I'm pretty sure this is a motor failure. I've looked online for a replacement (ordered one from Cardone, and they said that they don't rebuild these anymore). Anyone have any idea where I can get one? I just took it in for inspection and in Virginia it fails without the window working.

VX KAT
10/29/2011, 03:58 PM
Anyone have any idea where I can get one? I just took it in for inspection and in Virginia it fails without the window working.

1) You can order new Isuzu parts through "Merlin". He's our parts guru.
Been at this Isuzu dealership for something like 12+ years and is super knowledgeable about VX parts.
It's best to CALL, not email. And if you get voicemail, don't bother leaving a message.
Just keep calling until he answers it live....that's the best way we've found.

Merlin
St. Charles Isuzu
MISSOURI
(800) 727-8066
Mention the forum to get discount & free shipping.
Here's the website : (and it already has the discount)
http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/

2) If you find yourself with some time, you'd benefit by reading up on all these many "window fix" threads I compiled. There's a few different fixes that owners have found, and documented, but as Grif said, the "SBC" brackets work very well. But I realize you're not yet sure if yours is a motor or switch etc...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=235155&postcount=5

3) Otherwise, here's a listing of many many junkyards around the country that had a VX in their yard as of February/March of this year. Can call around to try to find the part.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20420&highlight=60+junkyards

DaveMcKenz
10/29/2011, 06:13 PM
On a slightly different slant, my passenger side window just died. Neither switch will make it open. I will be opening up the door panel sometime fairly soon, and I can live without a passenger window for a long time. Both switches non-op makes me think wiring or motor failure. I'll check the tracks for binding soon. Anyone with experience?
Thanks,
Dave

tom4bren
10/31/2011, 04:18 AM
jmassa,

To get it through state inspection, the motor doesn't need to work. The window only needs to be opened. You could disconnect the window from the lift mechanism, hold it closed with suction cups. For inspection hold the window up & remove suction cup, then lower & replace suction cup. (Don't ask me how I know this).

That'll buy you time to collect the parts you need without driving around with a dead inspection sticker.

Lemme know if you need help.

Tom

rsteinmetz70112
10/31/2011, 08:31 AM
To get it through state inspection, the motor doesn't need to work. The window only needs to be opened.

In my state they don't make you operate the window. I had a car with an broken driver and instead of rolling the window down I opened the door to hand the papers over. I've never had anyone check the passenger window.

tom4bren
10/31/2011, 08:58 AM
In my state they don't make you operate the window. I had a car with an broken driver and instead of rolling the window down I opened the door to hand the papers over. I've never had anyone check the passenger window.

In VA they do. I just saw them fail the guy in line in front of me 2 weeks ago for that very reason (& this is a very liberal inspection station).

jmassa
11/01/2011, 05:51 AM
Thanks Kat, I'll check with Merlin.

@Tom, thanks for the tip. You are correct, they definitely fail you in VA if the driver side window will not go up and down. I've been going to the same place for 10 years, with every car/truck/motorcycle I own (and it's a lot), but, if the window doesn't work, then I fail.

Jeff

DaveMcKenz
11/06/2011, 12:24 PM
On a slightly different slant, my passenger side window just died. Neither switch will make it open. I will be opening up the door panel sometime fairly soon, and I can live without a passenger window for a long time. Both switches non-op makes me think wiring or motor failure. I'll check the tracks for binding soon. Anyone with experience?
Thanks,
Dave

Hi,
I am officially dumb. There is a passenger window lockout switch on the driver's armrest window controls. I didn't know, didn't see it and must have pressed it without knowing. Anyway, I pressed it again, and all windows work fine again. It's in the manuals and electrical troubleshooting guide.
Dave

Cobrajet
11/06/2011, 03:56 PM
Hi,
I am officially dumb. There is a passenger window lockout switch on the driver's armrest window controls. I didn't know, didn't see it and must have pressed it without knowing. Anyway, I pressed it again, and all windows work fine again. It's in the manuals and electrical troubleshooting guide.
Dave
http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgmp0163+homer-simpson-doh-the-simpsons-mini-poster.jpg

I thought of that, but it had been mentioned in every other switch failure thread and just assumed you had done a search. I figured someone else would mention it anyway. Oh, well, live and learn. And never assume...

VX KAT
11/06/2011, 05:06 PM
Hi,
Dave

I thought of that too, .....but only because I was officially dumb before you were! :laugho: Welcome to the "special" club! :goof:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15303&highlight=window+sbc+installed

RickOKC
11/07/2011, 05:09 AM
Another member of the Special Club reporting in. (http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=236009&postcount=13) :)

VX KAT
11/07/2011, 09:02 AM
Another member of the Special Club reporting in. (http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=236009&postcount=13) :)

Thanks Rick, I knew there was another member and was trying to find that yesterday and couldn't! Phew, now I can go on with my life now...:thumbup:

BTW, How was the rockin' & rollin' earth your way?

RickOKC
11/07/2011, 10:09 AM
BTW, How was the rockin' & rollin' earth your way?Apparently I can sleep through anything. :yesgray: I didn't even know about it until I heard it on the news the next day. I'm especially surprised Dot the Skeerdy-Dog didn't wake me up to tell me about it.

raf10
11/07/2011, 11:45 AM
My drivers side window has finally died, does anyone know where I can find a power window motor replacement? I checked on the web and found two places, and ordered from both (cardone and JC Whitney), both came back with a message that this part is not available. Any ideas anyone?

I have nem window reguletor new in box

RickOKC
11/07/2011, 07:03 PM
Apparently I can sleep through anything. :yesgray: I didn't even know about it until I heard it on the news the next day. I'm especially surprised Dot the Skeerdy-Dog didn't wake me up to tell me about it.
Ha... just had another little earthquake (early report says 4.7 mag.) It was enough to make some rumbley noises and the house jiggled around like jello (lime-flavored) for about 10 seconds. This time Dot the Skeerdy-Dog hopped up on the couch to "protect me" - and hasn't left my side since. :rolleyes: :)

Wow, what a 24-hour period for Oklahoma: Earthquakes, floods, thunderstorms & tornadoes. Tomorrow we have hellfire and swarms of locust scheduled; should be a busy day. :uhohgray: