PDA

View Full Version : Should I be alarmed?

totallto
10/01/2003, 08:21 PM
As some of you know I have just got my VX!
and I would like to keep my VX. I just don’t
know if it has an alarm in it. I see that there
is a LED on one of the buttons just to the left
of the stereo. This LED stays on at all times.
I did take a quick up under the dash by the
Pedals and saw some things that may be
the alarm brain but I’m not sure. My question
is, do I have an alarm or is it just a dummy LED
and if I do have an alarm can I get a replacement
remote control? Thanks again

Lightproof
10/01/2003, 08:52 PM
Here is a link to the alarm manual...

http://www.itprisms.com/vehicross/vehicross_alarm_manual.pdf

funny title! ;Db;

hchen
10/02/2003, 12:09 AM
is it a red bulb or a blue one...you should know if it's an alarm..'cause if you've been using it and you didnt have the remote...you wouldnt be able to start it. and you'd probably run out of battery by now 'cause the alarm would be sounding off

ScubaSteve
10/02/2003, 04:50 AM
yeah, you've got one -- alarms are factory installed. your local Zu dealer can getcha a new remote and (using your VIN i think) can program that bad boy...

then if you're still not convinced you have an alarm, find a parking lot, wait for some frail old maid to mosey on past your truck, and hold the top button in for 5 seconds:evil2:

-scuba

ScubaSteve
10/02/2003, 04:55 AM
Oh and about your LED staying on all the time... it's a sensor telling you that the alarm needs reset.

Don't take it to the dealer... it's something you can do yourself. Turn the ignition to ON while holding in the brake. Place your thumb over the LED and hold it there til the horn sounds briefly. That should do it... save you some $ at the dealer!:yes:

Tiger66
10/02/2003, 06:36 AM
My alarm crapped out last year. The red LED stayed lite and the remote would not work the locks. However, everything worked fine; started, ran, etc. Only had to use the key to lock/unlock the doors. No secret reset procedures would work. I had it replaced. $250+ for the control box itself plus $15 to have it flown in from God knows where. Ouch, but it worked. Hope you have better luck.

AREA 51
10/02/2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ScubaSteve
Place your thumb over the LED ???????

Yes, and with your left hand swing a dead cat over your head 9 times.

ScubaSteve
10/02/2003, 07:49 AM
I'm tellin' you it works... if it doesn't you sound the horn, you have to hold in the black button to the left of the side mirror defroster button. It's the one without a little white label. For some reason you have to push REALLY HARD...:cool:

totallto
10/02/2003, 07:49 AM
Wow, thanks yall, I will run up the street to the zuzu place and
have a remote orderd! I hope the alarm still works. The zuzu place up the street sead it would cost me $300 rocks to get a new one. I hope I dont have to pay like Tiger66 did. though:rolleyes:

thanks again :clap:

totallto
10/02/2003, 03:43 PM
Well, went to the zuzu place and put in my order.
Now, I did not give em no vin #, they just sent for new remotes.
Do I need to take the my VX in for them to reset the alarm to the new remotes? Or do I just do as ScubaSteve says?

thanks
aj

Lightproof
10/02/2003, 03:54 PM
Check this thread out...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1969&highlight=new+remote

AlaskaVX
10/02/2003, 03:58 PM
Scuba is crazy! How in the hell will holding your thumb over an LED, or pushing the button that doesn't move, help? :confused:

totallto
10/02/2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah, you got a point there AlaskaVX!:p

VehiX
10/02/2003, 04:17 PM
All you have to do is disconnect and reconnect the negative battery terminal. You need only disconnect for about 15 seconds , no more.

Be careful when re-connecting it as the horn sounds, it will scare the hell out of you but your alarm will work again after this.

This is THE ONLY post in this thread that will work for you :)

Don't listen to these other folks that appear to be pulling your leg or have no idea what they are talking about!

Enjoy your new ride!

SGT.BATGUANO
10/03/2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by VehiX

This is THE ONLY post in this thread that will work for you :)

Don't listen to these other folks that appear to be pulling your leg or have no idea what they are talking about!

Enjoy your new ride!

Vehix, you sure about that? I could swear the " dead cat " thing was valid.:)

VehiX
10/03/2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
Vehix, you sure about that? I could swear the " dead cat " thing was valid.:)

Alright, alright......You can do the dead cat trick but only do this while disconnecting the battery for better results.

He may look kind of silly during the process but at least the results will be rewarding ;)

Lightproof
10/03/2003, 10:51 AM
Totallto -

So, did you try one of these solutions? :smack: Which one worked?

Also, (just curious) what does your user name mean? :confused:

Thanks!

totallto
10/03/2003, 03:50 PM
Totall was a name I got In jr. High school.
Totall was a pro ball player for the cowboys.
And no I have not tryed the above
Going to get the remote first.
Did I see you in lakewood today?
saw a black VX with a rack on top today.
flashed my lights at em but no reaction.
:confused:

Lightproof
10/05/2003, 06:24 PM
Did I see you in lakewood today?

No, wasn't me - I still don't have my VX - it's in transit from Florida.

Clyde
10/05/2003, 08:07 PM
I saw the link to the other post about how to program the remote for keyless entry/arming the alarm, but how do you program the remote for the other button and your garage door opener? It would be nice to get rid of my little 2"X4"X1" box on the visor.

totallto
10/06/2003, 07:31 PM
LIGHTPROOF,
What I did today was go to the zuzu place and picked up the two transmitters I had ordered. Then I did what VEHIX suggested and disconnected the battery and reconnected it to a wailing horn as VEHIX alluded to since it needed to be reset. I waited until the horn stopped sounding then I put the key into the ignition as KAL-EL suggested and followed his procedure.
I still had a second transmitter that I needed to program into the alarm brain. I left the ignition on and pressed the green button again for the second remote. Thus arming the alarm brain with signals from both of my remotes—Cool.

Lightproof when you get your rig we will have to get-together.
I do know there are two other VX here in Lakewood. You know the black one that I mentioned and a red too. I now where the guy with the red one works.
Talk to you later
Thanks to you all for the help, even the guy with dead cat idea.
Oh yeah, does anyone have a answer to CLYDE’s question?

VehiX
10/06/2003, 08:03 PM
A search on the old forum produced this answer from VehiCROSS4EJR

You have to buy a kit from Isuzu which includes a small box unit that gets wired to the terminals on that motor unit in the ceiling of your garage. The box unit can be mounted almost anywhere (providing the wires are long enough) within your garage. To program it, it's as easy as holding a button in on the box unit and pressing the option button on your keyless remote. It programs the button automatically to open your garage door.
I bought the kit some time ago through a dealership, don't remember what the cost was but it is a huge convenience!

:)

Raque Thomas
10/07/2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Clyde
I saw the link to the other post about how to program the remote for keyless entry/arming the alarm, but how do you program the remote for the other button and your garage door opener? It would be nice to get rid of my little 2"X4"X1" box on the visor.

Does anyone know anything about the "homelink" systems that some of the newer cars have built into their sunvisors (I know some Chryslers & Mitsu's have them)? There are three small buttons built into the sunvisor that will work your garage door(s) and another remote item. I wonder if you could buy one of those visors at a junk yard and graft the buttons to our visor? Probably cheaper than the $125 Isuzu wants for their piece, and more convenient than fumbling with your key fob as you drive up the driveway. Something tells me there's probably more to it, though. Like a "brain", or being built into some internal circuitry in the car - anybody know?

Clyde
10/07/2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info on the garage door button option VehiX.

That sounds like an good idea raquethomas. I'm like you however in that I don't know exactly what all they have running that little module. It would be interesting to try that to see if it would work. :)

AlaskaVX
10/08/2003, 01:54 PM
About the garage door opener, I just don't see it working too well since the range is so short. I mean, I have to be about 15' away for it to work and I doubt going through a garage door will help :(