PDA

View Full Version : Catching up on some maintenence, but rear door is killin me!

etlsport
10/22/2011, 07:52 PM
Been doing a lot of maintenance on my VX lately.. in the past month I have..

Replaced rear pads and rotors
Replaced front pads rotors wheel bearings, repack etc
Dropped trans pan, replaced filter and gasket (was leaking)
Rear diff drain and fill
replaced 5 channel amp (old one started overheating)
re-wired air horn for faster response

only major project i have left is timing belt/water pump etc and i should be good for a while. shes still running strong at 122k

one huge annoyance i have been dealing with is my rear door rattles like crazy! every time i hit a bump it sounds like i have a box full of hammers behind the seats. any tips on how to get it to close a little tighter? i have moved the latch a couple of times sort of randomly and it will help for a day then come right back. Is there a secret to setting the door properly so that it doesnt move after 20 miles?

Triathlete
10/22/2011, 10:06 PM
After reading the post title all I could think of was...

..."that's what she said"!

As for the noise, the 2 things that cause noise on mine have been the spare coming loose and the cover coming loose.

RickOKC
10/23/2011, 07:05 AM
I describe a different problem here, but rattling was a part of the issue.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18456&highlight=

etlsport
10/23/2011, 02:28 PM
mine is definitely the door itself, i replaced my spare and the cover with a subwoofer. thanks for the link rick.. mine does what you describe so i will try advice from that thread

LittleBeast
10/23/2011, 03:50 PM
I have the exact same probably. I have reinforced everything back there and yet still the sub/door something back there sounds like it is totally loose after a few days of driving around.

RickOKC
10/23/2011, 05:02 PM
Another thought on rattles, have you definitely ruled out the back seat? Mine can produce a pretty "heavy-sounding" rattle. Whenever it's in the VX, I always fold it forward to keep the noise down. I've forgotten and left the backrests upright before and couldn't wait to pull over and fold them forward. Pretty bad!

After reading the post title all I could think of was...

..."that's what she said"!
That's why I always call it the cargo door. Not the rear door; would never even consider talking about my back door around this crowd. :laughing:

LittleBeast
10/23/2011, 07:00 PM
Haha, I have my entire interior removed at the moment it definitely has something to do with the door I think ;-)

etlsport
10/24/2011, 03:30 AM
Ya no back seat here either. I rode around in the back of my vx and pulling on the door gets rid of the sound. Adjusting the striker does too but only for a day or two. I'm thinking loc tite on the screws us next.. But id like to find hex head first for better grip just in case

samneil2000
10/24/2011, 05:44 AM
I wonder if you could attach a few of those round rubber bumpers strategically around the door. Maybe a couple underneath it for it to rest on....