PDA

View Full Version : Ripped CV Boots after 3" lift

Enrike
10/22/2011, 01:25 PM
Hello... In need a little bit of help

15 days go I installed a calmini 3 inch lift to my VX but I notice that the inboard CV boot ripped... also after installing the lift I noticed that the angle on the axle arms is quite agressive is this normal??... Is there something I can do to improve this condition??... are there performance CV boots that can help this condition??...

Thank you all,

Best Regards
Enrike

Ebenezr
10/22/2011, 01:37 PM
Look at the threads on "diff" drops. You need to drop your front differential. :)

Ebenezr
10/22/2011, 01:46 PM
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19299&highlight=differential+drop

go to this link and scroll down to see the pictures of the painted brackets. They have been removed and cut welded and extended. then painted. crawl under your truck and you will see.

JoFotoz
10/22/2011, 01:53 PM
It is not uncommon for a boot to tear right after a lift.
They have been working at a given angle for years, and the lift
flexes them in a whole new direction...it happened to me and many others.

After lifting ( and without a diff drop) I replaced my torn boot with a Dorman (O'Riellys) brand boot and have had no problems.

#614-001 = outer boot

#614-002 = inner boot

The diff drop certainly helps with angle, but gives a corresponding drop in ground clearance.

So its a trade off!

PS..I see you are in TJ..Hi from San Diego!

jo

Enrike
10/22/2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks Guys... for th advice... You are right Jo, I'm just a cross the border... Just one more question... are those the part numbers for the CV boots??

Thanks Again

Best Regards

Enrike

JoFotoz
10/22/2011, 05:03 PM
Yup..those are part No's for the Dorman brand, stocked by O'Reillys.

Good to have another VX close !

Jo

Hybrid1098
10/22/2011, 09:57 PM
Hey guys from LA. In the market for a Vehicross still and hopefully will pick mine up soon.

If I change all four CV boots, will it still put undue pressure on them that they end up tearing faster due to the aggressive angle?

I want the highest clearance I can get without sacrificing reliability and durability.

Enrike
10/22/2011, 11:08 PM
How much can I lift the vx by turning the torsion bars with the 3 inch lift??... Can the vx be leveled just by turning the torsion bars??... My vx has the calmini lift bur currently the front part of the vehicle looks lower than the back by 1.5 inches aprox... Is this normal with the lift kit??

JoFotoz
10/23/2011, 10:10 AM
In a word, yes, it can be levelled.

How much can I lift the vx by turning the torsion bars with the 3 inch lift??... Can the vx be leveled just by turning the torsion bars??... My vx has the calmini lift bur currently the front part of the vehicle looks lower than the back by 1.5 inches aprox... Is this normal with the lift kit??

You can crank the torsion bars to level off the vehicle, and this should be done/have been done when the new springs were put in the back.
Angle of 'stance' is a personal thing, some like a tad nose down, others level.
Also..the more you crank the T/B's, the greater the angle of your shafts/CV's.

When cranking the T/B's..its best to index the bolts clearly so that you can crank them EQUALLY both sides.
(Spraying them liberally with liquid wrench or similar a couple of times over 24 hours will help A LOT!)

REMEMBER...after cranking to desired 'stance'..GET AN ALIGNMENT DONE !!

If you are up in San Diego, come visit and I'll give you a hand if you need it...
..I'm in Pacific Beach.

Jo

Now we return to Chargers beating up on the jets!!:thumbup:

waymore35
11/26/2011, 02:03 PM
I added a 3" Calmini to my VX this weekend and it seemed to raise it more than 4". Will this settle any, or were my original springs already sagging that much? Also, the more I crank the torsion bars to raise the front, the more the back comes up.