PDA

View Full Version : My journey to moab and beyond

Marlin
10/20/2011, 03:27 PM
Preface:
For those that don't know, I am in the process of moving from SC to WAin support of my upcoming deployment. I shipped my vx to kc,mo.

Last week I took the wife and her RS wheeling in tuttle creek,ks, thevideos are on my FB and utube.

Yesterday I headed out for washington with the vx jam packed,sans backseats. I bought a new kicker solobaric 10L3, damn it hits har now.

Anyway, I drove 750 miles yesteday to georgetown,co. I deided to play isuzu bingo to keep my sanity. Even playing with only myself (that was for tom) I still lost. 1000 miles,only 7 zus. 4 rodeos, a pup, a trooper and an impulse. Very sad.

The vx ran like a champ. She took her medicine (1qrt oil) like a big girl. I have been qadding lucas oil every fill up. I got 15-16mpg except the last tank from georgetown to grand junction, 19.7mpg!!!

I will have an exact cargo weight when I get to washington, I woud guess somewhere round 600lbs.

I am here in moab alone, droe around till I found some well built imports. I am now tagging along with some yotas for the weekend!

I would like to give special thanks to verizon for providing 99% 3g coverage on I70 all the way to loveland pass. Also shout out to pandora and the ability to stream music to my headunit via bluetooth. I may have died otherwise, my sirius expired last month.

Marlin
10/20/2011, 03:32 PM
PS, sue, forgivemy spelling and grammar errors, I am typing all this on my andi-7+ tablet.

I forgot to mention, my trip through vail, I was running 65ish, I flogged the oldgirl. First down shift, 5k rpms, she farted a cloud of smoke, not sure what color, it was night time. I hope it was black. Not a peep from her since, she rarely sees freeway speeds, and hasn't been pushed like that in 3 years. It was good for her.:)

Marlin
10/20/2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_WaqTUvLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu194U_i9CE

VXorado
10/20/2011, 04:38 PM
Nice videos, looks fun!

Seems like a rear locker would have helped the VX up that ledge, the front wheels didn't have enough weight for the locker to be effective.

JoFotoz
10/20/2011, 05:53 PM
Maybe you had it on....

..but I kept shouting "Bit'o E Brake" at the video!

:_steering

jo

Marlin
10/20/2011, 07:34 PM
No, I never hit the brake, going back and watching, well u know what they say bout hindsight.
Well, Hell's revenge in the dark is no joke. No major damage, I did everything the two SASed yotas did. Only damage I can find, another torn boot on front prop shaft and the front third pinion seal is leaking. I can live with that. They were very surprised I kept up with them.

TexVeX
10/20/2011, 07:43 PM
Nice. Especially liked the first vid.

JoFotoz
10/20/2011, 09:39 PM
Yea..Love Hindsight..gets me all the time!

Hells revenge is one of my favs..lots'o good stuff.
If you get a chance...Steel Bender is a great trail too...
...as is Cliff hanger.

When ya get to the wall on Steel bender.....go straight down it....

...when ya get to the 3 way (??3 different ways up the hill) go LEFT, and crawl..with a touch of "momentummm" at the top!!

Wish I was there...

jo

Marlin
10/20/2011, 09:47 PM
Trying to do goldbar rim tomorrow,. Not my group, so I have no say, I am just along for the ride.

JoFotoz
10/20/2011, 09:50 PM
NICE!!

Trying to do goldbar rim tomorrow,. Not my group, so I have no say, I am just along for the ride.

..great sites...good mixture...nothing really crazy.

jo

Etfren
10/21/2011, 12:00 PM
How long and in what part of WA are you going to be stationed in? I'd love to go wheeling with you when I get my truck all fixed up.

Marlin
10/21/2011, 07:18 PM
I will be in everett for about 5 weeks. Im down to wheel.
Did elephant hill today. The group was blown away by the vx. They were hopping and spinning up ledges, I ran my normal crawl style. It was a blast. I am heading out tomorrow for washington. 1200 miles, I hate my seat:( the vx is so loud, lol. Im going deaf. Hopefully hit some snow on the way.

VXorado
10/21/2011, 08:47 PM
I hate my seat:( the vx is so loud, lol. Im going deaf. Hopefully hit some snow on the way.

I have to recommend the wet okole seat covers if your seat is bugging you. It has a nice thick cushion, I recently sold mine to Jo and I can definitely notice the difference in comfort without them.

JoFotoz
10/21/2011, 11:49 PM
Ditto on the "Wet Okole"..

...I'm on my second set ( first new/ second GOOD used), great value over 6 years.
Take e'm out..hose 'em down.
Good as ...:p

Elaphant Hill..Yup!..
.what up with Gold bar?

jo

Ebenezr
10/22/2011, 02:06 PM
That was fun to watch. ha ha. loved the wifes comment under her breath: "he's gonna get stuck" lol. I guess you dont have a locker in your rear. :)

Marlin
10/22/2011, 08:08 PM
I put wet okole on my 06 explorer, 07 expedition and 10 f150. I love em. No gold bar, I hit the road today and made it 700 miles to ontario oregon. VX got 17mpg at 75mph on nonhippie gas! No ethanol=mad powerand fuel efficiency! I will be in everett tomorrow afternoon.

Marlin
10/23/2011, 05:53 PM
Well, the 2458 mile, 47 hrs of seat time was not a waste. She averaged 16.3 mpg, not including trail miles. And......I saw a proton in washington!
its beautiful up here!
Here was my morning scdnery in oregon:
http://m203.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/nfntruth/photobucket-2539-1319382775065.mp4.html?newest=1

Here is a pic from a somewhat narrow spot in elepphant hill. Not much, "but damn she's a sexy bitch"
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/photobucket-1400-1319290706228.jpg

samneil2000
10/24/2011, 05:55 AM
Too bad you rolled your VX on its side.:bgwb:

Marlin
10/24/2011, 06:59 AM
Thos sticky tires kept her falling all yhebway down.
Taking pics with my phone is confusing since the screen autorotates to orient pics right side up, I can't tell if its sideways until I post it. Smart phone be too smart.