PDA

View Full Version : Need help asap

RabidPony
10/16/2011, 04:13 PM
Just put in ome 913's and cranked the bars. Now I have heavy toe out on both sides. I followed the how to's and did the ball joint flip. Sun is starting to fade and I won't even be able to get it to an alignment shop like this.

JoFotoz
10/16/2011, 05:01 PM
Go get an alignment....after lifting..ya have to!

Jo

RabidPony
10/16/2011, 05:07 PM
I know that, but 2" of toe out on both sides isn't driveable. I was not expecting that. And the damn tie rod ends are frozen so I can't adjust them.

JoFotoz
10/16/2011, 05:19 PM
OK....I'm a tad lost. (go figure!)

I know that, but 2" of toe out on both sides isn't driveable. I was not expecting that. And the damn tie rod ends are frozen so I can't adjust them.

...never ( and I have done a few lifts, for me, and several for others)..have I had a Toe ..
..in/out issue?

JBTW..2 inches isnt "undrivable"...short/very short term.....but very STRANGE!

And never had to adjust Tie rods...??

OK..I'm done.

I will watch here..I am :confused:

jo

RabidPony
10/16/2011, 05:36 PM
That's why I'm so lost. I read every post and how to about lifting and followed the steps in the how to's to the letter. There is a lot of positive camber that I was expecting, but the massive toe out has me completely confused. Not to mention to tires are eating the fenders but that's just cranking the bars more.

RabidPony
10/16/2011, 05:40 PM
Curious, when doing the ball joint flip, do you just flip the top or do you do the bottom too? I flipped the top bur everything I found had no mention of the lowers so I put them back under the lower control arm where they were originally.

Bob Barker
10/16/2011, 05:53 PM
I believe it's just the top ball joint.

So the only thing you did with the front suspension was cranking the torsion bars? There's no real reason for that much camber (or is that caster?) Either way, no real reason for that. I've got 912's which are a bit taller and I raised my front to level with that, and didn't have that issue. Nothing else was changed on front suspension?

RabidPony
10/16/2011, 06:19 PM
Mystery solved. I was being rushed so I didn't take the time to properly compare old and new parts. I changed out the upper and lower ball joints in the process of lifting but in the middle of it my apartment manager and came out and informed me, in a very snotty fashion, that they no longer allow vehicle maintenance here and told me to move it. She then proceeded to have her little intern/kissass to come by and remind me every 30 minutes. Anyway, I was ina a hurry and didn't notice until now that the new lower ball joints are significantly shorter than the old ones. So, now I have to get the right lower ball joints, find somewhere to work on the car, and have it towed there. Lovely.

Riff Raff
10/16/2011, 06:21 PM
Hopefully, you have full coverage insurance on your VX which includes "towing" coverage. Just contact a local reputable towing company and specifically request a "slant/tilt bed" tow truck (not hook-type), and transport your VX on a flatbed to the nearest Firestone shop for an alignment (might as well purchase their lifetime Firestone alignment program). Afterwards, submit your towing receipt to your insurance company for monetary reimbursement (claiming mechanical road-side breakdown). The alignment folks at Firestone will get you fixed properly.

:bgwb:

RabidPony
10/16/2011, 06:31 PM
I can definitely say that this is the last time i ever get parts off of ebay.

VXorado
10/16/2011, 09:42 PM
Same thing happened to me with my ball joints off ebay...complete junk. Also the ball joint flip is only necessary if you have negative camber because it causes positive camber. People think its necessary for some reason but its really specific to your alignment.

BigSwede
10/19/2011, 11:07 AM
Sounds like maybe you got ball joints for a 92-94 Trooper...they are about 1" shorter than 95+ Troopers (and VXs).

BigSwede
10/19/2011, 11:12 AM
Also the ball joint flip is only necessary if you have negative camber because it causes positive camber. People think its necessary for some reason but its really specific to your alignment.

Yeah...at 2" you may or may not need the BJ flip. At 3" I would say yes you would need it, at 1" probably not. Either way, hopefully your alignment shop is not afraid of playing with camber shims. Definitely take it to a good alignment shop, not a chain store that does "computerized" alignments.

Here in Minneapolis there is a alignment specialty shop (Hoover Alignment) that I always take my Isuzus to. They never have a problem, whereas Sears tried 6 times and couldn't get it right on my old 99 Trooper.

RabidPony
10/21/2011, 05:02 PM
Problem solved. Got the right lower ball joints in there and all is copacetic. Still fine tuning the fender trimming but it is actually damn close to 0* camber. I think it was like +0.2*. But I actually adjusted it down a little after measuring that so I'll check again tomorrow after I drive it some more. Loving it thus far, just need to hunt down some 4.77's to go with them. Next mod will be a removable assembly for hanging two 5 gallon jerry cans off the rear hatch. :bgwo:

VXorado
10/21/2011, 08:33 PM
Next mod will be a removable assembly for hanging two 5 gallon jerry cans off the rear hatch. :bgwo:

Interesting, I'm also working on a rear door carrier project.