PDA

View Full Version : Vehicross.. " Pie Wagon "...!!??

JoFotoz
10/13/2011, 01:43 PM
Having seen the photochop pic Boarzhead put up of his plans...

..I thought I may as well share mine now too.

I constructed this model a few weeks ago to get a better idea of the actual "look" with the rear/side windows removed.
This is a plan hatched on "THE STOOP" ( .:_beer:..:smack:..:_beer:.. ) last year, given the body work the ORW needs.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/gfxc_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21615)

I LOVE the look...and after seeing Boarzheads photochop mock up...
...I love it MORE.

So.. any thoughts..input.. or derision!

Fire away..is it..:thumbup:...or...:thumbdn:

Jo

atilla_the_fun
10/13/2011, 02:10 PM
It would look better with a faux giant side scoop.

JoFotoz
10/13/2011, 02:29 PM
Yea...

It would look better with a faux giant side scoop...

...that could work, but a mud / water trap.

I was thinking of a 70's style oval/round/tear drop window.

"If the vans a rockin"...ya know the rest!

jo

VXorado
10/13/2011, 03:51 PM
I have an idea :yes:. My hood is vinyl wrapped "satin black." Its fairly cheap, $50 for a 4'x6' section, easy to apply & removable. What if you bought some vinyl wrap & laid it over the panel/window? You could stretch the wrap across the "window seam" to give a smooth appearance. It would be temporary but it would give the illusion of a solid panel so you can see if its what you want. At least you would be certain before putting the time & money making a solid panel... just a thought.

BOARZHEAD
10/13/2011, 04:51 PM
People said it would make it harder to shift lanes but i cant see crap out of mine anyway cause im up so high. I think it will look great cause im doing it military flat tan.

Gussie2000
10/13/2011, 05:21 PM
Me like it

JoFotoz
10/13/2011, 05:58 PM
Yea..rear side vision is already a non event!

People said it would make it harder to shift lanes but i cant see crap out of mine anyway cause im up so high. I think it will look great cause im doing it military flat tan.

I love the idea of Military Flat tan.
Right now I'm heading in the direction of all over Rhino Liner ..
..but maybe flat black paint and Rhino cladding.

Not the really coarse Rhino..just a hint of texture.

We shall see!

jo

TexVeX
10/13/2011, 05:59 PM
I like the look.
You could even put some sort of cool design or logo there.

JoFotoz
10/13/2011, 06:03 PM
Your idea is one I considered.

I have an idea :yes:. My hood is vinyl wrapped "satin black." Its fairly cheap, $50 for a 4'x6' section, easy to apply & removable. What if you bought some vinyl wrap & laid it over the panel/window? You could stretch the wrap across the "window seam" to give a smooth appearance. It would be temporary but it would give the illusion of a solid panel so you can see if its what you want. At least you would be certain before putting the time & money making a solid panel... just a thought.

But after seeing Boarzheads rendition....

...and staring at the model I built every night on top of the TV.....

.......I want it!

Now its just a $$'s and time (:smack: ) situation!

Jo

MustangO4
10/13/2011, 06:44 PM
I did the tan thing once. Went back to black. It is not as cool as it sounds.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMGA1010.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMGA1345.JPG

I do like the panel idea. What we really need is a good rear door mod that increases visibility. The tire is worthless anyway.

Ldub
10/13/2011, 07:13 PM
:laughing:

You know I'm kidd'n Bro.

Two-a-dees 4 U...:thumbup:.:thumbup:

JoFotoz
10/13/2011, 07:19 PM
:jump:...that was funny a few weeks ago when I e-mailed you the model pic.

Second time ...yea not so much!

Its a quick pic of the model, and a tad bit o'photochop..gimme a break!

But then again...maybe its all part of the plan....:p

jo

RickOKC
10/13/2011, 07:28 PM
You can doo eeeet!

If I was brave enough to do this I would tint the liner on the "painted" sections a dark Army green.

VXjunky
10/13/2011, 09:01 PM
having grown up driving VW vans my first decade of driving....you get used to driving with side mirrors and fish eyes....i think it actually makes you a more conscientious, thus better driver

BOARZHEAD
10/13/2011, 09:35 PM
Also gonna plastic weld interior so it looks stock where window was.

Riff Raff
10/13/2011, 09:41 PM

Absolute Genious!!! I really like the "vinyl wrapped" idea a lot. It gives the same illusion as a Panel Delivery truck (i.e. for a Proton Panel Delivery). Is way more cheaper and cost effective than permanent metal body panel modification, and allows current owner (or next owner) to revert the VX back to original side window condition if so desired later on (win, win).

:bgwb:

BTW-- I totally agree with others, that the 3rd quarter rear side windows are worthless for spotting traffic and I depend upon my side mirrors and rear door window (with fresnel sticky lens) for spotting adjacent lane traffic.

BOARZHEAD
10/13/2011, 10:53 PM
Got my mind working. Heres a pic inside
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/javelinstorm/e035a08e616468d1b0500bc12dcc11e9.gif

JHarris1385
10/13/2011, 10:59 PM
That looks great!

The flush look of the tinted windows up front and the black in the back is great. That wouldn't look as good on mine though! Well maybe?

I have been driving without a rear view mirror for about 1.5 years now...broke it off, off-roading (head hit it). I had already raised it and planned prior to breaking it to incorporate it higher and in the ceiling but never have yet. So yeah, those back windows are worthless (traffic wise).

LittleBeast
10/13/2011, 11:51 PM
As I said on Boarzhead's photo:

"Don't get me wrong that kind of looks cool, but why? It takes some of the unique lines of the VX and destroys them. Plus you are basically going backwards as far as visibility. To each there own, and this will look pretty sweet, but I still think it makes it look more like a PT cruiser. That sharp angle of the rear window was WAY ahead of its time, and new SUVs are just now starting to use angles likes that on the rear window glass. Not sure I like getting rid of that or the unique pillar shape between both small rear windows."

You all are correct that visibility already sucks and makes you become a more aware and hence better driver, but what if someone else borrows your car? Or the Valet guy has to park it? That is what I am thinking of. But yeah I just don't see the point in ruining a perfectly good great looking window, but to each their own, looks kinda cool :-)

VXorado
10/14/2011, 06:08 AM
I still think it makes it look more like a PT cruiser.

A lot like this PT Cruiser.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/01images/ptpanel.jpg

Ldub
10/14/2011, 07:15 AM
I'm not "nay-saying" here, cuz I like the look...:yesgray:

But with those windows deleted, where ya gonna put all your Moab event stickers & stuff..:confused:.:smilewink

samneil2000
10/14/2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not "nay-saying" here, cuz I like the look...:yesgray:

But with those windows deleted, where ya gonna put all your Moab event stickers & stuff..:confused:.:smilewink

Where the windows used to be. :bgwb:

I think it looks pretty cool. I've always been a fan of the old panel vans.

nfpgasmask
10/14/2011, 09:34 AM
I like it. I think it would look good if a metal panel was welded in place and then smoothed out and the whole thing repainted. It would have to be a pro job, obviously. What would really look cool is a decal of some sort in place of the window. With that area covered, you will have a lot of dead space to fill up, so to speak.

I think tan/sand color is not right for the VX. The VX is just too futuristic looking for that kind of paint job, but that's just my opinion. Now, the tan on my 1st gen Trooper looks perfect on these old school military-ish boxes.

:) Bart

MustangO4
10/14/2011, 01:49 PM
Am I the only guy that thought "Pie Wagon" was a clever play on a more crude phrase meaning that VXs attract women?

Ldub
10/14/2011, 03:08 PM
Am I the only guy that thought "Pie Wagon" was a clever play on a more crude phrase meaning that VXs attract women?

Ummmm...not exactly..:mbrasd:

TexVeX
10/14/2011, 06:52 PM
Uh oh, They attract women? I'm in trouble if I get mine back. LOL. Naw, actually being a chic in one, its guys that take second looks, or DID, at mine when I turned the corner and all. Especially young guys, so I know they were looking at the car and not me. Heheh.

BOARZHEAD
10/14/2011, 08:11 PM
When I drive mine out here people have the funniest expressions. But one thing for sure... Kids love it. You can just see them telling thier parents HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THAT TRUCK. Love it.

Ldub
10/14/2011, 08:53 PM
Uh oh, They attract women? I'm in trouble if I get mine back. LOL. Naw, actually being a chic in one, its guys that take second looks, or DID, at mine when I turned the corner and all. Especially young guys, so I know they were looking at the car and not me. Heheh.

Oh Yah...seriously...:yesgray:

Being an old, wrinkled, fat guy, I tend to attract a lot of attention from young buff dudes too, I feel your pain...:yesgray:

OH SNAP!...:(

You think they were look'n at my truck?...aw crap...:laughing: