PDA

View Full Version : Buying a VX and sending to Mongolia. HELP!

Hybrid1098
10/13/2011, 03:35 AM
Hello everyone,

First post with a healthy amount of questions. I have scoured the search options and have just read the forum from afar and decided to jump in and introduce myself.

Well as the title states, I am buying a 2000 VX with over 120,000 miles and am planning on taking her to the coldest national capital on earth which is Ulaan Bataar in Mongolia. I have about a year to a year and a half to build it up to spec so I do not get stranded in weather that presumably can get to -40 degrees. Average coldest temps get to about -15F or so.

I plan on lifting a small amount (3-5") and putting larger tires but do not want to tax the cars suspension too much. I will be taking this through the Mongolian outback and it will get taxed.

I am a car/motorcycle guy that tries to go to the track whenever budget/time permits and do not have much 4x4 knowledge. You're kind insights is appreciated...

So here it is...

I am wondering if you guys can give me recommendations as to

1. what things I should watch out for (especially for things that pertain to the weather condition and all around use/need).

2. Am I an idiot to choose the Vehicross to bring to a very cold climate (I know no heated seats, will be very hard to source parts).

3. how much to spend rough estimate to replace things that need to be replaced and buy secondary ones for things that will soon beak down.

4. Since Vehicle has over 120,000 miles, I was thinking of actually bringing an extra engine but Since Rodeo's engine can be replaced, that would be a little easy to source.

5. I plan on lifting it and drive it over water (small rivers, mountains, in snow and ice. My main concern here is reliability, starting in cold weather, durability in cold weather and not getting stranded in a remote place somewhere in Mongolia.

Am I going to shoot myself in the foot if I go this route or should I just buy an FJ cruiser or something with the same money? My wife's uncle in Mongolia has a Vehicross and we drove it through a small river and mudding and it was great! I fell in love with it and want to have my own. I have been asking him questions which is why I am confident in purchasing this beautiful Vehicle but still appreciates other people's input.

Thanks for the help and hope to be able to show you the progressions of my build (if it happens) throughout the year.

:happyface:happyface:happyface

tom4bren
10/13/2011, 03:56 AM
3" of suspension lift is about as much as you'll want to do. With that amount of lift many members start tearing the CV boots (me included). There is a way to drop the differential to put the CVs back to stock angle. You can probably get the additional lift from a body lift (a "how2" is supposed to be posted this weekend by another member).

You should absolutely replace the timing belt, tensioner & water pump before heading out of the country. Again, check the How2 section.

Don't count on a Rodeo engine being a direct replacement for the VX. Do a search on the forum for engine replacement compatability.

Careful on how many spare parts you collect with the intention of packing them in the VX for shipping. Most shippers will not allow 'extras' in the vehicle during shipment.

Riff Raff
10/13/2011, 04:29 AM
Since you like to go water fording; then you might want to bring a spare OEM Alternator for the VX, as our alternator's are mounted very low in harm's way of rivers/streams. See pictures in the below thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17157&page=2

Another good choice besides an FJ Cruiser, may be a used Nissan X-Terra.

:bgwb:

Ldub
10/13/2011, 06:19 AM
my long held suspicion that the weather in Fargo is on par with outer Mongolia...:_snowplow

Winter temps here have been known to dip to -40, & -30 in not uncommon during the coldest month(s).
My VX has been my daily driver since 2004, & has never failed to start, has never been garaged, & never had the benefit of a block heater, or any other external source of engine heat.

Equipped as seen here...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03785x.JPG

It will easily plow through 1 - 1.5 feet of drifted snow.

I think credit should also be given to the Optima red top battery & Amzoil synthetic fluids in every orfice...:yesgray:

vt_maverick
10/13/2011, 06:53 AM
I agree with everyone else here that the VX is capable of standing up to that kind of environment. I think your biggest worry will simply be parts availability when something breaks. I don't know if Merlin or IsuzuParts.com ship overseas, but if they don't, you may have to rely on third parties (us) to help you get parts in and out of country. All that could add up to lengthy delays should you need to get something replaced with an OEM part.

Food for thought. If you do it be sure to post pics, I'm sure you'll have some amazing opportunities!

tom4bren
10/13/2011, 07:00 AM
When you get the US version over to Mongolia, trade with your wife's uncle & ship the JDM back over here:)

Triathlete
10/13/2011, 09:15 AM
If you are not adverse to a little (okay, a lot) of cladding trimming you can fit 35" tires with only a 3" suspension lift.

Hiredgoon
10/13/2011, 10:10 AM
I love my VX, and I plan on being buried in it, but I gotta say, it seems like a tricky choice to be taking somewhere so harsh, owing to the scarcity of parts and the general reticence of some mechanics to even crawl underneath. Wouldn't buying something manufactured more locally (a Land Rover) or with a TON more available parts (dare I say Jeep) make more sense on a trip like this? Hell, you can probably find your choice of military surplus off road vehicle for cheap, and those things tend to be designed so almost anyone can repair them with nothing but a pocketknife to carve tools out of soapstone.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in any case, sounds like it could be a hell of an adventure!

Gussie2000
10/13/2011, 10:40 AM
Our russian counterparts can be helpful if you need since mongolia & russia are close.

We have couple of VX'ers that speaks english over there so you may want to get a hold of them in case you need help finding parts.

Hybrid1098
10/13/2011, 11:39 AM
3" of suspension lift is about as much as you'll want to do. With that amount of lift many members start tearing the CV boots (me included). There is a way to drop the differential to put the CVs back to stock angle. You can probably get the additional lift from a body lift (a "how2" is supposed to be posted this weekend by another member).

You should absolutely replace the timing belt, tensioner & water pump before heading out of the country. Again, check the How2 section.

Don't count on a Rodeo engine being a direct replacement for the VX. Do a search on the forum for engine replacement compatability.

Careful on how many spare parts you collect with the intention of packing them in the VX for shipping. Most shippers will not allow 'extras' in the vehicle during shipment.

Thanks for this vital info. Yes I do plan on getting it raised but I do plan on putting a body lift as well.

Hybrid1098
10/13/2011, 11:52 AM
Since you like to go water fording; then you might want to bring a spare OEM Alternator for the VX, as our alternator's are mounted very low in harm's way of rivers/streams. See pictures in the below thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17157&page=2

Another good choice besides an FJ Cruiser, may be a used Nissan X-Terra.

Good suggestion! They just opened a Nissan dealership there I heard. But I fell in love with the Vehicross.

my long held suspicion that the weather in Fargo is on par with outer Mongolia...:_snowplow

Winter temps here have been known to dip to -40, & -30 in not uncommon during the coldest month(s).
My VX has been my daily driver since 2004, & has never failed to start, has never been garaged, & never had the benefit of a block heater, or any other external source of engine heat.

Equipped as seen here...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03785x.JPG

It will easily plow through 1 - 1.5 feet of drifted snow.

I think credit should also be given to the Optima red top battery & Amzoil synthetic fluids in every orfice...:yesgray:

Outside parking? Similar temps? No block heater? Daily driver? I need to copy exactly you and go the extra mile just for the what ifs... You, sir... need to be my friend lol.

If you are not adverse to a little (okay, a lot) of cladding trimming you can fit 35" tires with only a 3" suspension lift.

35" tires may get a little too heavy for the differentials or transaxles or whatever you call them. I may end up having to get new gearing. MAybe I should change them anyway since I want all new.

I love my VX, and I plan on being buried in it, but I gotta say, it seems like a tricky choice to be taking somewhere so harsh, owing to the scarcity of parts and the general reticence of some mechanics to even crawl underneath. Wouldn't buying something manufactured more locally (a Land Rover) or with a TON more available parts (dare I say Jeep) make more sense on a trip like this? Hell, you can probably find your choice of military surplus off road vehicle for cheap, and those things tend to be designed so almost anyone can repair them with nothing but a pocketknife to carve tools out of soapstone.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in any case, sounds like it could be a hell of an adventure!

yeaaa well, I am buying another 4x4 for my wife. She will be driving that around as her daily driver. It will probably be a Land Cruiser (like most Mongolians drive there as they are amazing vehicles), FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, or Tundra. Land Rover would be too expensive to fix and Jeep reliability and sourcing of parts would be harder since it is American while the Isuzu is Japanese.

I basically want to have a cool little RC looking truck which I can take off roading with me and have fun in it while not having something too big. Then use my wife's car for other trips that I will use to tow the ATV's that I am hoping to bring.

Thanks for all the suggestions people! So many replies and it isn't even noon yet. I can tell you all love the VX and I can see why.

BigSwede
10/13/2011, 12:30 PM
Hello from Minnesota, which is nearly as cold as Fargo, or Siberia for that matter.

Make sure you have a fresh battery, the biggest CCA you can fit in there (there is room for a much larger battery than stock). Synthetic lubricants are a plus in very cold weather; Mobil One flows when dino oil turns to syrup. Make sure ignition is up to snuff, although the coilover packs on the VX eliminate much of the traditional issues with plug wires. Of course, make sure the coolant is good down to -40.

Hybrid1098
10/13/2011, 12:52 PM
Hello from Minnesota, which is nearly as cold as Fargo, or Siberia for that matter.

Make sure you have a fresh battery, the biggest CCA you can fit in there (there is room for a much larger battery than stock). Synthetic lubricants are a plus in very cold weather; Mobil One flows when dino oil turns to syrup. Make sure ignition is up to snuff, although the coilover packs on the VX eliminate much of the traditional issues with plug wires. Of course, make sure the coolant is good down to -40.

Hey there, my sister lives in Minnesota. I have been there during winter and it does get cold.

Any aftermarket things I can replace other than the fluids etc. that will be better for cold? I plan on stripping down most of the stuff and replacing it with something that can handle the weather more (just to be sure).

Ldub
10/13/2011, 03:22 PM
I don't know if it's still available, but there used to be a block heater available specifically for the 6VE1, directly from Isuzu.

It replaced the threaded bung on the drivers side of the block IIRC.

BigSwede
10/13/2011, 08:04 PM
Good snow tires will have the biggest affect on your ability to get around.

Consider equipment like jumper cables, a small shovel, tire chains, a decent 12V compressor (Superflow MV-50 one example), tire repair kit, tow strap and shackles, a Hi-Lift jack if you can stow it...

Ldub
10/14/2011, 06:22 AM
In addn to what Swede say, a winter survival kit, which should include extra warm boots, gloves, clothing etc. Chocolate bars :drool:, blankets, cel phon...

You prolly know all this stuff already...:mbrasd:

Dang dyslexia...every time I read the title of this thread, it looks like "Buying a VX and sending to MAGNOLIA...:rolleyesg

nfpgasmask
10/14/2011, 09:41 AM
All I have to say, is please remain a member and post pics of your Mongolian adventures!

Bart

samneil2000
10/14/2011, 10:54 AM
All I have to say, is please remain a member and post pics of your Mongolian adventures!

Bart

x2

tom4bren
10/14/2011, 01:22 PM
I have about a year to a year and a half to build it up to spec so I do not get stranded in weather that presumably can get to -40 degrees. Average coldest temps get to about -15F or so.

Maybe you should consider adding heaters to your seats. I've attached a 'How2' that someone wrote up a few years back.

TexVeX
10/14/2011, 01:27 PM
Hybrid1098, Best of luck with your VX endeavors. I believe the Vehicross will always and forever be my favorite vehicle.

Dang dyslexia...every time I read the title of this thread, it looks like "Buying a VX and sending to MAGNOLIA...:rolleyesg

LOL, I have similar issues lots and lots since I broke my head and had a bad concussion earlier this summer. My friend on FB said she had a busy day and I thought she said "busty". :yesb:

Scott Larson
10/14/2011, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately, there is nowhere on a VX to use a Hi-Lift, but it can be used as a winch!

BigSwede
10/14/2011, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, there is nowhere on a VX to use a Hi-Lift, but it can be used as a winch!

Good point. I am used to having sliders etc. to use a Hi-Lift on...so I will add a recommendation for sliders and a receiver hitch...so you can use the Hi-Lift. :bgwb:

And/or, get a Lift-Mate http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

Hybrid1098
10/15/2011, 08:20 PM
thanks everyone for the kind words. Yes I will definitely remain a forum member and will most assuredly post pics of Mongolia.

When I went there a month ago, I got to shoot an RPG onto some tires (although I missed) and that was a real treat. Apparently I can and will be able to shoot out of a tank as well. Pretty crazy stuff.

Most of the things noted here I actually do not know since I am a city guy and have no experience with much 4x4. I actually had to look up the jargon such as hi-lift and block heaters so please be kind to the noob hehe.

But I did write a list of some of the few things I will be doing when I get it. Please feel free to post up more comments and suggestions to what else I should be bringing with me.

Things that will be done as soon as I get the vehicle or when it is finally needed:

timing belt and water pump
brakes
tranny fluid, clutch fluid, flush system and syn oil, brake fluid,
fuel pump, regulator, filter
cv boots x4
alternator
battery
ignition
tranny - switch to stick (based on a writeup i just read)
check for oil consumption and fix accordingly
Add heated seats
Optima red top battery (highest CCA)

I am going to look to see how much to get a spare engine would cost over there and if it is much cheaper here then I may just upgrade the engine and see if I can fit other engines or just buy another stock 3.5 from somewhere.

I am very excited to be a part of this board as it seems everyone here is great.

Thing is, it's really hard sometimes to access the site. A lot of the times I cannot access the forum from my browser.

I do plan on lifting and putting some bigger meat (hopefully not needing to do the gears) and will look into copying Tenman's or Ldub's SUV.

How much do you think this will all run me?

Any other suggestions?

Hybrid1098
10/15/2011, 08:38 PM
forgot to mention bushings for suspension, engine and other stuff but don't know which to get but i guess when the time comes i will...

I guess bumpstops need to be extended... Don't really know what they are yet. Cant figure it out from pictures haha.

Anybody in Los Angeles area want to come with me to purchase the vehicle? I can pick you up! =)

BigSwede
10/16/2011, 06:08 AM
Regarding fluid swaps, remember the TOD transfer case has it's own fluid reservoir that should be changed also, ATF as I recall. ("Transfer case" is the mechanism that splits the power and sends it to the front wheels as well as the rear, for 4WD).

Also suggest changing the gear oil in the front and rear differentials for synthetic. (Note: the rear differential is a limited-slip unit that may need anti-chatter additive to the fluid. Some synthetic fluids say the additive is not needed...you can always try it and add the additive if the rear diff "chatters" at times).

Ldub
10/16/2011, 06:31 AM
Good point. I am used to having sliders etc. to use a Hi-Lift on...so I will add a recommendation for sliders and a receiver hitch...so you can use the Hi-Lift. :bgwb:

And/or, get a Lift-Mate http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

Sorry for a bit of :ot:.:bla:

But hey, all ya gotta do is position it at the top of the wheel arch & just jack away...:laughing:

I actually witnessed a guy doing this a few years back...he was trying to change a flat tire, & didn't have a clue that it would not only wrinkle up his sheet metal, but the jack was in the way when he tried to remove the tire...:rolleyesg.:slap:
I watched in disbelief as the fender wrinkled & crushed as he just kept jacking.
A textbook example of "not think'n it all the way through"...:_thinking

Don't be that guy...:smilewink

Riff Raff
10/16/2011, 09:34 AM
As previously stated here, a High-Lift Jack may not be the best jack for the VX due to the lack of bumper anchor points and our somewhat very fragile body cladding.

A much better alternative jack for the VX is the "Titan Exhaust Jack". Click-on the "link" below for more information regarding this very cool vehicle jack that is perfect for the VX.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16814

Hybrid1098
10/16/2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks again for more valuable advice.

I was planning on doing the Hi-lift and adding the Rocky mountain (or something) sliders which can be used as a step too and jack the car on there but those Titan Air Jacks look impressive and easy to carry.

Hey Big Swede, my sister lives in Minneapolis but very close to Minnetonka. Forgot her neighborhood.

Are the Differentials, axles and TOD reliable?

So far I see myself changing the transmission, engine and suspension in the next year or two. On top of that all the little goo balls that go with it such as timing belt and gaskets and window regulator etc.

This sounds like about a $10,000 budget...