PDA

View Full Version : TOD Flashing Light

Dobe
10/04/2011, 08:15 PM
Yesterday, the warning light beneatn the TOPD indicator began flahsing. I took it to a trusted mechanic, who diagnosed (or attempted to) but nedds additional time. It seems all wheel sensors are working fine, but there's a suspicion of a "short to ground." They will need to remove the passenger seat to access the control module and any associated wire harnesses.
I have an appointment with the dealer, but I'm uneasy: no bad experiences; just prefer not to pay the higher labor rates, plus the cost of a new contol module. The car has 111K miles on it. 2001

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thaks,
Chris.

Gussie2000
10/04/2011, 08:35 PM
A sensor is more likely to be the culprit and not the TOD module,but the sensors are bit $$$$ not sure how much though.

JoFotoz
10/04/2011, 08:45 PM
Did you check tire pressure....and are you running equal tread tires?

Jo

tom4bren
10/05/2011, 04:22 AM
IIRC some of the cables under the VX run too close to the exhaust. Before paying for anything to be replaced, open every connector you can find under the vehicle, clean and lubricate. After all that, disconnect your battery for 30 min.

circmand
10/05/2011, 05:28 AM
I have had flashing TOD both times just sensors.

Dobe
10/05/2011, 04:29 PM
Appreciate the help. Actually, the mechanic found the voltage output from the sensors ok. I took it back today, as they seemed eager to solve this. They suspect a short, as I think was mentioned by others on this board.
Will keep you posted.

Tires? Hmm...I run TOYO low profile 285 x 50 x 18, and one does show unusual inside tread wear. This should be interesting.

VX KAT
10/05/2011, 05:04 PM
Tires? Hmm...I run TOYO low profile 285 x 50 x 18, and one does show unusual inside tread wear. This should be interesting.

Not sure you knew what Jo was referring to about the tires...
Sometimes if all 4 tires aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms: brand, size, model, air pressure & wear, the TOD system will often make severe clunking noises. Goes away when all 4 are pretty much equal.
***Some people have had this problem and some have not under same circumstances...so just thought I'd mention it as a possibility.

JoFotoz
10/05/2011, 07:01 PM
Sort of Kat...

Not sure you knew what Jo was referring to about the tires...
Sometimes if all 4 tires aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms: brand, size, model, air pressure & wear, the TOD system will often make severe clunking noises. Goes away when all 4 are pretty much equal.
***Some people have had this problem and some have not under same circumstances...so just thought I'd mention it as a possibility.

...I've never had clunking.

But you can throw a TOD check light if tire pressure/ tread amount are not equal..
In other words, a variation in rolling diameters can mess with the TOD.

jo