PDA

View Full Version : Blower Functioning Intermittently

Breezy
10/03/2011, 12:55 PM
The blower only blows on random occasions. I have a 2000 proton, so it has the auto climate control. I've read several other threads about this, but they all seem to have to do with the 99's which didn't have the auto mode.

One thread I found helpful:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1676&highlight=blower+resistor

But I went online to order the part (resistor) for my 2000 and they said the part number didn't fit my VIN. I've pulled the blower motor itself and tested it and checked for any shorted wires and everything is good. I even took out the resistor (if thats what it is...its the little silver block that looks like a huge heatsink that screws onto the evaporator unit) and opened up the circuit and checked it. It all seemed fine, but it had an IC component on the board that I couldn't find online or on Digikey based on the part number, so I wasn't sure how to check if that was good, or order a new one.

It's starting to get cold here in Wisconsin and I need to defrost my windows in the mornings. It becomes difficult when my blower doesn't blow. I need this fixed pretty soon, and I'd like to do it myself if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this?

And yes, it goes from cold to hot and stuff....it just doesn't get forced out of the vents..

Thanks!

MSHardeman
10/03/2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I got a little chuckle out of the fact that your screen name is Breezy, but your blower motor isn't working (thus creating a little breeze). Get it? OK, so it's not really that funny....:p

I hope someone can help you out soon. I think Zeus went through this a while ago, but I can't remember if his was a '99 or an '00/'01.

yellowgizmo99
10/03/2011, 01:54 PM
I had the problem with the '99 and checked the blower direct to battery and it worked, after I bought the resistor and replaced the one. It ran good for a while and then had the problem again, turns out the blower was bad just not that bad. I replaced the blower and have not had a prroblem since, and put the old resistor back and still have the new one as a back up in case.

LittleBeast
10/03/2011, 06:14 PM
My blower motor seemed fine as well I am sure if I tested the old motor it would have tested fine, but it would occasionally not work. Next time when your motor is not blowing, go ahead and hit your glove box pretty hard with your hand. If it starts blowing again you have a motor that is going out. My motor seemed fine too but it was in fact a slowly dying motor that occasionally would not work right.

yellowgizmo99
10/04/2011, 08:05 AM
The hitting the glove box was what I used also till I replaced the resistor and then still had to use it till replaced the motor.

Breezy
10/04/2011, 10:04 AM
I just ordered a new blower motor from ebay. It wasn't very expensive, so hopefully it is just the motor wearing out and a new motor resolves all the issues. I'll try to remember to give an update when I put the new motor in.

VX KAT
10/04/2011, 10:37 AM
Next time when your motor is not blowing, go ahead and hit your glove box pretty hard with your hand. If it starts blowing again you have a motor that is going out. My motor seemed fine too but it was in fact a slowly dying motor that occasionally would not work right.

The hitting the glove box was what I used also till I replaced the resistor and then still had to use it till replaced the motor.

Learned something new here....:smack::smack: the glove box...

I'm having a custom aluminum radiator built ...should I consider replacing the blower motor prophylactically when I get it installed ?
I have an '01, 77k miles.
If so, OEM or aftermarket?

Breezy
10/04/2011, 10:47 AM
I'm having a custom aluminum radiator built ...should I consider replacing the blower motor prophylactically when I get it installed ?

Does the blower motor have something to do with the radiator? I thought it only forced air out of the vents...?

VX KAT
10/04/2011, 10:50 AM
Does the blower motor have something to do with the radiator? I thought it only forced air out of the vents...?

oops, I thought it was the motor that spun the radiator fan....??? Yes...no??

Breezy
10/04/2011, 11:02 AM
Oh no. What I'm talking about here is a small motor and fan underneath the glovebox that forces either heat or cold air out of all your vents and such in the cabin. This is of no relation to the radiator lol. At least to my knowledge.

Breezy
10/12/2011, 09:40 AM
Replaced the blower and it works fine now :)

LittleBeast
10/12/2011, 09:51 AM
Awesome good to hear :-) normally that is the issue. Did you go aftermarket? I got one from Amazon and it is working great so far.

Breezy
10/12/2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it was aftermarket, but from ebay I think. It looked a bit different, and the first few minutes of running the blower the fan would knock against the housing inside, but it stopped and hasn't done it since. It blows great though now. I can actually defrost my windows! :)

p_justin13
10/19/2011, 06:53 PM
have had the same ongoing problem even hitting glove box wasn't working the only thing that would was flipping the air intake switch in the climate control from pulling air from the inside to pulling air from the outside really hard a few times and it will slowly start winding up again. Near chicago so probably should get it done before it gets much colder. This damn rain needs to stop so I can get back to hunting!

tom4bren
10/20/2011, 05:04 AM
Replaced the blower and it works fine now :)

Breezy is ... well ... breezy again!!!

Breezy
10/20/2011, 05:43 AM
Yes Sir I am! And so thankful I can warm up my car from inside while I eat my breakfast and it be cozy inside when I go to work each morning. CANT. WAIT. FOR. SNOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

fultonix
10/31/2011, 05:07 AM
Same problem here. Glove box doesnt work. Im going to get the resistor. Where is it located? I'll check wiring first before I order.

fultonix
10/31/2011, 05:16 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-3A1088-Blower-Motor-Resistor-/330628528737?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AIsuzu%7CModel%3AVehiCROSS&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfafefa61
Is this the right resistor?

Breezy
10/31/2011, 05:22 AM
In the "downloads" section on the site there is a manual that gives the all the diagrams for everything. Blower motor and resistor are there too. Look in the index. It showed me where they are and how to get them out :)

Since you have a 2001, I don't think it is your resistor. In the 2000 and 2001 models, they had auto climate control or whatever, so there is no "variable resistor network" thing. You can pull out the resistor if you want. I have a 2000 and did so, but it is a circuit board with a large transistor on it. That was it. No network of resistors. So that might help you. Check the motor.

fultonix
11/03/2011, 04:55 AM
I took my resistor out last night and put it back in today and now my fan is working like it should. However. I pulled the black cover off to see under the 3 connectors and seen the actual resistor, a capacitor, and something else. It has a heat sink connected to it so I don't think that part is just a resistor.
Is there a cabin filter to change out on the VX? I guess the box that I unscrewed the "resistor" from is the "squirrel cage?" Because it had dust, dirt, debris in the bottom of it.

Breezy
11/03/2011, 05:21 AM
Did the something else look like this?

http://cdn.sigma.octopart.com/472090/image/STMicroelectronics-TIP112.gif

I just made that picture show up! Ha! Made my day!!! Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

fultonix
11/03/2011, 11:51 AM
no, it was just a solid black block, with 3 connectors on the end that screws into the air box directly behind the glovebox. On the otherside is has a silver metal heat sink. I will post a pic or link soon.