PDA

View Full Version : New tire vs. 7500 mile tire....think TOD would act up?

VX KAT
10/02/2011, 07:56 PM
I now have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my VX, and need to buy a 5th tire to serve as F/S spare.

I've always put the F/S spare into my tire rotation to keep the circumference of all 5 the same. But since the NTGs have 7,500 miles on them, if I buy a brand new one, think the TOD will freak out? I'd imagine the difference is pretty small.

Thoughts?

Riff Raff
10/02/2011, 08:14 PM
Or you could just use the factory OEM donut on the "front axle" to temporarily limp your VX to the nearest tire repair shop. What are the odd's of you actually having a flat with Nitto TG's with your style of driving (I'd say somewhere between slim & none)???

If you are dead-set on using a F/S spare, then any slightly smaller O.D. tire put on the "front axle" will be able to safely limp you to the nearest repair shop. The key is to never put the smaller O.D. tire on rear axle, and not be in 4WL when limping the VX to the shop.

:bgwb:

tom4bren
10/03/2011, 04:11 AM
I don't think that you could even measure the difference in diameter at 7500 miles. IMHO, you'll be OK. I think you'd get more variation in diameter just on tire pressure.

Ebenezr
10/03/2011, 05:32 AM
Because you do not have a locked differential the tire of similar diameter will rule and your differential will pick up the "difference".

circmand
10/03/2011, 08:11 AM
I have had tires on my VX that went from 12/32 to 4/32 none being the same and never had a warnong light

tomdietrying
10/03/2011, 01:31 PM
Shouldn't be a problem.
Peace.
Tom