PDA

View Full Version : My VX is a thirsty DIVA..!!!! Help...

jtirado
10/01/2011, 12:29 PM
I've been steadily(slowly) trying to make up for the lack of preventive maintenance from the former Owner. I've had my VX shy of a year and so far...so good. She's at 111k miles now, and I'm thinking of getting the O2 sensors replaced. I don't recall whether there's four or five in the car. I do know that the car runs rich....in other words, she's a thirsty diva. Can anyone tell me on average what it would cost to get my O2 sensors replaced/changed.

Only other thing is...I've checked the transmission at AAMCO, and they confirmed that the VX runs solid, but for some reason...when i press the gas at times...it may take a sec or two before the car hits the gear or you feel the jolt...is this attributed to timing??? There's something I'm missing....that I wish I could pinpoint to get her back that power I think is missing....thanks for reading..

Ebenezr
10/01/2011, 05:22 PM
Lots of possibilities here. If your at a stop and press the excellorator and the engine goes then you get a kick - its your trans. This used to happen to me. My fluid was low. Check your fluid level. Otherwise a hesitant engine can have many causes for instance a throttle position sensor. If your engine light is on then go to an auto part store and have them pull the codes.

jtirado
10/02/2011, 07:43 AM
I just had my transmission fluid changed a month ago. The only codes that have turned up relate to emissions/exhaust. Though I agree, lot of possibilities, it's somewhat fustrating when you don't know how the previous owner treated the car. So I have to presume the worst and hope that I can resolve what's missing or needs repair.

mhill
10/02/2011, 09:59 AM
My o2 code trips the check engine light and per the advice of some people in the know on this forum I cleaned the mass air sensor, the pcv valve and the egr. Turn the light off at autozone and I am good. The o2 sensor is saying "hey there is a problem here" cuz everything in front of it is sending bad info. If my o2 sensor was really bad I would think it would have tripped the check engine light again. You should clean those items first for $5-$10 in cleaners and if the light comes on again change the o2 sensors x4. I am a big fan of sea foam also. Clean it up and run a can in the gas tank.

nfpgasmask
10/03/2011, 10:00 AM
THings to check:

O2 sensors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
EGR Valve

If you can replace all that, I bet you will notice a difference. Also, if you are getting a CEL, get the codes read and report back to us with the numbers.

Bart

tom4bren
10/03/2011, 10:26 AM
O2 sensors either work or they don't. If they don't, it'll trip the CEL. If they do work & you swap them out, no problem ... but it won't help the gas mileage. You're better off attacking the other stuff people mentioned before you replace the O2.

Even though you just had the tranny serviced, check the level anyway. IIRC, the process for checking your tranny fluid level is somewhat complicated after a change. I think there is a how2 in the ... wait for it ... the how2 section. Also, the next time it is slow to engage, look at your indicators in the dash cluster. If the lights don't match what gear you are in, the shift sensor may be bad/dirty.