PDA

View Full Version : Life is changing

Buffy
09/28/2011, 05:00 PM
Well guys life has a way of throwing you curve balls. Our son is currently deployed to Kuwait and we are now taking care of his daughter part time. After some long discussions we've decided to sell a couple vehicles and get a vehicle that will better accomodate our grandchildren, currently at 7 (as of Monday). Needless to say our life has been in a bit of turmoil. So my VX is one of the vehicles we are considering selling. So I am left pondering what to ask for the VX. As most of you have seen my build, pretty much a complete mechanical rebuild. Some highlights:

Full engine rebuild using OEM parts where available.
modified the pistons with additional oiling holes
new OEM crank
rebuilt heads
complete new timing set
water pump
the works!

Full rebuild of transmission
New rear axle seals (serious pain to replace)
New upper and lower ball joints
New inner and outter cv boots
All new brakes
Tires were installed new when the build was finished
Frame sanded and sealed with Master Series Coatings

The list goes on. We've got around 10K miles since the rebuild and have enjoyed every mile. I know there is a list out there but I think I can save time and tell you what I know is bad. I have never had the door panels off and it suffers from the window ailment. I have the SBC brackets but have not installed them. The engine has an oil leak, best I can figure is the rear seal was not put in properly and leaks probably about a quart per 5K miles. I think I made Merlin salesman of the year when building this thing and I can provide the reciepts of the parts.

So what does the group say. What would be a reasonable asking price for my XV?

Thanks in advance.....

Greg

H3_VX
09/28/2011, 06:19 PM
Well guys life has a way of throwing you curve balls. Our son is currently deployed to Kuwait and we are now taking care of his daughter part time. After some long discussions we've decided to sell a couple vehicles and get a vehicle that will better accomodate our grandchildren, currently at 7 (as of Monday). Needless to say our life has been in a bit of turmoil. So my VX is one of the vehicles we are considering selling. So I am left pondering what to ask for the VX. As most of you have seen my build, pretty much a complete mechanical rebuild. Some highlights:

Full engine rebuild using OEM parts where available.
modified the pistons with additional oiling holes
new OEM crank
rebuilt heads
complete new timing set
water pump
the works!

Full rebuild of transmission
New rear axle seals (serious pain to replace)
New upper and lower ball joints
New inner and outter cv boots
All new brakes
Tires were installed new when the build was finished
Frame sanded and sealed with Master Series Coatings

The list goes on. We've got around 10K miles since the rebuild and have enjoyed every mile. I know there is a list out there but I think I can save time and tell you what I know is bad. I have never had the door panels off and it suffers from the window ailment. I have the SBC brackets but have not installed them. The engine has an oil leak, best I can figure is the rear seal was not put in properly and leaks probably about a quart per 5K miles. I think I made Merlin salesman of the year when building this thing and I can provide the reciepts of the parts.

So what does the group say. What would be a reasonable asking price for my XV?

Thanks in advance.....

Greg

mileage on the chassis? pics? condition of interior? Condition of paint, cladding?

Buffy
09/29/2011, 05:10 AM
The chassi had 95,600 on it when I got it it now has around 106,000. The interior is in good shape, the front seats show some wear but are in very good shape, like most the back seat looks like it was never used. The paint is in very good shape, the cladding has faded like most, the hood insert is in good shape as well just slightly faded. You can see the paint and cladding in my build thread but I will get some recent pictures to post up.

samneil2000
09/29/2011, 05:33 AM
This thread makes my stomach hurt. It's hard to think about you selling after all the tear-down and assembly you went through. There's no price anyone would be willing to pay that would absorb all of that work. If it's still as clean underneath as it was, when you finished, I'd start at maybe 9 or 10K. The oil leak is a big problem though.

Ebenezr
09/29/2011, 06:10 AM
I was thinking the same maybe 10K. I look at it this way 4K for a broken VX, 4k for the engine and 2k for the trans.

Buffy
09/30/2011, 05:33 AM
I cannot begin to tell you how many hours I spent cleaning bolts, sanding and painting parts, and the long hours chasing parts and fixing odds and ends. I know I would never get back what I put into this vehicle but family is always first and toys come last. On the good side the wife says to find another VX and do the diesel 5 speed swap I've been talking about. So there is that to look forward too. I've also been toying with the idea of a frankenstien VX where I have plans to combine 3 different Isuzus (Trooper, Rodeo, and VX) and end up with my own custom 4 door VX. The wife says she is game.

Anyway, the wife and I now have 7 grand children and nothing to haul them around with since they all are still in car seats. It is a shame that I have 7 vehicles at home and none of them are good kid haulers. I'll try and get some current pictures up this weekend of the cladding, paint and interior.

Buffy
09/30/2011, 05:38 AM
I was thinking the same maybe 10K. I look at it this way 4K for a broken VX, 4k for the engine and 2k for the trans.

Actually I bought this VX for 1500.00. Have over 5K in the motor due to the purchase of a OEM crank shaft. I paid as much for the crack shaft as I did the whole car. Looking back, I should have just bought a factory crate motor from Jerry Lemond and called it a day. But I did learn a lot in this build!! I could have done it cheaper by using after market parts but just couldn't bring myself to restore it with the cheaper after market stuff. I've heard too many horror stories from people. But that is just me.... guess that makes me an Isuzu snob! :p

Riff Raff
09/30/2011, 06:15 AM
On the good side the wife says to find another VX and do the diesel 5 speed swap I've been talking about. The wife says she is game.

Buffy--- Of all of the prized possessions you have in your stables, the finest one you have is your Wife. How incredibly lucky you are to have a loving partner that totally approves of your time-consuming hobbies and gives you 110% in support.

:thumbup:

Ebenezr
09/30/2011, 06:24 AM
Buff: I would be banned from this forum for my stupidity if I told you all how $$$ and time and effort I have put into mine. It is absurd. In fact I just spent 3 hours of time the past 3 days drilling out a broken water pump bolt. My point is if I marketed my VX I wouldn't get even half of it back. In fact half of it would buy another VX !!!! (and its not even running yet) Errrrrr!!!!!

H3_VX
09/30/2011, 07:18 AM
I always hate to see someone sell their beloved cars for reasons out of their control. I would never be able to bring myself to sell one of my cars. I would try to find a way to make it all work. But, I applaud you for putting your families needs first.

VX KAT
09/30/2011, 08:54 AM
Buffy, we hardly knew ya! :laugho:
Respect your decision! Awesome! But I sure will miss reading all your posts on your build...much of which I don't understand, but I do try...:thumbup:
Also, glad your wife supports your car stuff :thumbup:

Buffy
09/30/2011, 10:30 AM
The wife tells everyone she encourages my bad habits! The fun part is she is in the driveway turning wrenches with me. Spent put about as many hours in the garage as I did on the VX build. It was funny that she got the black master series coating on her blonde hair and I was spraying her hair with brake cleaner trying to get it out. She got a kick out of it. But I plan on sticking around here because it is a great group and I have diabolical plans for a future VX project! :smilewink My neighbor never misses an opportunity to come by and remind me that I need to sell him the VX. I am great entertainment for him as he drives by and sees what I am doing in the drive way and shakes his head and drives on.

So..... if anyone happens to see a VX with a bad motor and or trans keep me in mind! :laughgray :goof:

I keep posting build threads here as long as everyone is enjoying them. Next up is My CJ-8 build where I'll be installing a 3.9 Cummins turbo diesel into it. Then there is the 71 240 that was the wife's grandfathers waiting patiently. Then I will be building my dad a surprise car he has always wanted.... a 1949 to 51 Merc. I want to show up, flip him the keys and tell him and mom to fill it with memories. I'll take it back when they are done and soak up the memories.

samneil2000
09/30/2011, 11:53 AM
I keep posting build threads here as long as everyone is enjoying them. Next up is My CJ-8 build where I'll be installing a 3.9 Cummins turbo diesel into it.

I will keep enjoying them. :yesb:

What's the 3.9 TD come out of?

samneil2000
09/30/2011, 11:57 AM
I will keep enjoying them. :yesb:

What's the 3.9 TD come out of?

Nevermind :o
http://www.ehow.com/list_7633364_cummins-turbo-diesel-engine-specifications.html

Buffy
09/30/2011, 07:24 PM
Alot of builders get them from retired bread delivery trucks. The one that came with my Jeep is brand new still on the pallet. It also came with a brand new Richmond 5 speed, Advanced Adapter overdrive and Dana 300 transfer case.