PDA

View Full Version : 10 Oddest SUVs Article in Forbes

vt_maverick
09/26/2011, 11:37 AM
Looks like JohnnyApollo is even more famous...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2011/09/23/10-oddest-suvs-ever-built/

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45eimh/isuzu-vehicross#

samneil2000
09/26/2011, 12:06 PM
Big failure on the Typhoon picture. That was NOT a Typhoon...

vt_maverick
09/26/2011, 12:19 PM
I noticed that too, just sent them an email requesting a correction.

Etfren
09/26/2011, 12:33 PM
I dunno why, but I love those Mercedes G-Wagens. I bet 90% of them never leave the pavement, but they are still amazing none the less.

Ldub
09/26/2011, 01:32 PM
"It shared its underpinnings and mechanicals with the Isuzu Trooper, which made it an off-road-worthy vehicle, but proved seemed ungainly around town, especially as compared to any of the more nimble sport coupes of the day."

:confused:

samneil2000
09/26/2011, 01:51 PM
I have always loved those G wagons too. If they weren't so darned pricey!

Scott Harness
09/26/2011, 01:58 PM
"It shared its underpinnings and mechanicals with the Isuzu Trooper, which made it an off-road-worthy vehicle, but proved seemed ungainly around town, especially as compared to any of the more nimble sport coupes of the day."

I hate it when people talk about stuff,they know nothing about!

H3_VX
09/26/2011, 03:09 PM
Its strange. The vehicles that other people think are odd, are the ones I think are awesome and unique. I can't believe the H1 made this list. Also, what is so odd about the Nissan Murano Cabrio?

Ldub
09/26/2011, 04:56 PM

I hate it when people talk about stuff,they know nothing about!

Yep...:yesgray:

1...Why would you compare apples & oranges, or off road capable SUV's & sport coupes...:_thinking

2...Troopers had a fabricated problem with being tippy, therefore the VX must handle identically...:_confused

Sure, why not...F-tards...:slap:

Anita
09/26/2011, 06:41 PM
John,

Did you give your permission for them to use your pic? Yikes;eeko;

sports coupes?????? Forbes, what a dumb statement...

Y33TREKker
09/26/2011, 07:34 PM
Makes you wonder just what kind of passion that Forbes article contributor has for anything that isn't based on monetary value.

Admittedly, it would be nice if the value of my VX had continued to go up since I bought it, but the fact that it hasn't (up till this time anyway) still doesn't have me considering selling it any time soon just because the depreciation value graph line is inversely approaching the Blue Book value graph line.

I suppose things like this will always be relative depending on the crowd a person runs with too though. I mean, it's not difficult to imagine that particular Forbes contributor drives a $150k sedan to work...and...how it most likely blends in identically with all the other $150k sedans in the same parking garage.

Eh, to each their own.

TheGanzman
09/26/2011, 08:28 PM
Ya' know, "they" can bag on the look/styling of the VX all they want - I'll admit it's not for ever'body. But it's pretty damned nimble as far as I'm concerned, even/especially with stock wheels/tires and no lift. I've thrown my around pretty hard into some corners and NEVER ONCE felt like I was at risk of rolling it. It ain't no rocket sled, granted; but once you get used to using your sideview mirrors (and downshifting from D to 3rd) I consider it VERY nimble. I'd bet a cookie that the retard that wrote that tome has NEVER EVER stepped foot inside a VX, let alone driven one...

Anita
09/26/2011, 09:04 PM
Ya' know, "they" can bag on the look/styling of the VX all they want - I'll admit it's not for ever'body. But it's pretty damned nimble as far as I'm concerned, even/especially with stock wheels/tires and no lift. I've thrown my around pretty hard into some corners and NEVER ONCE felt like I was at risk of rolling it. It ain't no rocket sled, granted; but once you get used to using your sideview mirrors (and downshifting from D to 3rd) I consider it VERY nimble. I'd bet a cookie that the retard that wrote that tome has NEVER EVER stepped foot inside a VX, let alone driven one...

I bet a cake that the writer never saw a VX in person, never researched the vehicle (why should he?, I guess). But again, that would constitute a form of intellgence obviously frowned upon by the Forbes editors and/or their perceived audience. The VX IS unusual, odd, unique depending on one's perception, but the rest is just hoooey. Rant over.

Soooooooooooooo,

Wheeeeeeee.. that SUV is SO ODD! Look at all that cheap plastic. Is it a RAV? :rollo:.

Just Funnin'

Gussie2000
09/26/2011, 10:58 PM
To figured out ( too late ) that i lost 10 minutes of my miserable life by reading this idiot "articule" :mado:

johnnyapollo
09/27/2011, 03:24 AM
John,

Did you give your permission for them to use your pic? Yikes;eeko;

sports coupes?????? Forbes, what a dumb statement...

No - guess they pulled it from Wikipedia. I don't have a problem with it.

-- John

circmand
09/27/2011, 05:05 AM
is the VW thing an SUV?

Ebenezr
09/27/2011, 05:44 AM
is the VW thing an SUV?

Back when they were made 4wd was a luxury. I don't think it was a 4wd? but I think the Suzuki Samarai should have been in this rather than some others. The Samarai was very small and able.

WormGod
09/27/2011, 06:55 AM
Let me put it all int perspective for you....

The writer of the article drives a Mercedes CLS550 AMG. Which also must mean, he has never popped his own hood, put air in his own tires, or washed/vacuumed it himself. Do not take offense to THIS GUY, spilling nonsense about YOUR vehicle. ;)

circmand
09/27/2011, 01:24 PM
Back when they were made 4wd was a luxury. I don't think it was a 4wd? but I think the Suzuki Samarai should have been in this rather than some others. The Samarai was very small and able.

It was a VW Beetle chasis with a different body. I always liked them but performance they did not have and were never a utility anything. More of a cheap surfer vehicle

RickOKC
09/27/2011, 03:27 PM
1...Why would you compare apples & oranges, or off road capable SUV's & sport coupes...:_thinking
It's the current trend. I see apples vs. oranges in most of the reviews I read these days. It kinda sucks the fun out of learning about a new vehicle when the writer starts griping about how the latest sports car is cramped, doesn't seat 7, doesn't have enough cargo space to transport sheet rock and doesn't get 50 mpg. Every time I read an article about the new Camaro, for example, within the first couple paragraphs I started thinking, "Sooo.... you were expecting it to be a mini-van?" :_confused

Ldub
09/27/2011, 04:05 PM
Back when they were made 4wd was a luxury. I don't think it was a 4wd?

It was a VW Beetle chasis with a different body. I always liked them but performance they did not have and were never a utility anything. More of a cheap surfer vehicle

The VW thing WAS SO a SUV...:yesgray:

It was a great Surf Utility Vehicle...:smilewink

I had one back in the 80's...punched out to 1800+cc, dual Webbers, etc, etc...:_steering

It was a fun car to drive with the extra HP, but suffered from IDB syndrome...:( (insufficient drum brake)
Also fun to take to the beach. No creature comforts, rigid framed side windows that slid into channels & were stored up front in the trunk.
NOT a fun vehicle to drive during torrential rains.

And yes, 2WD.

Saw a really cool tube buggy in Moab a few years ago, wearing VW Thing sheet metal, & wearin' it WELL...:yes:

Osteomata
09/27/2011, 06:15 PM
Haha I own 2 of the 10, and in the same colors as depicted. Great link.

Ebenezr
09/27/2011, 08:31 PM
Dub I didn't know they had beaches in South Dakota. (he he he) :grino:

Ldub
09/27/2011, 08:53 PM
Dub I didn't know they had beaches in South Dakota. (he he he) :grino:

I'm not sure they do niether...:_confused
Prolly around lakes & such like that.
I been there a few times, but really couldn't say for sure...since I'm from NORT Dakotah don-cha-know...:yesgray:

I lived in HI from 83-93...a decade that seemed like 10 yrs in a row...:_thinking
And yesterday, all at the same time...:smilewink

VXR
09/28/2011, 11:36 PM
Let me put it all int perspective for you....

The writer of the article drives a Mercedes CLS550 AMG. Which also must mean, he has never popped his own hood, put air in his own tires, or washed/vacuumed it himself. Do not take offense to THIS GUY, spilling nonsense about YOUR vehicle. ;)

X2 well said:yesb:

blacksambo
10/03/2011, 08:02 PM
On the VX Forbes statment, the sentence makes no gramatical sense..."proved seemed"?????

TexVeX
10/04/2011, 08:23 PM
Why on earth am I attracted to that Suzuki x-90? Gawd, I must be a weirdo.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45eimh/suzuki-x-90

It does seem more in my price range though; what I have seen so far. heheh.

TexVeX
10/05/2011, 02:07 PM
I mean I know there are a few haters of the x-90 here on the forum from reading past posts, but I found just as many who liked or loved one. So I looked at goggle photos and began to wonder....

Would this type of mod make the vehicle less ugly to the haters?
Not that it would influence my opinion. Just curious I guess.
I mean I realize it IS funny looking, but so is the VX to lots of folks and I love the look of a VX on account of it being unique.

http://www.generationx90.com/images/X90_new_shoes_fender_flairs_009.JPG

Ldub
10/06/2011, 05:48 AM
Why on earth am I attracted to that Suzuki x-90? Gawd, I must be a weirdo.

If not for the weird factor, none of us would be here...:yesgray:

I mean I know there are a few haters of the x-90 here on the forum from reading past posts, but I found just as many who liked or loved one. So I looked at google photos and began to wonder....

Would this type of mod make the vehicle less ugly to the haters?
Not that it would influence my opinion.

My thoughts on that have always been, do (mod) & drive what suits Y O U, never mind the h8trs & nay sayers.
If everyone did the same thing all the time, we'd still be living in the stone age.

Daver
10/06/2011, 06:25 AM
Heh. Typhoon was my first car. Still miss it. :)

tom4bren
10/06/2011, 07:10 AM
It kinda sucks the fun out of learning about a new vehicle when the writer starts griping about ...

Agreed but it also sux when they only write about the good stuff, give it glowing praises but never really evaluate/critique what's really important.

TexVeX
10/06/2011, 10:41 AM
Cool. Now all I gotta do is scrape up 4000 bucks out of nothing. lol.

mindaugas
10/13/2011, 12:09 AM
I saw a G-wagen leaving a mud pit which prompted me to enter said mud pit. the Nissan cabrio was a pace car for the US Pro Cycling Challenge here in CO and looked great with beautiful models in it.