PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine

Eckstream
09/29/2003, 11:35 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has experienced the same problem as me. I just rolled 30k miles and my check engine light has been coming on and off. I got it in to the dealer when it went out and had diagnostics run but they said nothing was showing. They could not tell why it came on. I checked the gas cap cuz I read that could be the problem but that didnt solve it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

SGT.BATGUANO
09/29/2003, 11:50 PM
Intermittent problems are the toughest to diagnose. Your only choices are wait till you get a hard setting code (doesn't go off), bring it to dealer, autozone or pepboys while the light is on or buy a capable diagnostic tester (about $200) and have it ready to plug in the next time the malfunction indicator light comes on.

johnnyapollo
09/30/2003, 03:25 AM
I had a light right after the 30K service. Took it back in and they downloaded and upgraded the firmware. After that everything was fine. You may want to ask them about it.

-- Best, John

Cyrk
09/30/2003, 06:33 AM
John I am due for my 30K service... where did you take her and how much was it??

-Dave

Eckstream
10/02/2003, 07:36 AM
Well I just got back from the dealer. It was the maf and throttle body. I have no idea what would cause this but was told it would be around 1500.00 without the warranty. Thank god I got the extended one!! If anyone else has had the same problem please let me know about your experience. Mine was good due to the dealer(A.W. Golden) in south east Pa. The funny thing is that my VX ran fine even though these are crucial parts.

ScubaSteve
10/02/2003, 08:22 AM
$1500? I dunno man... i don't trust dealers any further than I can throw em... And trust me i've tried -- I can't throw em THAT far.

Fun to watch them bounce though.......

I think reputation-wise, dealers rank right down there with lawyers and such. There's ONE mechanic down here that I trust. I will go to them for out-of-pocket work any day of the week before I go to the Isuzu dealer in Waldorf for warranty work...