PDA

View Full Version : Provenance...

Scott Larson
09/21/2011, 07:13 PM
As our VXs get older, along with the rest of us, that all-too-important word "provenance" comes into play, regarding it's value! To that point, I'm curious; who among us knows and can prove the true history of our individual vehicles? I thought it an interesting question, as I know nothing of my VXs history, but am surely curious...:confused::bgwo:

Scott Larson
09/21/2011, 07:19 PM
Deermagnet, I'm thinkin' you can prove yours to conception!

Ldub
09/21/2011, 08:20 PM
I have no absolute proof, but have the word of the used car dealer, & the original POS dealer, that mine spent the first years of her life, & the first 9700 miles, here in Fargo.

The PO bought it new in late 99/or early 01, & drove it very little.

I've maintianed stewardship of her since I found my "life size HOTWHEELS" ever since the ":heart: @ 1st sight" moment back in the spring of 04.

All the rest is history...mine & hers...:heart:

Scott Larson
09/21/2011, 08:45 PM
"POS" dealer, would that be "point of sale" or "piece of sh%t", inquiring minds want to know?:p

RickOKC
09/21/2011, 09:09 PM
The records that came with my VX don't include everything, but I have receipts going back to 2007. At least it's later life is somewhat-documented and covers a lot of the "biggies" (timing belt, water pump, CV boots, brake pads & flush, etc.)

Ldub
09/21/2011, 10:30 PM
"POS" dealer, would that be "point of sale" or "piece of sh%t", inquiring minds want to know?:p

I knew that would get asked...:laughing:.:thumbup:

johnnyapollo
09/22/2011, 03:14 AM
I have everything relating to mine - even some paperwork I'm not supposed to have.
http://www.wildtoys.com/Vehicross/MyVX.asp

-- John

WormGod
09/22/2011, 06:48 AM
I have at least the window sticker of mine from purchase. From 32 miles on the ODO, it has been in my possession. It's seen some good times, and bad. But no matter what, if I were to ever hand over the keys, I could personally answer every question about it's history to the new owner.

vt_maverick
09/22/2011, 07:04 AM
Seems like provenance would only matter if you were the original owner or if you had documented proof that someone famous owned your VX at some point. Those of us that bought ours used with low miles have some advantages on maintaining our VX's, but if the previous owners weren't famous I can't see that helping resale value.

My VX is a bit unusual because it had 4 owners in the first 22K miles (counting me). But thankfully the previous 3 owners managed to keep all the original materials so I have everything that new owners were supposed to receive. ;)

frankd14321
09/22/2011, 07:23 AM
Don't know the whole story but it spent it's whole life in Ohio mostly... the car fax was 100% clean and had every time it switched owners down. Seems it got repoed a couple times.. but with only 60k on it no dents, a perfect roof, and NO RUST... i think it was a garage queen.

nfpgasmask
09/22/2011, 08:30 AM
Well, I am the second owner. Had it since 23,500 miles. Bought it from a Mercedes dealership after the original owner traded it in. I supsequently found the identity of the original owner (his name and phone number were in the VX manual pouch) and I contacted him about maintenance records which also resulted in getting an additional key fob that he found for it after he traded it in. So I know my VX was sold in Chicago to the original owner who had it since 2002-2006 and then traded it in, whereafter I bought it and the rest is my history.

Bart

Scott Larson
09/22/2011, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=vt_maverick;239845]Seems like provenance would only matter if you were the original owner or if you had documented proof that someone famous owned your VX at some point.

Rarely does the notoriety of previous owners come into play, it's more about proving the history of a collector vehicle to prospective buyers. The more documentation you have for said vehicle, the more saleable that vehicle becomes. Of course if you also have proof that Angelina Jolie owned it too, that certainly doesn't hurt it's resale value...:bwgy:

Ebenezr
09/22/2011, 11:08 AM
Well the first owner of mine put 75,000 miles on it the first 3 years. It was originally sold to an individual on the East coast of Florida. There was also a police woman in that area that had a VX. Mine has Police Interceptor badges and the rt side markers are blackened out. Hmmm. :_cop: ;oob; Then the next owner cut a twelve inch hole in the cover over the spare tire for a sub woofer. :_thinking:_crying: but someone put a nice lift on it. :thumbup:

Etfren
09/22/2011, 12:15 PM
I like to make jokes about how mine is a clean 1 owner (now two) rig, clean title, no accidents. Everything I know about it is from reading through Alan's forum posts. I was mostly looking for what mods and such he did to it, but I found some stories of his driving practices as well. ;eekb;

vt_maverick
09/22/2011, 12:25 PM
Rarely does the notoriety of previous owners come into play, it's more about proving the history of a collector vehicle to prospective buyers. The more documentation you have for said vehicle, the more saleable that vehicle becomes.

Do you think that still applies in the modern age of CarFax, AutoCheck, and dealership VIN databases that track rare options? No they're not 100%, but neither is some guy's memory and his documents which may or may not be authentic.

JoFotoz
09/22/2011, 12:54 PM
AFAIK...mine is a two owner.

Originally purchased in late 1999 by a start up DOT COM company (..yea...one of those! ) here in So Cal.

DOT COM went the way of many..CAPUT!...bankruptcy eventually.
She was stored away for almost 4 years (lengthy bankruptcy B/S)....BUT..driven every month.
Service records up to date...but minimal due to low mileage.

I purchased her in Dec 2004 with 10200 miles on her.

And the rest is ORW history... :dance:

jo

Scott Larson
09/22/2011, 01:07 PM
Do you think that still applies in the modern age of CarFax, AutoCheck, and dealership VIN databases that track rare options? No they're not 100%, but neither is some guy's memory and his documents which may or may not be authentic.

Not sure why you feel the need to bust my balls on this subject, really! I was simply curious about our members records, (not memories) regarding thier VXs...really! :confused: Having a bad day?

vt_maverick
09/22/2011, 02:37 PM
Not bustin' your balls Scott, sorry if it came across that way! I just think it's an interesting question - how will the age of digital records impact the way "modern classics" are valued in the future? Will owners of exotics be able to sue CarFax or Experian (they own AutoCheck) if a false report destroys their performance at auction?

Ownership stories (or the mystery thereof for us used buyers) is an interesting topic. Didn't mean to detract from that, just sharing some curiosities.

Scott Larson
09/22/2011, 05:51 PM
Gotcha Mav, no worries. I was simply curious about others here who have far more info and documentation then I, regarding their VXs. I have, and can prove, next to nothing regarding mine! It all checks out A-OK and runs and drives like new but other then that, notta, zip, nothin'. Somehow, I've become comfortable with the mystery...

Gussie2000
09/22/2011, 05:58 PM
I got no proven records but what pops up on carfax & autocheck.

According to the dealer where i bought the VX he was placed in a storage facility up in massachussets for 5 years when the original onwer passed away,the son didn't wanna get rid of it although he have his own VX,but after gotten married he had to let it go.

Anita
09/22/2011, 06:56 PM
After 11 years of ownership, I have every frikkin receipt for every service and/or repair done. Dont know why, but I do. They take up a whole lot of drawer space!

Scott Larson
09/22/2011, 07:49 PM
Hey, if you ever sell, that's the kinda stuff people want to see. That, along with original sales papers, window sticker, you name it...

vt_maverick
09/22/2011, 08:10 PM
While we're on the subject of documentation, for those that have all those nifty original items, where/how do you store them? I keep everything in three files in my file cabinet (Maintenance, Ownership Paperwork, Memorabilia) but I really would like to find something to put them in that would be more like a coffee table book or photo album.

Anybody come up with anything?

Cobrajet
09/24/2011, 05:38 AM
After 11 years of ownership, I have every frikkin receipt for every service and/or repair done. Dont know why, but I do. They take up a whole lot of drawer space!

I've got all of my receipts from my 10 years of ownership also, but it really doesn't amount to much since it hasn't needed much maintenance beyond the regular service intervals. I have all the receipts and original documentation in one file folder. The folders for my '82 Mustang and '70 Torino are huge by comparison. :)