PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to Todd Adams

Anita
09/19/2011, 10:23 AM
I received an email from an old VX friend who wished me to relay the news of Todd Adams death.

"Hi Anita,
I'm not around on the boards much since Andy (Swordy) and I don't do a lot of wheeling anymore. I do, however, stay in touch with some of the wheeling crowd. I have been in contact with Linda and Todd Adams through Facebook, and we've remained friends. A few months ago I was heartbroken to hear that Todd Adams was struggling with bladder cancer. He struggled to the point that they had to remove his bladder. Linda was his wife/nurse/gopher/friend every bit of the way. Today, with tears running down my face, I'm saddened to say we lost our VX friend, and guide. Moab will never be the same again. I am writting to you so you can possible post to the community of VX'rs that knew Todd. Linda is heartbroken and can use prayers. - Deby Miller "

I spent two VX campaigns at Moab with Todd and will miss his sense of humor and trail leadership. He dearly loved the VX and will be sorely missed by all who knew him. My condolences to his lovely, amazing lady, Linda.

WormGod
09/19/2011, 10:37 AM
Sad news. My heart and thoughts go out to his family.

Scott Harness
09/19/2011, 10:37 AM
Godspeed my friend!:(:(:(

Ldub
09/19/2011, 11:05 AM
To Linda & the rest of Todds family, My sincere condolences...:(

Todd was a genuine original, with incredible knowledge of the Moab trails & the history of the area, he will be very much missed.

RIP Todd, you were, & shall always remain, Trail Boss Numero Uno.

tom4bren
09/19/2011, 11:11 AM
I never met Todd but was heartbroken none-the-less just based upon his reputation. My heartfelt condolences goes out to his family and friends.

nocturnalVX
09/19/2011, 11:28 AM
I have been in Touch with Linda as well, and the last week or so had many ups and downs. For a while there, we thought Todd would be leading trails again next year... Sad to hear that Todd will not be making Moab in person next May, but I know he will be there in spirit.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Moab_2009_1091.jpg

I have Linda's address, and will P.M. it to anyone that would like to send a card or anything.

TexVeX
09/19/2011, 11:38 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of such sad news. Why are good folks always taken too soon?

JoFotoz
09/19/2011, 12:22 PM
Sad news indeed.

Many of us had our first off road experience under Todds leadership.

The sharing of knowledge, and respectful stewardship of off roading
that he instilled in all of us, will be but one of his many legacies.

My thoughts and condolences to Linda and all the Adams clan.

Jo

MeowMix
09/19/2011, 12:31 PM
Todd was the trail leader of my very first trail, ever; I will never forget his kindness and understanding as he guided my novice self through obstacles which seemed terrifying to me at the time. I am very fortunate to have been able to meet such a wonderful man. His memory will live on forever, for each and every Moab to come...RIP, Todd. My most sincere condolences go out to Linda and all of Todd's family; all will be in my prayers.

Moncha
09/19/2011, 12:40 PM
I'm speechless, To the best trail leader in the world and a great friend... Cheers!
Linda and family, you will always be in my heart and prayers.. Lots of love to you!

Scott

Triathlete
09/19/2011, 02:47 PM
This news has totally shocked and saddened me. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. You will be greatly missed.
My condolences go out to Linda and the Adams family.

nfpgasmask
09/19/2011, 02:56 PM
Terrible news. I had the pleasure of wheeling Moab with Todd and Linda in 2008. R.I.P., Todd.

Bart

H3_VX
09/19/2011, 03:13 PM
I have never met thee, but my condolences to the family. :(

BigSwede
09/19/2011, 04:39 PM
Todd spotting me on one of my first wheeling trails ever...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/BigSwede/99%20Trooper/38627721KtiiQy_ph.jpg

tomdietrying
09/19/2011, 05:27 PM
My first trail with Todd was a fantastic experience. He led The VX Run back in 2004 to Hotel Rock. He was so sharing with his knowledge and skills. He made you feel as though you were everything he was. That's what I admired about Todd.

Todd is one of those people you meet in life who is truly special. He was giving of himself and never wanted anything in return. I can't say this about a lot of people in life, but I don't hesitate to say this about Todd. I'm a better person for knowing a man like Todd.

Thanks Todd and Peace be with you.

Tom

pbkid
09/19/2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, I am in shock. This is terrible news to see first thing as you log on.

I am saddened and my best wishes to Linda and his family.

Thanks for all the great help and spotting you were always willing to give. The trail boss position could never be replaced like Todd did it.

RickOKC
09/19/2011, 05:51 PM
My condolences to his family and friends. Sounds like I really missed out by never meeting him. Rest in peace.

VX KAT
09/19/2011, 06:50 PM
Oh my, so sorry to hear this sad news. :( Linda told me about his battle when we were in Moab this year, and he sure had the heart of a fighter!
RIP our dear friend Todd! We'll see you one day again! :thumbup:

Scott Harness
09/19/2011, 06:54 PM
:( Just like his instructions on the trail "Leave it better than you found it"
That's what he did with this world...prayers to Linda and family

VX crazy
09/19/2011, 06:54 PM
Since my first Moab trip in 2003, I never trusted many to spot me ! Another arch in the clouds! RIP Todd, to Linda and the Adams family, there are no words for your loss!

Gizmo42
09/19/2011, 06:59 PM
Very sad news. It was very difficult for me to hear about his battle when I heard about it in Moab this year. My mother died of the same thing.

RIP Todd, you will be sorely missed.

VX crazy
09/19/2011, 07:16 PM
Todd and I, in a bathtub, Moab 2003! :(http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/photo-3.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21554)

Chris Perosi
09/19/2011, 07:28 PM
I was so saddened to hear this news earlier today from mutual friends on Facebook. Todd was instrumental in advocating Isuzus off-road, and was a great friend and mentor. It's been years since we spoke, but in the years that we were close, he created a lasting impression on me as both a 4-wheeler and a friend. He will be greatly missed, but his legacy will live on forever in the Isuzu community.

Rest in Peace Todd.

VXIRONwoMAN
09/19/2011, 07:41 PM
Hearing this really hits the heart. Linda kept Gill and I in the know in Moab and for the past couple weeks. It has been a roller coaster ride. When I spoke to Todd this past Moab trip, he summed it up with "Getting old sucks!" Todd, you are a huge inspiration to many of us to live life to it's fullest. Words cannot express my feelings, so maybe some photos can do the talking/writing for me.

Many hugs to Linda and the Adams family...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Cece_off_roadin_.jpghttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Moab2008_142.JPGhttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Moab2008_33_.JPGhttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Moab2008_76_.JPG

We love you Buddy!!! You will be greatly missed.

twalker920
09/19/2011, 07:49 PM
Very sorry for your loss :(

My thoughts are with his family...he sounds like one truly great guy.

Triathlete
09/19/2011, 08:11 PM
Todds arch from Moab 2009:angel:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/09%20Moab%20day2/09MoabDay2DomePlateau074.jpg

VX KAT
09/19/2011, 09:21 PM
Much love to you Linda....
Wonderful memories....
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MOABcomingdownhill.jpg

Gizmo42
09/19/2011, 09:28 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XI%202008/IMG_3472m.jpg

Billy, that was the first thing I though of when I saw Lisa's post on facebook

Lisa Bauman
RIP Todd Adams! Another arch in the sky!

Gussie2000
09/19/2011, 09:46 PM
To the adams family for such loss.

And todd we all pay you due respect for being the trail leader for so many years.

Never had the opportunity to meet in person,but looking @ all those pics says how much the VX and the isuzu community trusted you.

RIP !

ZEUS
09/19/2011, 11:57 PM
Happy Trails, Todd...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/YAY.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Cool.jpg

VX crazy
09/20/2011, 04:34 AM
Todds arch from Moab 2009:angel:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/09%20Moab%20day2/09MoabDay2DomePlateau074.jpg

Actually this was the VX only run in memory of Tone that we saw the arch, so we said it was Tones arch, but now Todd will have an arch too!

crager34
09/20/2011, 07:51 AM
Todd was a good man. I am honored to have met him.

Mark B
09/20/2011, 08:41 AM
My sympathy and prayers goes out to the family and friends.

MSHardeman
09/20/2011, 09:58 PM
Todd, I'm a better person for having known you, but that makes your loss all the more painful.

Rest in peace.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/20/2011, 11:29 PM
My only trip so far to Moab was highlighted by getting to meet Todd along with the vx crowd and experiencing my first bit of off-roading; which was helped out immensley by Todd's help and skillful guidance at getting me & my then stock VX through the tougher spots. I had hoped to meet up with him & the gang someday again @ a future Moab meet. He will sorely be missed.

Moncha
09/21/2011, 08:00 AM
... first bit of off-roading; which was helped out immensley by Todd's help and skillful guidance at getting me & my then stock VX through the tougher spots....

If not for Todd and his expertise in spotting and guidance, I would have never been back to Moab to run trails. Elephant Hill was my first time, before they did all the paving and Todd was responsible for me getting hooked on driving off-road and doing it without tearing up my truck. I'm going to miss his narratives of the surrounding area and knowledge of nature and natural science.

Make sure leave it it better shape than when you arrived. The first time I heard that, my respect for the outdoors changed dramatically... In fact, I use that philosophy in my day to day life as well.

Good bye, my friend... NEVER forgotten :angel:

Dumke
09/21/2011, 08:08 AM
I have a loss for words. My thoughts go out to the Linda and the Adams family.

I was being stubborn taking a line that I probably shouldnt have taken. After about the umpteenth try Todd said to me with a smile "I think you should take another line" . You warned me (along with others) about Gooney Bird. You helped when I thought my truck was dead broke (from said bird). Todd you sir will be truely missed. Thank you for everything Todd may you rest in peace knowing you have touched many lives.

Scott Larson
09/21/2011, 09:17 AM
From Tone to Todd, another VX legend gone...RIP Sir! My condolences to your family.

ZEUS
09/21/2011, 06:55 PM
Anyone heard anything about funeral arrangments?

Anita
09/21/2011, 09:07 PM
Anyone heard anything about funeral arrangments?

I FB'd Linda about that. I would check Linda Adams Facebook page for information. Her wall is public. if I hear anything i'll post it.

lttlbddy
09/22/2011, 02:00 PM
I don't check in on this Forum very much but I stopped by for the group hug.

Todd taught many of us not only how to wheel the Isuzus in Moab but also taught us the Moab Tread Lightly way.

Todd will live on within those of us that learned from him!

Steve G

Anita
09/22/2011, 03:54 PM
From Linda Adams 10 hours ago~~

Yes
There is a viewing tonight and a service tomorrow. This is a link to his obituary in the Salt Lake Tribune.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=todd-adams&pid=153751420

Todd Adams 1950 ~ 2011
Todd Adams passed away at the age of 61 on September 19, 2011 surrounded by his family. He was born on June 29, 1950 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Homer R. and LaGrace G. Adams.
Todd married his high school sweetheart Linda Smith on August 5, 1969 in Salt Lake City. They had three children and shared 42 wonderful years together. He enjoyed 4-wheeling, camping, fishing, hunting, boating and spending time with his family. Todd was a very passionate advocate for open access to all land for all users. He was a member and past president of Utah 4-Wheel drive association. Member of Utah OHV Council and belonged to a number of other 4-wheel drive clubs. He was a trail leader for the Red Rock 4-wheelers during Easter Safari; Elephant hill was his favorite.
Todd Retired from Ryder Truck after 29 years and worked for Mack-Volvo Trucks for the past 5 years as a Technician Trainer, a job he loved.
Todd is survived by his loving wife, Linda; three children, Traci Brockmeier (Scott), J.R. Adams and Megan Adams; three grandchildren, Miranda and Devin Brockmeier and Perrin Adams; brother David Adams; many nieces and nephews, and also his multitude of friends. He was preceded in death by his parents, a niece and two of her children.
Services will be held Friday, September 23 at 11:00 a.m. at Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 East 10600 South. Friends may call Thursday from 6-8 p.m. at Larkin Sunset Lawn, 2350 East 1300 South and again Friday morning one hour prior to the services at Larkin Sunset Gardens. Interment at Larkin Sunset Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Todd's name to any Wells Fargo Bank Branch. Online condolences at larkincares.com".

taylorRichie
05/25/2012, 08:57 PM
Happy Trails, Todd...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/YAY.jpg

:'(

I can't believe I didn't hear about this.

Todd was my first Spotter ever, and then led Zeuss and I up American Fork Canyon to Forest Lake. Which was my second time wheeling. You can see me in the top left of Zeus's Picture, along with Brittany.)

He bailed me out when I cross threaded my Tie Rods. He had me take it down to his school (where he was Lead Instructor over the Heavy Truck program at DATC, If I'm not mistaken). He hand filed and fixed my threads, showed me a few tricks to prevent it from happening again, and to fix it when/if it does.

I posted on here once about spare tires, and my need for a full-sized one. I got a call from Todd, He gave me a full set of Vehicross wheels and tires (16") There wasn't much tread left, but plenty as a spare. He wouldn't let me pay him anything, and said the only requirement was that I take all 4.

I'm totally bummed. Lynda and Todd are some of the nicest people I've ever met, and he will truly be missed. :(

lasturbo
05/26/2012, 10:16 PM
Condolences to the Adams Family. RIP

JoFotoz
05/26/2012, 11:12 PM
X2..

Todd taught many of us not only how to wheel the Isuzus in Moab but also taught us the Moab Tread Lightly way.

Steve G

.....well said.

Jo

Ldub
05/27/2012, 08:19 AM

Steve G

X2..

.....well said.

Jo

X3..

It was SO good to see Linda on the stoop, to share hugs, tears, & yes...even a giggle or two.

Todd was an extraordinary man/trail leader/husband/friend.

You are much missed Todd...Rest in peace friend.

Baldmason
06/02/2013, 10:15 PM
I just now came upon this thread. All I can say is how happy I am that he was well liked by the members of this group. He loved the outdoors, especially 4-wheeling in them. Most especially in his VX. He was very proud of that rig. He also loved sharing his passion for our public lands. He wanted everyone to enjoy it as much as he did. We were finally able to bring the VX down for a small part of the '13 ZuZu, and it was so good to finally meet some of you who he shared his passions with. I look forward to meeting more of you in the future! Again, my family and I are overwhelmed with all the love shown for my dad. And I thank all of you for that.

nocturnalVX
06/03/2013, 07:42 AM
We all learn from those around us, and it has a direct impact on how we live our lives. I think that anyone who was fortunate enough to have your father in their life is a better person for it. Todd will always live on in each of us...

Triathlete
06/03/2013, 02:48 PM
We all learn from those around us, and it has a direct impact on how we live our lives. I think that anyone who was fortunate enough to have your father in their life is a better person for it. Todd will always live on in each of us...

X2
Well said Gil.

JoFotoz
06/03/2013, 03:30 PM
Todd figuratively....

....AND literally !!...

....held many of our hands , as our skill level grew !!

He was our first ( and best possible ) introduction to 4X4'ing.

It was GREAT to see you all, and "Hot Wheels" in Moab this year..
...and look fwd to many more !

Cheers

jo

Ldub
06/03/2013, 08:17 PM

X2
Well said Gil.

Todd figuratively....

....AND literally !!...

....held many of our hands , as our skill level grew !!

He was our first ( and best possible ) introduction to 4X4'ing.

It was GREAT to see you all, and "Hot Wheels" in Moab this year..
...and look fwd to many more !

Cheers

jo

Hellz Yeah Bro...yer old man was a lot of things...all of those things that I ever witnessed, were the stuff that better men than I are made of...:thumbup:

And that's why I miss him...& also why I'm glad to have met you...:yes:

You, my friend, are cut of some pretty fine yardage, what with tha parents you gots born to...:cool:

RickOKC
06/05/2013, 06:08 PM
Baldmason,

I'm still pretty much a newbie here, but everything I read about your dad makes me regret that I missed out on something special because I didn't get a chance to meet him and I've heard others say same thing.

And for those who forget the term that goes with "don't bust the crust" - it's called "Cryptobiotic Soil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptobiotic_soil)." (I overheard people trying to remember what the heck it's called for the last 2 years so I looked it up!)

Chopper
06/06/2013, 06:18 AM
My gawd the time flies by.....
14 years for some of us. Living in the extreme S.E. I never met Todd except thru here.

They have come and gone....and some of our best have gone on ahead.....scouting and spotting a trail, and safe driveline for the rest of us, I suspect:yeso:

At least Todd left a like minded son to keep it rolling.
(you have Dads' rig? I'm saving mine for my son and grandson too) Welcome youngster!
Peace

Baldmason
06/06/2013, 10:44 PM
Yes, I have Dad's rig. I have been trying to do a lot of fixing on it, and I'm almost done!! (I hope!) No matter what I do to it, I will always keep the "Hot Wheels" emblem on the insert. Even if I have to have new ones made!!!!!