PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Markers...

Cyrk
09/29/2003, 04:18 PM
Had a problem with my Clear Corners so Mike @ www.clearcorners.com redo them in smoked for me...

Hard to tell from the photos but they really blend nice with the darker color VXs!

Might have him do the redo the rest in the "Smoked" finish.

-Dave

This first pic is the Clear on the left and Smoked on the right:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39clear_smoked.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39smoke_markers1.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39smoke_markers2.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39smoke_markers3.jpg

Bantan
09/29/2003, 04:43 PM
Cyrk,
You're right, they do look much better on the Black VXes.:thumbup:
Wish I had held out for the smoked ones. :homer:
How much did Mike want for the smoke set (its not up on his site yet)?
Was there a reason you did not get them with the Dual Leds?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/225olympus_download_299-med.jpg
This pic does not do the Leds justice, they are really bright. :clap:

Cyrk
09/29/2003, 04:51 PM
Wish I could afford the LEDs... too much money for me.
Need to save my pennies for the Supercharger.

Mike replaced my Clear ones for the smoked ones. Not sure how much he charges for them, I would assume that it would be the same price?

My VX was the prototype one with the lenes... I have been through allot with him and the quality has gotten so much better

I think that I have been through 5 sets of lens...

-Dave

2K1 1K2
09/29/2003, 05:24 PM
NICE !

old_s13
10/01/2003, 07:36 PM
>You're right, they do look much better on the Black VXes.
>Wish I had held out for the smoked ones.
>How much did Mike want for the smoke set (its not up on
>his site yet)?

Hey everyone, I figure I would chime in since I havent had time to update the web site yet. Cost on the smoked vs clear is the same, its basically just another option for VX'ers to chose from which makes their cars even more unique.

Mercer, if you want to go with the smoked side-markers that shouldnt be a problem. Just send back your originals and I can have them disassembled and recoated with the new finish. There will be a charge for disassembling them but its really minor.. it just covers the new lenses that will need to be cut and mounted.

>My VX was the prototype one with the lenes... I have been
>through allot with him and the quality has gotten so much
>better
>
>I think that I have been through 5 sets of lens...
>
>-Dave

I owe Dave a big public thanks, he has been a customer with us since day one, when there were no products for the VX. I believe you purchased the first set of side-markers back in the day, since then we made a lot of design changes and finally came out with our new side-markers. Plus, we ran into that adhesive issue.. oh man. Big thanks Dave, if you ever decide to get any other lamps from us.. just let me know, I've got you taken care of price-wise.

Anyway, we're in the midst of a move this month. If anyone has any questions or looking to purchase any goods from us, just send me an e-mail at mike@clearcorners.com -- I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

ps: We are actually stocking many of the lights you see on the site. If your VX is a daily driver, just ask.. we may be able to do a core exchange with your originals to help reduce downtime.

Regards,

Mike Mamos
Owner/ClearCorners.Com

johnnyapollo
10/01/2003, 08:06 PM
Hey Mike,

Any thoughts on converting the VX headlight to HID w/LED or other modifications?

-- Best, John

hchen
10/01/2003, 11:19 PM
you want HIDs? just jack one off a maxima and you can make it fit. easy...maxima HIDs fit almost everything. just call it "universal" HIDs. im gettin a set from my boy for 2 billz...for all the older people...$200. spendin 5 billz to 1 g on new ones is stupid. just scope out a nice new maxima and proceed to relieve it off it's eyes and youre set! jus thave someone watch your back in case the owner goes out for his midnight stroll and knocks you over the head.

old_s13
10/02/2003, 01:03 AM
John, I havent looked into HID for the VX yet. Honestly, I dont really like HID on tall vehicles.. I think its just too much light for cars that tall. Combine 3x the light output with a suspension that moves easily, and you've got a car which emits a lot of glare. Mfg's like BMW can somewhat overcome this obstacle with auto-leveling devices, or in the Infiniti QX4, they have a manually adjustable "headlight controller" located inside the cabin.. but most people are too lazy and/or ignorant to even use these great features.. that is why the BMW has sensors throughout the car which auto-level the lights. Even with technology like that, I still see TONS of glare from cars like the newest Range Rover. At this point, I dont see HID is too much of a priority. Besides, cars with tall headlights like the VX should have some pretty good light.. its the low sportscars that tend to suffer.

- Mike

you want HIDs? just jack one off a maxima and you can make it fit. easy...

mmmmmmm... classy.

we need more people like you in this world. :)

thank god for karma.

WyrreJ
10/02/2003, 03:45 AM
Everything that I have read from expert sources says that leveling, auto or manual, is for load-based adjustments only (as in, put a heavy load in the rear of the vehicle and that tends to angle the front-end upwards a few degrees so compensate for that by aiming the lights back down a few degress) and not for real-time hill/dip adjustments. Apparently, all auto-levelers are too slow to compensate for changes due to road geometry, except perhaps the mechanisms on some 2004 saabs which claim millisecond reaction times. In Europe, if they don't have an auto-leveling system almost all cars have the manual adjuster even if they have halogens, there is just something about DOT specs that makes that rare over here -- only nissan/infiniti seems to be bucking that trend with their newer models like the murano/fx and qx lines. It is apparently a popular mod for a lot of Euro-brands like VWs to add the manual adjustment because usually most of the mechanism is there in the car, just the dashboard switch has been removed.

Glare is largely a function of the light housing and lens and there too DOT versus ECE spec makes a big difference. DOT actually requires a fair amount of glare because they want some light spray above the cut-off in order to provide illumination for signs as well as to increase visibility over hills and that sort of thing. ECE spec projector housings have a very sharp cutoff, often with an upware flaring on the right to illuminate road signs. I have noticed that the stock VX beam pattern is very similar with a remarkably sharp cutoff for a halogen reflector system (versus a projector, either halogen or HID) and a flare on the right.

The DOT has recently made it illegal in the USA to sell HID retrofit kits that are not projector-based (as in just pop these Xenon bulbs plus ballasts in your standard halogen reflector system), or rather they have just started enforcing a technicality in the law that made them illegal since day one (and along those lines, labeling a product as "for off-road/show use only" does not make a bit of difference as far as the DOT cares). The unofficial word on why the DOT has started this enforcement is that it is because of the large number of complaints about glare which they have decided/determined are due mainly to HIDs installed in housings designed for halogens rather than properly designed systems which should, in theory, have less glare than even any DOT approved halogen system.

So, to go HID you pretty much have to go with a projector based retrofit and for the most part you have to use OEM parts like those from BMWs or Audis. In my research on the subject I haven't heard anyone else mention any particular benefit, like ease of installation, for maxima OEM HIDs. From what I can tell, Audi, particularly A3 (a model not available in the USA) HIDs are prized for ease of installation because their size is fairly small, I think about two inches in diameter. The Honda S2000 HIDs are also well liked for their sharp cutoff (even DOT models) and extra amounts of blue in the beam (which is due to the shape of the projector housing and lens, not the color temp of the bulb as all OEM HID projectors have color temps in the 4100K to 4300K range, until the bulb has aged significantly resulting in "color-shift" which increases the bulb's effect color temperature).

For those who are interested in all this stuff, including info on doing a manual retrofit using OEM parts from other manufacturers, the best source of info that I've found is www.hidforum.com although there is definitely a lower SNR there than a place like the vehicross.info.

WormGod
10/02/2003, 04:39 AM
Hey lookit, it's Mike! :)

Mike Kudos on the tail lights. They are awesome, and people who see them are totally digging them. Especially Dodge drivers.... go figure.

Them smokers look pretty tight Cyrk. Dunno if I am gonna make teh spread on them though, since I have a plate full of other stuff I have to get. I am pretty happy with the all clear, since they stand out just enough. They tend to break up some of the completely black surface, which I like. Looking good though.

It seems we are running out of mods for Mike to hook us up with. ;)

old_s13
10/02/2003, 09:57 AM
Hey Gary, how's everything been? Dont worry, there are still a few mods left for the VX.. I still have to get back to Mercer about the 1/2 white 1/2 amber LED front turn signals. :) Those should match with his sidemarkers.. and are also avail in clear or smoke finish.

WyrreJ> The "ban" on HID is nothing recent, its actually been illegal to sell modified HID capsules for use in halogen headlights -- the law has not changed. What has changed, is the amount of complaints the NHTSA has received and the amount of enforment. They hit the nail on the head by sending letters to large distributors and resellers requiring they show proof that their products are indeed DOT compliant. I dont know how many of you guys are lighting gurus, but anyone paying attention within the last couple years has read plenty of discussions and arguements on the forums on how it is NOT okay to retrofit a halogen headlight to HID technology WITHOUT making changes to the headlight assembly. A lot of people were causing ruckus because they felt that these retrofits are indeed okay, and used words like "beam pattern corrected" on their website to try to fool buyers who just dont know better.

Anyway, a few years later.. after X amount of complaints, we are where we are now -- HID "retrofits" being outlawed. Another point, it doesnt matter if its reflector or projector -- halogen to HID is illegal UNLESS the entire components are DOT compliant, period. So, even NSX owners who have projector-based headlamps, cannot go with HID unless they change the projector lens/assembly. On the VX, I would imagine changing to DOT compliant projector OR reflector should be okay. But, like I said.. having this much light on such a taill car with a soft suspension is just not a good combination. EVEN on lowered cars like the S2000, there is a fair amount of glare due to the sharp cutoff, short wheelbase, and stiff suspension. Evertime I see S2000's in my rearview, I see a bouncy set of HID's with tons of color abhorration -- I guess people like the intensity of light and rainbow appearance, but when looking in the rearview of MY car, I dont! :) Same reason I hate the Range Rover.

I have not had a chance to verify whether or not the auto-levelers react in real-time or whether they are just load-dependent. I know most of the BMWs have sensors mounted throughout the car and from what I've seen, the servos do function rather quickly. I would think that they DO operate while driving as well, just not on smaller bumps. I drive through a lot of canyons out here in LA and I have to give it up to BMW, they are one of the few cars that dont bother me.. (and I drive a pretty low sportscar).

You are correct on the lighting pattern, ECE's typically have that sharper cutoff and wider light spread -- vs DOT which has a blotch above the cutoff, perfect for longer distances which the US is full of. Both serve a purpose, but given the terrain I drive in.. I like ECE-spec lights. DOT is fine for cars that drive big open highways though.

All in all, good information.
- Mike

Bantan
10/02/2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by old_s13
I still have to get back to Mercer about the 1/2 white 1/2 amber LED front turn signals. :) Those should match with his sidemarkers.. and are also avail in clear or smoke finish.
Hey Mike,
When are you gonna get a VX?
I was also thinking about your super Leds for the front round park lights and Horn lights, any Ideas on that? at this point I have #197 6 mini led bulb in the park ligth and #168 regular filament color bulb in the horn. The Led was not as bright in the horn because of dirrectional reasons and a higher Wattage filament bulb would melt the housing. Guys, the leds are not just for looks they use less energy, last longer, & don't get as hot as regular bulbs.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/225olympus_download_299-med.jpg

Mike, thanks again for your precious contributions.
Mercer

old_s13
10/02/2003, 03:45 PM
Hey Mike, When are you gonna get a VX?

hehe sorry Mercer, I guess I am not an SUV guy. I cant seem to adjust to cars with power steering and a high center of gravity. :) I like the VX though, I've read so many good things about its design.. that is why its probably the only SUV listed on our site!

I was also thinking about your super Leds for the front round park lights and Horn lights, any Ideas on that? at this point I have #197 6 mini led bulb in the park ligth and #168 regular filament color bulb in the horn. The Led was not as bright in the horn because of dirrectional reasons and a higher Wattage filament bulb would melt the housing.

Well, let me make sure I am talking about the right lamp first. The signals can be modified to LED, I can custom make a circuit board for that one. As for the "round" lamp, what type of bulb is used to illuminate that area -- and is it just a parking lamp? If its an 197-style bulb (small wedge bulb), I can probably custom make some very trick LED circuit board for that too. If you have a spare assembly, let me know.. otherwise, I may be able to pickup a set for core-exchanges as long as I see there is interest from the community here. I dont mind stocking the lamps to help reduce downtime for you guys, as long as there ARE people interested in such products.

Mike, thanks again for your precious contributions.

Not a problem Mercer, find some more lights to modify! You still need the tail lights, LED rear sidemarkers, and forward facing lamps ... hehe I am sure I can think of a few improvements. =)

ps: The shop is being moved to a new location this week, so if I am unavailable just leave a voicemail or e-mail, thanks!

- Mike