PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze leaking up by valve cover???

p_justin13
09/16/2011, 02:08 PM
Small amount of antifreeze looks like coming from top front corner of valve cover passenger side just to right of oil cap. not down lower like actual head gasket. Any ideas?

Ebenezr
09/16/2011, 05:21 PM
Magnet is right. There is a 3/8 inch ,small,coolant crossover. It actually is attached to the underside of the throttle body valve. Under the Idle air control.

johnnyapollo
09/17/2011, 03:21 AM
It may be too far away, but check for a pin hole in your window washer fluid reservoir.

-- John

atilla_the_fun
09/17/2011, 08:39 AM
There is also antifreeze passing through the throttle body, through a rubber tube that in my case had a pinhole leak. This leak, which would spray everywhere when under pressure led to antifreeze being found as far as the TOP of the battery !! - that was a strange find.. It was a 2$ part, and it cost me - maybe 20$ in antifreeze topoff

Ebenezr
09/17/2011, 09:05 AM
There is also antifreeze passing through the throttle body, through a rubber tube that in my case had a pinhole leak. This leak, which would spray everywhere when under pressure led to antifreeze being found as far as the TOP of the battery !! - that was a strange find.. It was a 2$ part, and it cost me - maybe 20$ in antifreeze topoff

Yes this is where I was referring to. A short piece of 3/8 connects to the underside of the throttle body then it exits the other side through 3/8 again. It is kind of ...weird.

p_justin13
09/18/2011, 06:34 PM
Well def not a head gasket no signs of antifreeze in the oil thank god. I cleaned everything off trying to pinpoint the cause and I'll be damned if it has seemed to go away. This always seems to happen. lol Seemed to only be happening after running for along time under pressure and hot. Wondering if maybe my upper hose may have been collapsing and squirting back towards the passenger valve cover. Will replace hoses and get the smaller gaskets as recommended and replace at same time. Always figures things like this seem to happen the day after it is in a shop somewhere???? Thanks for the help.

Amnesia
10/09/2011, 09:08 AM
I replaced the water manifold gaskets last week, as mentioned in the original post... Not noticing the 2 O-Rings on those pipes in the diagram... When I pulled the water manifold off, I was sad to discover that I didn't order a *MUCH* needed O-Ring (See 122 above). I found a hardware store equivalent and put it back together & the leak was worse than before & my original 122 O-ring was dried out, broken, & deteriorated... (211,000 miles)

So back to the above referenced Figure I go! This time I re-order the water manifold gaskets, BOTH O-Rings, thermostat & gasket, AND the various ruber hoses that are used in that area. They don't cost much, but I JUST recently replaced my intake manifold gasket & I WISH I would have just replaced that stuff at the same time! Now I have to pull the intake off again to replace a measly $1 or so O-Ring.... Words to the wise!

And, by the way - that 2nd O-ring (138) that plugs into the back of the thermostat housing is leaking after having replace the other gaskets, but it acts like a mystery leak because the valley under the intake acts like a bath tub and catches the coolant so you don't realize you have a leak. (It spills out when you drive & then is drip dry when you get home.) I had to take a micro snake-light to fish it down past the hoses to see all the standing water.

newthings
10/09/2011, 08:55 PM
I replaced the thermostat and the new one leaked. Had to go in again. The O rings 122 and 138 are leakers. Replace the hoses if you are in this area.
Roy

Amnesia
10/09/2011, 09:21 PM
Great... Now I'll have that in the back of my mind, that they're leakers!

I had kind of dismissed the first o-ring leak when I used a hardware store o-ring instead of the factory one. Even though as far as I could tell, they were darn near identicle. Hmmm....

Can't wait to tear into it again next week after I get the parts & I get back in town.

Think positive thoughts... Think...

AssyrianMe
11/15/2013, 09:39 AM
I replaced the thermostat and the new one leaked. Had to go in again. The O rings 122 and 138 are leakers. Replace the hoses if you are in this area.
Roy

I bought a coolant o ring kit, Same size leaked a bit. Parts guy gave me two o rings. Leaks a lot. Now I have to do it again.

Where to buy the 122 and 138 o rings??
Thanks so much.

...and sliding those pipes with the o rings was so difficult. Did you use silicon spray or something else to lubricate those rings?