PDA

View Full Version : New Land Rover Defender DC100 & DC100 Sport Concept

Riff Raff
09/14/2011, 07:39 PM
Well, it's official. Land Rover has unveiled its new concept of the "DEFENDER" DC100 & DC100 Sport coupes (DC100 named for Defender Concept with 100" wheelbase) at the Frankfurt Intl Auto Show. The two new Defender versions are scheduled to go into actual production in 2015. The new Defenders are a 2-door coupe with a split front bucket/bench seat to accomodate 3-passengers up front (there is no backseat). It is unknown if they will be exported to the USA; but I would say YES, based upon the USA sales success of the Range Rover Evoque.

The Limited Edition 1997 Defender-90 I used to own had cost over $50K brand new, so I would guess the 2015 Defender DC100 & DC100 Sport to command a price near the $70K (+/-) mark when it finally hits our shores.

Still a very cool looking concept from LR, and I'm glad they ARE going to build it in 2015. LR/RR is to be commended for being the ONLY automobile manufacturer willing to step away from the 4-door SUV norm and offer a 2-door Coupe SUV in both the 2012 RR Evoque and now once again with the revamped 2015 LR Defender (hardtop) & Defender Sport (roadster). Perhaps this move will jump start Ford to actually build the "Ford Bronco Retro" as a competing vehicle. Things that make you go Hmmm.

Speaking of the Ford Bronco "Retro" Concept which was unveiled in early January 2004 at the Detroit Auto Show (see 2nd "link" below), it is plain to see that Land Rover flat stole many of the same features and body lines (including the front intregal bumper winch and moonroof) directly from the 2004 Ford Bronco Concept!!! They are almost identical clones in every aspect. Compare the two "links" below, and see for yourself. Ford should quickly get their act together and build the Ford Bronco Concept as a 2013 model and price it at about $40K; thereby, beating-out the Land Rover Defender by two(2) years in production and by about $30K in MSRP. That marketing tactic by Ford would totally kill all Land Rover Defender sales before the 2015 release date. Just saying.......................

http://www.landrover.com/us/en/lr/defender-concept/photo-and-video/

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=b1ie7&va=ford+bronco+concept

:bgwb:

RickOKC
09/14/2011, 08:17 PM
Oh wow, I sure do like that convertible / removable top / whatever it is! I could never afford $70 (heck, my house didn't cost that!), but, hey, it's a Range Rover... maybe the price will really dump for a used one after a few years.

TheGanzman
09/15/2011, 07:22 AM
"...LR/RR is to be commended for being the ONLY automobile manufacturer willing to step away from the 4-door SUV norm and offer a 2-door Coupe SUV in both the 2012 RR Evoque and now once again with the revamped 2015 LR Defender (hardtop) & Defender Sport (roadster)...."

Not exactly. Porsche is moving ahead with PRODUCTION of their new "Cajun", based on the Audi Q5 platform. Initially slated to START as a five door, THEN a 3 door - their latest announcement is to start with the THREE door FIRST! Scheduled to be available late next year, or early 2013. I for one am EAGERLY awaiting this one! No offense to Land Rover, but without doing any online research, I gotta believe that the Porsche has got to be about 100 times MORE reliable day-to-day than the Land Rover...

Regarding the Evoque, I gotta say that personally speaking, the styling of that leaves me cold. The Porsche Cajun has got it goin' on styling-wise; to MY eye, it shares a number of the same styling queues that we all know and love from the VX...

Postscript: *I* will be on the next manned space mission to Mars before LR builds anything that even REMOTELY resembles that convertible concept...

nfpgasmask
09/15/2011, 08:22 AM
First off, the LR concept is nice, but I seriously doubt it will ever go to production. Stuff this cool never gets built...except in a few rare occasions....like our VXes.

Now the funny thing about the Bronco concept, is that I was thinking about a Bronco update over a year ago!! How cool!

http://notajeep.blogspot.com/2010/06/ive-decided.html

Bart

Ebenezr
09/15/2011, 11:29 AM
That Land Rover is one of the nicest designs I've seen of late. I'd buy it...that is if I had the $$$$$.

TheGanzman
09/15/2011, 01:07 PM
...Now the funny thing about the Bronco concept, is that I was thinking about a Bronco update over a year ago!! How cool!

http://notajeep.blogspot.com/2010/06/ive-decided.html

Bart

Already HAPPENING! Gonna be some SERIOUS cake though ($100K+) - better warm up your pistol and ski mask:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933492/1968-ford-bronco

Triathlete
09/15/2011, 01:27 PM
I'd buy a jeep before I'd buy a LR anything. I guess the LR is nice if you are a rap star and want to impress your your friends at the mall with your bling :D

Marlin
09/15/2011, 01:33 PM
I would say that thing is gonna go the route of the other stupid LR. It will be a car. Gas is going to get more expensive not cheaper, the environmentalists are slowly winning. There isn't going to be a niche for gas guzzling true 4x4s much longer.
Especially since the photos of that LR are all on low profile street tires, if they meant it to be a go anywhere 4x4, wouldn't they show it with ATs at a minimum?

Osteomata
09/15/2011, 02:46 PM
Ah yes, before I even read the comments I was thinking to myself "Marlin will no doubt completely slam this because it is not exactly like a VX." You are nothing if not consistent Chief!

I freaking love that Sport version, but even after going through the photo album and videos, I am confused as to how the top is supposed to work. Do they intend an electric soft or hard top, or a manually fully removed hard top? And if the "trunk" is only accessible b y completely removing that cover, that would be difficult to sell I think.

Also, combined federal and state gas tax is about 48 cents for a gallon, compared to roughly $3+ per gallon in much of Europe. Yeah, those liberals are really winning. Granting the impact of CAFE standards, it sounds more like the free market and consumer choice, of which gas prices are part of the equation, are determining which model car companies chose to invest and risk bringing into production.

Marlin
09/15/2011, 03:05 PM
It's not that I don't like the look of the vehicle, I am just saying its never gonna happen. It looks cool, as a concept.
As for the environmentalist, I wasn't referring to gas prices, I was referring to the closing of parks, the battle to keep them open and the trending of vehicles. A small 4x4 like ours would be awesome, but I doubt this D100 will fit the bill. No one is going to want a tiny 4x4 that gets <30mpg and costs 70K.
I am a big proponent of new vehicles, if my VX got totaled tomorrow, I would find an FJ Cruiser to replace it. (I hope Justin sees that, he hates those things...lol)

Ah yes, before I even read the comments I was thinking to myself "Marlin will no doubt completely slam this because it is not exactly like a VX." You are nothing if not consistent Chief!

I freaking love that Sport version, but even after going through the photo album and videos, I am confused as to how the top is supposed to work. Do they intend an electric soft or hard top, or a manually fully removed hard top? And if the "trunk" is only accessible b y completely removing that cover, that would be difficult to sell I think.

Also, combined federal and state gas tax is about 48 cents for a gallon, compared to roughly $3+ per gallon in much of Europe. Yeah, those liberals are really winning. Granting the impact of CAFE standards, it sounds more like the free market and consumer choice, of which gas prices are part of the equation, are determining which model car companies chose to invest and risk bringing into production.

Osteomata
09/15/2011, 04:09 PM
Oh OK, I see. Cause I thought that when you said "Gas is going to get more expensive not cheaper, the environmentalists are slowly winning" that you were linking them. Cause they are in the same sentence. In a "because this then that format." My bad.

But point taken on questioning the market viability of this LR. I wonder what the percentage of concept vehicles making it to market roughly intact is?

It's not that I don't like the look of the vehicle, I am just saying its never gonna happen. It looks cool, as a concept.
As for the environmentalist, I wasn't referring to gas prices, I was referring to the closing of parks, the battle to keep them open and the trending of vehicles. A small 4x4 like ours would be awesome, but I doubt this D100 will fit the bill. No one is going to want a tiny 4x4 that gets <30mpg and costs 70K.
I am a big proponent of new vehicles, if my VX got totaled tomorrow, I would find an FJ Cruiser to replace it. (I hope Justin sees that, he hates those things...lol)

Marlin
09/15/2011, 04:17 PM
That's my fault, posting with,my tablet makes typing in a coherent fashion difficult. But as efficiency goes up, gas tax will as well. It has to.

Ebenezr
09/15/2011, 05:10 PM
That Bronco concept is UGLY! It reminds me of a Scion...the number one ugliest car ever conceived. A box. As airdynamic as a brick. a cinder block. It needs some curves.:laughgray:thumbdn::bomb:

H3_VX
09/15/2011, 06:01 PM
That Bronco concept is UGLY! It reminds me of a Scion...the number one ugliest car ever conceived. A box. As airdynamic as a brick. a cinder block. It needs some curves.:laughgray:thumbdn::bomb:

x2

vt_maverick
09/16/2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/2575227/frankfurt/2575234/016_DC100_SPORT_DESIGN_05-850x425

http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/full/1999/s99040104/iz99v202.jpg

:)

RickOKC
09/16/2011, 07:43 PM

--snip....

Also, combined federal and state gas tax is about 48 cents for a gallon, compared to roughly $3+ per gallon in much of Europe. Yeah, those liberals are really winning.

The items I highlighted in red lead me to believe you are obviously trying to provoke an extension of your previous arguments. It would be really cool if you forgave /forgot and gave things a rest to spare the rest of us your desire for an eternal drama-fest.

Like the site owner has said in the past, "don't take your grievances to private messages, take them completely off this site." That would be a surefire way of cutting down on these, uh... "misunderstandings."

Osteomata
09/16/2011, 09:05 PM
Well that is surely one interpretation. Or you could see it is a very mild and gently delivered poke that made humor out of our disagreements, and that it lead to nothing more. Maybe you are looking for trouble that isn't there?

Scott Harness
09/18/2011, 07:35 AM
http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/2575227/frankfurt/2575234/016_DC100_SPORT_DESIGN_05-850x425

http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/full/1999/s99040104/iz99v202.jpg

:)

Is that "The Stig"?

JHarris1385
09/18/2011, 10:38 AM
Looks good, but like someone said it has street tires and not advertised to the off-road market yet.

Mark B
09/18/2011, 12:51 PM
That would look awsome next to my VX.
Very nice concept. Hope it makes it to production.

RickOKC
09/18/2011, 03:24 PM
Is that "The Stig"?
HA!! :laughing:

The A Dog
10/26/2011, 02:51 PM
Haha it is the Stig! Man I love the side by side image comparison. I always did think Isuzu was ahead of its time!

etlsport
10/27/2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/2575227/frankfurt/2575234/015_DC100_DESIGN_03-850x425
http://images.lemonfree.com/5J6YH28737L010159_1.jpg

anyone else see this? ;puke2;

Triathlete
10/27/2011, 05:16 PM
Whyis it that when I see that convertable rover above all that pops into my head is...

Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer...go!

VX KAT
10/27/2011, 07:36 PM
http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/2575227/frankfurt/2575234/015_DC100_DESIGN_03-850x425

anyone else see this? ;puke2;

I see Kia Soul hamster-mobile in that LR.....I can almost hear them saying "you can have this or you can have that"....:laugho:

The A Dog
10/28/2011, 06:45 AM
Wow I love these eye-opening side-by-side comparisons!!! Haha shocking how similar they look!