PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Changes

jbregar
09/29/2003, 02:57 PM
It's come time to change the fluids on my 01 FoxFire, so I'm looking for recommendations for good fluids to use.

The oil is already Mobil 1 Synthetic...what apparently needs replacing is the front and rear axle fluids, the TOD fluid, and the transmission fluid (and filter if there is one).

My brother is going to be doing the work...he has a lot of car knowledge, but he has no idea what types/weights/etc. fluid to use...so he said "bring me the stuff, I'll change them out".

Thanks!

jb.

iownvx
09/29/2003, 05:43 PM
mobil1 everything!!

mobil1 0w-30 for engine oil
mobil1 ATF for tranny, power steering, tod/transfercase
mobil1 75w-140 for front and rear axle
mobil1 grease for yoke, chasis, front wheel bearing
mobil1 spray for key lock, linkage

this should cover all temperture ranges from Africa to North Pole.

I've heard AMSoil is also very good stuff. But you can't find them easily locally but you can always order online.

VX4EJR
09/29/2003, 07:18 PM
Just a note....I believe the Mobil1 gear lubricant only comes in 75W-90. If you go to an Isuzu dealer and supply them with Mobil1, they might ask if the axle additive normally used with their own supplied fluid is needed, not sure about this one...but something you should know for sure if you're doing it yourself.

All fluid quantities are given in the Vehicross owners manual you should have for engine oil, axles, TOD and transmission...which doesn't seem to be recommended for change in the maintenance schedule except for excessive use.

MrCrowley
09/30/2003, 08:29 AM
I use Mobil 1 for engine 5w-30 for easy availability. ie. Walmart 5 quart container for $18.88 and Amsoil for everything else. I went up in mpg once changed.

jbregar
09/30/2003, 02:52 PM
How important is it that I change out the tranny filter when doing the tranny fluid? I see that the tranny filter is like a $50 part.

jb.

Tone
09/30/2003, 03:20 PM
$18 filter and gasket - do not get a cork gasket. Filter should be changed every other time IMHO - I do the fluid every 15K - flush one time to get all the fluid changed then drain and fill while doing the filter which only changes about half of the fluid. Be warned, it is a messy job and the crossmember must be removed while the tranny is supported to get the pan off.

jbregar
09/30/2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks Tone...

Where's a good source/part no. for the tranny filter for $18? Like I said, the local place wants like $50 for the kit.

Also, which would you recommend for an 01 with 26k miles that we'll assume has the original tranny fluid in it?

Thanks again!

jb.

AnalogVX
09/30/2003, 03:38 PM
I paid $68 for my trans filter, and it came with a cork gasket. Cork is bad?

Tone
09/30/2003, 03:55 PM
Cork is easier to damage and not as forgiving or durable as the fibre/composite that comes on the VX. Just did a buddies 30K this weekend and I have to go back and replace the gasket. We found them at several auto parts houses like Auto Zone. Sorry, don’t have a part number but VXes are listed in most books now or specify same year in Trooper or Rodeo.

26K - I’d flush and then do the filter too if you don’t know the history. And change to synthetic.

iownvx
09/30/2003, 07:37 PM
Mobil 1 Synthetic gear lube is available in both 75W-140 and 75w-90. Saw them in a local Kragen store and also on mobil's website.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/Product_Information/Automotive_Gear_Oils_Collection.asp

ScubaSteve
10/02/2003, 06:45 AM
Just a note about you folks using Mobil 1... That's what's in my VX now, but I plan to switch to Amsoil... friend of my dad's can get it for me for around $60/case.

Check this out for a Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil. And don't laugh at me:)
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/turbine1.htm

As for maintenance, does anyone know if there's a Chilton's or Haynes' manual for VX maintenance? I've got 15,500 miles on my VX (past due for 15k maintenance) and really don't know that much about the guts of my VX. Any help would be GRAND.

Clyde
10/02/2003, 08:40 PM
I see where a lot of people are swearing by Royal Purple gear oil for their VXs.

The thing I'm wondering about is do you have to still use the Limited Slip Differential Lubricant Additive if you use these oils?

Also, why the change to 75W-140 for both axles when the manual says 75W-90 for the front axle and 80W-140 for the rear axle? (0 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit)

I don't know all there is to know about oil, but would appreciate the schooling on this if someone doesn't mind to teach me. I need to do this maintenance to mine very soon as well. I plan on doing it all this weekend if I have the time.

Clyde
10/02/2003, 08:53 PM
Oops! I meant 80W-90 for the rear axle...not 80W-140. Guess I just had 140 on my brain. :D

SGT.BATGUANO
10/03/2003, 02:49 AM
I don't think you'll need additive with the synthetics.

Using the one multi- viscosity gear oil merely saves you the trouble of having to buy 2 different types of gear oil.

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Cork is easier to damage and not as forgiving or durable as the fibre/composite that comes on the VX. Just did a buddies 30K this weekend and I have to go back and replace the gasket. We found them at several auto parts houses like Auto Zone. Sorry, don’t have a part number but VXes are listed in most books now or specify same year in Trooper or Rodeo.

Just curious... the tranny filter that I bought at AutoZone has a cork gasket. Do you have to buy the composite filter seperately? It was the only filter they had for the Trooper/Vehicross, and it came with the cork gasket. (By the way, the filter was $31).