PDA

View Full Version : Some lifetime opportunities

Bob Barker
09/13/2011, 04:51 PM
So recently my wife got a promotion and a decent raise, and we've been talking about it for a while and agreed we could afford for me to quit my job and complete a course to be a personal trainer. This isn't my "goal career" or anything but it is something I will enjoy and with shorter work days than my old job I will be able to go back to school. The studies will be in nutrition and dietetics, with hopes of working for a school system. I see a lot of unhealthy and unactive/unathletic children and it makes me sad. I want to help kids eat right, and be active and all that good stuff. Other option will be to work in a lab researching the fountain of youth stuff!

Since I was able to quit my job already and the wife has a lot of vacation time saved, we are taking a trip to Europe for two weeks. We are going to land in London next Saturday morning. Plan is to spend some time there, I've got a couple places I really want to see, and some specific trails that I want to run. Then either fly or train to Germany and spend about a week and a half there. I've got a family member or two still alive there and want to learn about the local culture, so we will be staying in locak bed and breakfast joints and trying my best to avoid the tourist areas.

I know there have been some members here already go to Europe, any suggestions on places to see? I've got a pretty hefty map of where to go in Germany, but if there is another area of Europe that is a must see I'm all ears. I don't know if we will have enough time to get down to Rome and really enjoy it, but will try if it's a must.

Ldub
09/13/2011, 05:21 PM
Yah...

See if you can get James (Crotchrocket) to show you his Mums castle in Spain...:smilewink

Grats on the metamorphosis.

arcobarco
09/13/2011, 05:22 PM
Great news,
I would love to help but have only been to Ireland (Galway, Shannon, Dublin) and Scotland (Glasgow, and Edinburgh).
My suggestion since I went to each of these places over 1 week period is to take a look at the lay of the area you plan to visit on google maps and even print out some basic maps before going so you haved an idea where you are when you arrive. You can also see what trains run from city to city and that helps as well. It is fun to go with out planning, but is also a little chaotic and keeps you from having time to go and enjoy other things. The next time I plan on researching the areas we intend visit a little more. Check to see if there are any holidays that may give you trouble. While in Dublin the Queen visiting caused the Guinness storehouse and brewery to close early on the day that I was taking a tour :_crying: and that was only a small part of the inconvenience she threw into my vist :mado: .
You are smart to ask for input. My brother was stationed over there for 3 years but is unavailable otherwise I would ask. He'd know alot about that area and potential obsticles as well as hot spots. I'll see if I can get a message to him anyway.
Good luck on this trip of a life time.
Jerry

Bob Barker
09/13/2011, 05:49 PM
I would for sure go to a castle in Spain especially since it'd be a sorta personallized meeting. I'll PM crotchrocket to get his attention here again. I understand he's got a Land Rover now and ignores us... :laugho:

Plus it'd be nice to meet him at least, I still want to hear his accent in person so I won't have to make up my own when reading his posts!

Thanks for the tips, I started looking into maps and train routes when we decided to go. It seems most anywhere in Europe is accesable by train. Biggest issue will be time spent traveling from city to city. I hope it's not much like taking a train here, where you stop all the damn time before you arrive at your destination!

Riff Raff
09/13/2011, 06:48 PM
I see a lot of unhealthy and unactive/unathletic children and it makes me sad. I want to help kids eat right, and be active and all that good stuff.

Hmmm, it sounds like the very best way for you to introduce fat lazy video-gamer punk kids to the world of health and fitness would be for you to become a U.S. Military Recruiter!!! In a few short weeks, a military Drill Sergeant will have them in shape, along with some respect and discipline to mind their elders.

In regards to planning Europeon travel, please visit the website of www.RickSteves.com. I was staitioned in Germany (many years ago) with the U.S. Army and my favorite place I toured was Neushwastein Castle (spelling is off a bit) in Bavaria. The castle is the same one Walt Disney modeled his trademark castle after. I found it much easier to travel by bus because of the many winding roads in Europe, rather than a train. Trains are great for going between adjacent countries (in a straight line), but not for pinpoint locations of destinations where access is best achieved by motor vehicle (bus).

:bgwb:

Bob Barker
09/13/2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the tip on bus travel. We will look into that when we get there. I hear it's much cheaper to buy the tickets, wether train or bus, once you are over there.

I agree that military would be a great learning experience, but reality is majority of these fat kids won't be interested in the least in military, and from personal encounters with some of the current military, it isn't going to get everyone in good shape... I know a guy who weigh's at least 300lbs and is still active duty Army...

twalker920
09/13/2011, 07:31 PM
Bob,

I grew up in England, and definitely have some favorite places there. Of course there's all the stuff to do in London, but for the non-tourist tourist, get out in the countryside and see some of the following:

Salisbury Cathedral (which is also not far from Stonehenge, but the henge is very tourist-packed)

Cornwall (the SW tip of England) including St. Michael's Mount, Land's End (or The Lizard, which is less crowded), the Minack theatre, numerous castles

Warwick Castle

The entire city of York

The Armory in Leeds (all the weapons from England's history including the spoils of war for something like 1500 years)

Hampton Court Palace

Silverstone Raceway (or Castle Donnington if you're closer)

the city of Bath is very cool too

Lot's more...do some googling and choose.

London is more expensive than the southern countryside...the southern countryside is more expensive than the north.

Wales and Scotland are nice too, but I am not as familar...although I second Edinburgh for an amazing place to visit.

Edit to add: I have an awesome aunt and uncle on the south coast of England (google "bridport") who have plenty of room for visitors.

BigSwede
09/13/2011, 08:24 PM
In regards to planning Europeon travel, please visit the website of www.RickSteves.com. I was staitioned in Germany (many years ago) with the U.S. Army and my favorite place I toured was Neushwastein Castle (spelling is off a bit) in Bavaria. The castle is the same one Walt Disney modeled his trademark castle after. I found it much easier to travel by bus because of the many winding roads in Europe, rather than a train. Trains are great for going between adjacent countries (in a straight line), but not for pinpoint locations of destinations where access is best achieved by motor vehicle (bus).

:bgwb:
Rick Steves books are great. I was in Germany a few years ago, and I found his guidebook to be very accurate, and his philosophy of travel agrees well with mine.

The castle mentioned above (I can't spell it any better) is near Fussen, at the edge of the Alps. A beautiful town, with a gorgeous lake nearby. We rented bikes and pedaled around the Forgansee. Stopped at Cafe Maria on the lake for lunch. Biked to the area of the castles and hiked up to Maria Falls above the castle.

The Rhine was wonderful, we stayed in Bacharach, toured some old castles, had some wine. The Reisling flavored gelato was wonderful.

Rothenberg was cool, a medieval walled town. A bit of a tourist trap by day, but a lot of fun at night. Take the Night Watchman tour. See the Torture Museum.

Then of course there is Munich. We didn't scratch the surface of that wonderful city.

Regarding bus vs. train, we took the train everywhere and it worked very well for us. You can get tickets cheap at Rick Steves website.

VX KAT
09/13/2011, 09:13 PM
Bob,

I grew up in England, and definitely have some favorite places there. Of course there's all the stuff to do in London, but for the non-tourist tourist, get out in the countryside and see some of the following:

Salisbury Cathedral (which is also not far from Stonehenge, but the henge is very tourist-packed)

the city of Bath is very cool too

Spent 2 weeks in London, awesome, so historic and memorable.
I just HAD to see Stonehenge...touristy or not...I've been spellbound by it since I was a kid.....it was soooo cool! Did Bath and Salisbury Cathedral on that same bus trip...beyond words...IIRC the Cathedral was built in the 1200s....you're standing there inside this GINORMOUS cathedral, made of stone, and it's been there since BEFORE America was discovered! Same with the city of Bath....to see such history is just fantastic.

Another really cool thing we did (on the advice of a local!) was take a train to Hever Castle. It's not that touristy or a real big name....but it had a hedge maze, and a moat (IIRC) and was soooo cool to tour.

Hope you guys have a fantastic time! :thumbup:

twalker920
09/13/2011, 09:47 PM
There's a saying I heard a long time ago...in the US 100 miles is nothing and in the UK 100 years is nothing.

Salisbury Cathedral is actually the "new" cathedral. You're right it was built in the 1200's. I've been as far up the spire as you can go, many years ago before they renovated it. From there you can see the hill outside of town where the original church and settlement (called Old Sarum) used to stand. It's just an unearthed foundation now, but still impressive. I recommend seeing both to get an overwhelming sense of your own mortality ;)

Hever Castle is good too. Hampton Court also has a hedge maze though and is an easy trip to Richmond just west of London proper.

Bob Barker
09/16/2011, 07:51 AM
I also just found out that Oktoberfest starts Tomorrow in Munich!!!! How friggin awesome is that! I might forget about everything else I wanted to do and go straight to Munich for beer and piles grilled meats!!

Triathlete
09/16/2011, 09:04 AM
Rent a bike and play tour de france for a day on the alp du huez! :D

Bob Barker
09/17/2011, 08:46 AM
so... I'm supposed to be in London already... I'm an idiot and decided to take my camping bag as a last minute carry on for some GoPro parts and running shoes... there was a Kel-Tec .32 loaded inside the back compartment and I forgot to take it out. They found it at the x-ray machine and I got arrested yesterday at about 4pm. Got out this morning at 5am... The airline was nice enough to let us reschedule our outbound flights and we are going to try this again 5pm today.

Worst night I've ever spent anywhere. I'd rather hahve been sleeping on wet ground in the woods with snakes and spiders than that long night on a metal sheet with freezing a/c blowing on my face all night.

BigSwede
09/17/2011, 06:08 PM
Oooooooh...that's just such a facepalm moment. Hope the rest of the trip goes more smoothly.

Ldub
09/17/2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.chimpout.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Hope it gets better for ya...:yesgray:

Bob Barker
09/19/2011, 01:01 AM
Yep, completely serious... I felt like the biggest dumbass in the history of dumbassery... It was pretty terrible. I got out at 5am Saturday morning, took a 3 hour nap, got up and unpacked everything, checked all corners of the bags, rebooked our flights and we landed in London yesterday around 9am. Been pretty fun so far. We are hopefully heading to Sonehenge today. Got to see all of the castles Big Ben, Westminster, some WW1 and WW2 monuments, lots of other old things, and they were having a bike race through London yesterday.