PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the old VX forum?

Anita
09/29/2003, 02:30 PM
Yikes,

Is it my browser, or is club.vmag.com gone? I can't even pull up vmag.com. I'll cry if all that history is gone...

:wtfr: :wtfr: :wtfr:

:deadb:

AlaskaVX
09/29/2003, 02:56 PM
I CAN'T PULL IT UP EITHER! :(

AnalogVX
09/29/2003, 03:08 PM
I would be willing to bet they are having trouble or doing maintenance on the servers or something. Although maintenance is usually done at night. I'm sure it's OK.
It would be a shame if all that archive is gone. That's a really good source for info. As this site continues to grow, it too will have great archives.

Navigator
09/30/2003, 06:03 AM
...Can someone get a copy and load it here? Scott...?

nocturnalVX
09/30/2003, 07:50 AM
I just tried the VX2 forum and the Axiom forum... neither came up. I hope that it is just down for maint. or something...

Triathlete
09/30/2003, 08:39 AM
It was down a few weeks ago for 3-4 days then it popped up again. Probably maintanence or server problems.;wtf;

Anita
09/30/2003, 04:06 PM
It's back!

:clap:

Spike
09/30/2003, 04:52 PM
Not really... it is a replacement with an exact duplicate.. down to the very last detail...

(shrug)

Cool! I am glad its back...

Moncha
09/30/2003, 06:43 PM
It indeed is back up.. Still running kind of slow, IMO. I have begged and pleaded to get back ups on the database from Vmag.. When started .info our relationship was pretty good and the admin said that she would help us out and provide the info I needed. When it came .info came on-line, the story changed. She said that she would not be able to provide the database. I emailed her back a couple of times and have never got an answer since. I know that we could "capture" the web pages from their site but I'd have copyright issue there. Also, ther would be no integration in that method.. I'm still thinking and trying.......

WyrreJ
09/30/2003, 09:51 PM
Unless there was some stipulation in the sign-up form that people signed their copyrights over to vmag by posting, they don't own the copyrights. Even if there was such a stipulation, the chance that is binding is pretty small since no signatures were made. Although it has been a long, long time, I seem to remember the VX board migrating to vmag once upon a time. If that is correct, then I think it is reasonable to act as if postings before vmag, at vmag and here belong to the VX community at large.

I vote for a long, slow, suck off of vmag using one of the many free crawlers out there. Do it slow enough so that it has no impact on their system's usuability, and make it random enough so that it doesn't raise any eyebrows if someone is perusing the logs, just in case they are prone to getting pissy. Even if you can eventually get it in database form, having a backup in webpage form is insurance, and webpages aren't that hard to parse with perl then output whatever this software needs to import.

BlackVX
10/02/2003, 09:06 AM
Oh man, I remember the time when I joined. We were just 7 on the original BB. There was Tone, Anita and ...arrgh... Oh I remember sinned. Who else?

Dallas4u
10/02/2003, 09:27 AM
I don't think I was an "Original 7", but I was on there pretty early.

* Says I registered Dec. 2000*

Anita
10/02/2003, 09:51 AM
If you want to see who the "old guard" were, check this link. It takes you to the first forum which includes those who bought their VX's in 99... (actually for a small while before that we were on Edmunds.com).

http://forums.vmag.com/suvvehic0199/

There were many of us there... it just seems there was a handful cause a some of us cant stop talkin. I wonder what ever happened to Dennis.. he was another one who really knew the VX inside and out. And oh, those fond days with Venusfly posting his poems...

;Dr;

;pr;

BlackVX
10/02/2003, 11:01 AM
Oh my god, the link is still working.
We were such a small family:
I found my first post! I was so innocent at that time... (I don't think I have changed ;) )
Thanks for the memories Anita!

"Posted by Michael on October 06, 1999 at 10:17:06:

Good day, I’m happy to be part of this small club.
I bought my black VX a month ago.
Since I have this vehicle, I’m accomplishing with enthusiasm all the errands and all the rides for my wife.
This shows how much I like to drive the VX instead of my Corolla...

Anyway, sorry for my long comment. Here is my questions.

Does anybody know the difference of seconds in the acceleration (from 0-60) when using the “Power” button or not?

How about setting the stick on "3" instead of "D". Will it accelerate faster?

I miss driving a manual transmision though and I like to operate using the "3" and the "D" gears as a small satisfaction.

Thanks"
:mbrasd:

deermagnet
10/02/2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I started out on that board a few days before I bought mine in 3/00. That board sure was entertaining. Remember our old friend Amojava?:) I think he single handedly forced the creation of the Club VMag board. LOL. That place was a riot.:) BTW, there was talk about how to lower a VX way back in early '00. If you've never been to that board, get over there and check it out. You'll love it!:)

Mark

Anita
10/02/2003, 01:57 PM
OMG, You ask if I remember Amojava?!...;puke: All those wonderful, lyrical comments that person would make about LisaK and I. :rollr: HE (or SHE) was the reason that the forum went to the format where registration was mandatory.

Yes, those were the days... and of course, the knock-down drag out fights we had back then.

Some things never change. ;Dr;

Yefim
10/02/2003, 03:12 PM
Ahhh... that link brought some memories... great to see how our used-to-be-so-small community grew from that old board. I used "ykamenet" nick back then. Anyone noticed that it has a "Y2K" problem :) ? Year 2000 shows up as "100" there