PDA

View Full Version : It's Totaled. Now What?

TexVeX
09/12/2011, 11:48 AM
Where do I begin. Surely y'all can help me trough this even though I haven't been posting in forever. I'm devastated. And I dunno what to do.

I'm actually rather poor and doubt I can even get another car, much less a beloved VX. If some higher power hadnt kept me alive through that rollover, I swear I'd just wanna give up. Please everyone, help me figure out how to get some kind of profit from whats left. Right now I have to go write and moan in pain from my wounds. At least I am ok though.

twalker920
09/12/2011, 12:00 PM
First, are you ok? Were you in it when it was wrecked?

Then, assuming it was insured, get the check, salvage what you can from it, and get another. As much as it meant to you, it's just a thing. Making another one "yours" except different could be a lot of fun. And you're in the right place to find another one.

TexVeX
09/12/2011, 12:23 PM
I'm ok, just wounded. Scrapes and bruises and very very sore. Head bump and a severe knee scrape that is giving me pains like 3rd degree burns - I freakin' swear!!!

I was too poor to have full coverage insurance. :(

How do I go about the salvaging? I always had the men or mechanics take care of the bigger stuff with the repairs and all. I'm excellent at a lot of things, but no kidding, I need a guide for dummies on this issue. Anyone in Dallas or close to Sherman who can help out or wants to help out for first choice of parts or something? I'm considering all options.

JoFotoz
09/12/2011, 12:38 PM
Great to hear you are basically OK..thats the good news.

I would suggest you take pics and make an inventory of whats damaged and whats still in good shape.
Post it all here, and see if there is anyone interested in taking it "as is " as a spares/parts car.

( there are always people looking for replacement engines..)

I assume engine/tranny etc are still servicable...thats worth some bucks.
Interior?..seats/dash/steering wheel etc...
If body panels and cladding survived, they are valuable too...as is glass.

Breaking it down yourself will give you the best $$ return...

...or sell as is for what you can get.

As a wild thought...if the roll over wasnt too bad...frame ok etc..
......make a topless VX.

jo

TexVeX
09/12/2011, 12:59 PM
Just got report from mechanic - Right hand side frame bent, Right front spindle bent/ right front C/V axle/boot bad. Transmission lines leaking.

I got pics. I will try and get them up soon.
Just I haven't the heart right now to crop and resize and load them.

H3_VX
09/12/2011, 01:02 PM
very sorry, but glad you made it out ok.

twalker920
09/12/2011, 01:04 PM
Glad you are basically ok.

I agree, folks here will want some or all of it. Sorry I am too far to help personally. Take some pics if you can and start there. And get something for your pain. Pain clouds everything, I know. Baby steps.

Ldub
09/12/2011, 03:15 PM
Glad you survived the wreck...so sorry about your truck...:(

Where's Gussie when you need him...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21173

TexVeX
09/12/2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks y'all. I'm so sore now i can't think. I have sore muscles that I had forgotten I'd had since Basic Training 20 years ago. heheh. And even my lungs are sore. Maybe tomorrow I'll show the pics.

Ebenezr
09/12/2011, 07:44 PM
Buy another one. There are 2 for sale near. and one is a Foxfire!!!

JoFotoz
09/12/2011, 09:28 PM
Perhaps ya missed this bit...:confused:

Buy another one. There are 2 for sale near. and one is a Foxfire!!!

""I'm actually rather poor and doubt I can even get another car, much less a beloved VX.""

jo

VX KAT
09/12/2011, 10:06 PM
Just got report from mechanic - Right hand side frame bent, Right front spindle bent/ right front C/V axle/boot bad. Transmission lines leaking.

I got pics. I will try and get them up soon.
Just I haven't the heart right now to crop and resize and load them.

Sorry to hear all this, but glad you're going to be ok.
If it helps any and you need it down the road, I've got a right front spindle thing from a Trooper that I think fits...I got it just for the ABS sensor, but the salvage yard sent me a bunch of heavy metal stuff, spindle, rotor, tone ring. It's yours for the asking. Hang in there buddy! :thumbup:

Gussie2000
09/12/2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks y'all. I'm so sore now i can't think. I have sore muscles that I had forgotten I'd had since Basic Training 20 years ago. heheh. And even my lungs are sore. Maybe tomorrow I'll show the pics.

Sorry you lost your horse TexVex :(

Few months ago a lady on her murano just touch my horse causing a fender bender and man...I was PI...:mad: and sad :( looking at the damage,nothing serious,but had to wait like three weeks for insurance to have the claim processed.

Right now the priority is taking care of your self,and because you have no business to do with insurance BS you have enough time to tear apart whatever you can from the VX and put together some $$$ for down payment on another VX if your financial conditions so allows in the near future.

Hope you recover soon :yesgray:

Etfren
09/13/2011, 12:09 AM
Glad to hear you are alright, very sorry to hear you rolled your baby though.

Sounds like with the damage and your insurance situation, there is no way its getting back on the road. Parting it yourself will yield some pretty good money if your patient though. I've been parting one that was wrecked and I've sold about $1500 worth from it, and I had a lot less parts to start with than you do. Most of the truck (interior and body panels) came apart with a 10 and 12mm ratchets and some screw drivers so you don't have to be super mechanically inclined to strip one out.

cotterg
09/13/2011, 01:15 AM
I'm in Arlington and need a few items if you do decide to sell anything off it. Spare tire cover. Some other plastic trim bac there. Sill plates. Let me know.

Ebenezr
09/13/2011, 04:11 AM
Perhaps ya missed this bit...:confused:

""I'm actually rather poor and doubt I can even get another car, much less a beloved VX.""

jo

guess I need to put my readin glasses on....

samneil2000
09/13/2011, 06:52 AM
I'm sure some of you Dallas area VXers can go lend a hand, right?

TexVeX
09/13/2011, 06:58 AM
I'f I'm forced to drive any other car in the future, my heart will never be in it. I never loved a car like this one. I cried for hours and hours last night. I haven't got the amount of support I need to get though this. I live with the BF on his parents two acres with them in house next door. they wont let me bring the car here. That REALLY hurts my feelings. I might not be capable of parting it out myself. BF is legally blind, I have Lupus. What a motley crew.

I'm gonna work on the pics now and be back to post them if I can get them done soonish. But bring on the support and the misery sharing. Normally I despise mushy-ness, but right now, perhaps I need it. I dunno how I'm gonna be able to handle this.

TexVeX
09/13/2011, 06:59 AM
I'm sure some of you Dallas area VXers can go lend a hand, right?

Yes, Please. I will repay the favor in whatever way I am capable of. Those who know who the Dallas VXers are please bring this to their attention, I havent participated in the forums in a couple of years and dunno who they are.

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 02:54 AM
Pics

First photo IS NOT ME.
That is BF's son.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/front-vx-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/right-vx-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/l-vx-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/r-vx-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/door-close-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/pass-side-lg.jpg

Before I show the inside photos,
I just have to say,
The inside and the panels and all were in great condition before the wreck and are only dirty now from skidding on the side with the window broken during the crash. There was an ice chest in the back too and that water splashed on the panels and socked up the dust also. Because you'd be hard pressed to find a mud puddle in Texas right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/l-side-panel-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/back-seat.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/r-seat-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/l-seat-inside-lg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/l-door-inside-lg.jpg

AND...
The weirdest thing...
That little circle by the old oil change sticker is a quarter.
There was glass and change everywhere in the car. I even had glass in pockets and in my purse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/quarter.jpg

Ebenezr
09/14/2011, 03:59 AM
The -ouch -cladding faired pretty well.

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 05:12 AM
The front cladding is dented and scraped kind of bad. I can get better picks next time i go to where it is.

samneil2000
09/14/2011, 06:17 AM
Glad you made it through that carnage safely!

twalker920
09/14/2011, 06:22 AM
I have to say that for a rollover the passenger cabin is amazingly intact. Pretty sure your VX gave up its ghost to save your life. The bent frame is problematic, otherwise I'd say it was all fixable, but there are a lot more people here who know a lot more about the VX than I do. Maybe they have a different opinion.

If you do decide to part it out, I would be interested in a few items (rear headrests for one), but maybe you want to give it a few days first.

VX KAT
09/14/2011, 07:11 AM
Man TexVex there's a TON of items that are sellable.....lots of money could be recovered.
What about "hiring" your mechanic or hiring somebody to remove parts for a fee? Have them remove as many as they can in first meeting, sell those right away.

From my experience and posts I've read here, the most "Sellable" stuff is:

Front Seats
Cladding pieces that aren't torn up
Headlights
Inside rear door plastic cover with 4 red plastic knobs
2 front fangs
Hood insert (it looks OK)
All plastic lenses (turn signals, side marker lights etc)
Front round white marker lights
Rear brake light units
All Door handle parts both inside and outside, and the mechanism inside the door
Rubber gaskets that go around the door glass and that attach to the body too
Door panels
Rear hatch door (if not twisted) other wise sell cladding pieces
Rear cargo area cubby door covers (that house jack and the other stuff)
Steering Wheel

Just this stuff above would be at least $600+ and most of it you'd be able to remove yourself.

Plus there's a bunch of stuff in the engine compartment that can be removed and sold too!

Shipping the big stuff would be a bit of work, but I can help you through that as I've shipped a ton of VX parts and know how to do it and how to do it for the least amount. Dang used to live in Plano, coulda come up there and had a VX stripping party! Oh, um, wait, that didn't sound right....:goof:

Hang in there, there's lots of great folks here that can help you in various ways! :thumbup:

Scott Larson
09/14/2011, 07:20 AM
Sorry for your misfortune there TexVex. Hang in there, better days are coming. In the depths of darkness a little prayer goes a long way, don't despair. I don't think prayer will save your beloved VX though. Her best bet is to live on in the life she can give to other unfortunate VXs. In that roll (no pun intended) she can make you some money too while providing much-needed parts to other ailing VehiCrosses. Best of luck, there will be another VX in your future!:yesy:

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks everyone. Your words help me for sure.
Why'd ya leave good ole Plano, Kat? LOL. ;)

Yeah, my next question was going to be about how much $$ I can expect for the parts and such.

SEND GOOD THOUGHTS AND LUCK WISHES TOO, y'all...
I might have a miracle happen if we rally the positive vibes. Someone may help us get one in OKC that runs if its decent enough. Start praying now. I need a miracle. heheh

VX KAT
09/14/2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Your words help me for sure.
Why'd ya leave good ole Plano, Kat? LOL. ;)

Yeah, my next question was going to be about how much $$ I can expect for the parts and such.

SEND GOOD THOUGHTS AND LUCK WISHES TOO, y'all...
I might have a miracle happen if we rally the positive vibes. Someone may help us get one in OKC that runs if its decent enough. Start praying now. I need a miracle. heheh

Ummmm, a record 70 days over 100 degrees had sumpin' ta do wit it! :freek: (read that in the news this morning)
My hubby and I absolutely love :heart: Texas, all things Texas....but the heat drove us out.

There's a ton of additional money in the parts on the truck, beyond what I listed. You said engine is fine, I think there's 2 people looking for a good engine right now.

The other idea that's REALLY DOABLE....advertise and sell the truck here on the forum as a "parts truck".......then you don't have to pull any parts.
We've seen those selling for around $1,500 - $3,000 recently with a blown engine, but you've got a good engine!

Let me know if I can help.

circmand
09/14/2011, 11:18 AM
Ummmm, a record 70 days over 100 degrees had sumpin' ta do wit it! :freek: (read that in the news this morning)
My hubby and I absolutely love :heart: Texas, all things Texas....but the heat drove us out.

500 - $3,000 recently with a blown engine, but you've got a good engine!

Let me know if I can help.

Yeah I think you could clear $5000 or more parting it out.

And Kat the heat was too bad in Texas so you move to AZ? I lived in Houston TX and Bullhead City AZ (as you know) I prefer TX weather. 130 degrees in the middle of the Mohave was too much for me

Ebenezr
09/14/2011, 11:22 AM
I'll be the first vulture to circle...um maybe. I might need a PCM. Compression check tommorrow in AM. If it fails I will be crying with you. :(

VX KAT
09/14/2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah I think you could clear $5000 or more parting it out.

And Kat the heat was too bad in Texas so you move to AZ? I lived in Houston TX and Bullhead City AZ (as you know) I prefer TX weather. 130 degrees in the middle of the Mohave was too much for me

I know I know, everybody says that....but we're 90 miles North of Phoenix, up in the mountains at about 5000 feet...20 degrees cooler than PHX and way lower humidity than TX. But you win the prize having lived in BHC...that place is truly a blast furnace on earth! Bet you're glad you moved away before summer!

samneil2000
09/14/2011, 11:28 AM
130 degrees in the middle of the Mohave was too much for me

But it's a ddddrrrryyyyyyyy heat, right? :bgwb:

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to OT, glad to hear (see) that your spirits are starting to rise. Getting over the initial shock is the hard part. Now find a way to move forward. :yesy:

Ebenezr
09/14/2011, 11:37 AM
But it's a ddddrrrryyyyyyyy heat, right? :bgwb:

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to OT, glad to hear (see) that your spirits are starting to rise. Getting over the initial shock is the hard part. Now find a way to move forward. :yesy:

That's his problem he has no way to move forward....or backward for that matter. :(

Ebenezr
09/14/2011, 11:39 AM
Awe heck..just dust it off and put it in gear and go!! so what if it has a few scratches.

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah, The heat here drives me mad. I always joke that I am moving to Montana.

Still awaiting news of what may happen on the possible miracle.
Nervous and scared of disappointment.

atilla_the_fun
09/14/2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, The heat here drives me mad. I always joke that I am moving to Montana.

Still awaiting news of what may happen on the possible miracle.
Nervous and scared of disappointment.

Can we ask what happened in the accident? It doesn't really look like a roll-over, as there is little roof damage?

On top of the items that were previously mentioned, you can also salvage:
The center arm rest - 30-50
The fuel door - 40-60
The spoiler - 80-100
The front fangs - 60-90
Front grille -60-100
The door mounted tweeters - 40-50
The weather stripping from the doors 20-30
The 16" wheels will have a $20 scrap value each.
The driver's side fender -100-150
the door cladding -50-70
The steering wheel -40-70
The dashboard (without front bezel) -80-100
Dasboard bezel -30-50
Rear sear -50-100

Picking everything apart will probably net you around 800-1000$ if you actively try to sell some of this stuff.
The rest would go for scrap for around 600$

Look, if she runs and drives then it may be in your best interest to get a door and fender, refinish the cladding with sand paper and gatorback, repair the "transmission lines" and replace the entire front axle. Also, get some glass and side mirrors. Have a shop pull the frame taught and live with the salvage title.

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 01:15 PM
I think it flipped from one side to the other, with the roof clearing the ground completely. Like I bounced. I missed a deep culvert by nothing, Scraping the concrete corner of it and wound up bucked up against a big oak tree but thankfully not wrapped around it nor down in that culvert. I can't make a whole lot of sense out of it myself, as I was rolling with it, though in the seat belt, ya know, and it happened so fast. It landed on the drivers side with the broken window on the passenger side. I climbed out and walked home. A friend with a jimmy rolled it upright and drove it home very carefully maybe a mile.

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 05:56 PM
Back to tears and depression. Someone bought that longshot. I haven't got a prayer.

Scott Larson
09/14/2011, 08:27 PM
So, you sold it? I take that as a bad thing...sorry for your loss. Prayer is what you do have!

TexVeX
09/14/2011, 08:31 PM
NO, The other VX I thought I could never get... I almost got. Someone almost helped us get one, but it was sold before we could get there. Now I am back to being a total pessimist and thinking I will never get another.

How much should it cost to straighten the frame?

Scott Larson
09/14/2011, 08:42 PM
Don't go there Tex, you'll spend more to make a driver out of a parts truck then it's worth, sorry. Remember that old addage about a silk purse from a sows ear? Well, it's true. There will be another VX in your life, just give it time. You already found another that got you thinkin', so don't give up so easily. Hell, some folks on this forum have waited years to find their perfect VX, so don't despair. When you find the right one, you'll know...

VXobsession
09/14/2011, 10:50 PM
Let me know if you're interested in selling the whole thing.......I'm in the market.

Ebenezr
09/15/2011, 05:25 AM
So, you sold it? I take that as a bad thing...sorry for your loss. Prayer is what you do have!

X2 :yeso:

TexVeX
09/15/2011, 07:03 AM
Let me know if you're interested in selling the whole thing.......I'm in the market. How much would you pay for it?

On the frame straightening I was going by what I read a couple others say that it looks fixable otherwise and that they might would go that route.

As for this one we looked at. We had to ask for a long-shot loan from a friend. He likely wont want to wait around for us to find another for that. It was that one or nothing for the loan from him I am sure.

I live on under 700 $$ a month. Getting another would be a miracle.

samneil2000
09/15/2011, 08:20 AM
Maybe get the frame straightened and an alignment and drive it for a while?

TexVeX
09/15/2011, 09:10 AM
Maybe get the frame straightened and an alignment and drive it for a while?

We are considering it. Can't find out online what it ought to cost though in order to make sure we get the right deal on that.

My driver door won't meet at the top when it shuts. Window doesn't fit right. Door pops extremely loudly when opened and closed. Does that all have to do with the frame or is it an issue with the door? Is the door bent probably? I wish a VX knowledgeable guru who lived within an hour or so was willing to come take a look in person.

I dunno. No matter how hopeless I SAY I feel, I always have hidden hope. I just have a problem showing it. Always been like that. But I do apologize if I bug anyone by my pessimistic attitude. I am working on improving that, just can't guarantee anything.

My brain is still somewhat scrambled with the stress. I can't keep up with what I wanna say sometimes or what I wanna ask. I will try to sort that out better too.

OOH, I remembered something. How much do whole complete doors cost. And how do I find them? I searched the site and couldn't make sense of finding my answers in the mess of threads. I still break down over all this quite often.

Ebenezr
09/15/2011, 11:07 AM
If you go to the used car part finders and do a search for what you want you will find available parts at Junkyards around the U.S. KAT also has lists that she posts with a lot of the yards that are known to have VX bones. she'll probably see this and post them for you but you could private message her.

VX KAT
09/15/2011, 11:28 AM
Here's the thread with a link to a spreadsheet I created that lists about 40+ salvage yards around the country that have a VX in their yard. It includes the STATE so you can figure out which ones are closer to you.

~ You have to open the document,
~ select a junkyard
~ call them and ask if they have the specific part you're after
~ if you want the part, offer a little less than they're asking
~ also, sometimes they'll include shipping or discount the shipping.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20420&highlight=60+junkyards

THIS MIGHT BE EASIER FOR YOU:
Here's a link to a good search function for salvage yard parts.
http://www.mypartshop.com/default.aspx
~ You just enter the year, model (remember for almost all VX parts, all 3 years are the same)
~ Select the part from their big drop down menu
~ Enter your postal code (they require it so they can tell you how many miles away the part is)
~ click "search" button at bottom
~ on next screen, click "ALL" box, if it asks

I selected for part "door assembly, fr".....and it searched and came up with 40 matches.

~ **Remember I selected "ALL" which means it's searching for BOTH right and left door.
~ So read through the matches, see if any sound good to you
~ Some list prices, some say you have to call them
~ The column titled "dist" - means distance, and it's how many miles the yard is from your zip code you entered.
~ If you hover your mouse over the far right column for the salvage yard name, it will pop up their address and STATE so you can figure out where they are.
~ If you click on the Column title (like dist), it will sort the 40 matches in ascending order.
~ you should then CALL the yard and ask questions and price

and for reference, a DOOR is about $500, before any shipping costs.

mantis465
09/15/2011, 03:00 PM
i don't think you will be able to get any kind of quote on-line for that. As it is vehicle and case specific. all depends on how bad it is.
i will say for a role over it looks pretty good.... and that is were the good news from me stops. i would not get my hopes up on fixing it, in my opinion u would spend way more than it is worth to fix. to fix it properly will be thousands of dollars, as almost every panel is damged... and then on top of that frame is bent, mirrors are broken, and suspension is most likely going to need parts, might need new tires as that one is flat (may have just pushed beed off). and after you have invested well more than what you could have replaced it for it will never be the same.... i think she is dead...
but why don't you tow it to local body shop and get a quote, quotes are free and all.
i am not saying dont fix it do what ever feels right to you, i just think fixing it would be a mistake. i crashed one of my cars a few years ago and it took me till know to finally come to terms with the fact that it was never going to be worth fixing, got out the plasma cutter and put her to rest

best of luck with what ever u choose though

JoFotoz
09/15/2011, 03:14 PM
x2..Gotta agree.

....in my opinion u would spend way more than it is worth to fix. to fix it properly will be thousands of dollars, as almost every panel is damged... and then on top of that frame is bent, mirrors are broken, and suspension is most likely going to need parts, might need new tires as that one is flat (may have just pushed beed off). and after you have invested well more than what you could have replaced it for it will never be the same.... i think she is dead...
best of luck with what ever u choose though

Sad as it may be....
....selling her 'as is' ..as a parts car (if you cant strip it down yourself)
will probably be your best option.

IIWY...I'd put it out on this thread for sale...and see what offers you get.
There is still good value in her engine wise ...and lots of other parts.

That will give you an idea of where you stand RIGHT NOW....
...and should give you enough for a deposit on another one.

I hate to see a VX die...
...BUT...Fixing what you have will cost LOTS :(

Best Of Luck

Jo

TexVeX
09/15/2011, 08:16 PM
I'd prefer to get another. But we are in need of miracles for that to happen, as I mentioned. See... My son bailing out on college gave us bad credit for life practically. And parents on both sides (mine and BF's) have the money to just give but won't because one or both is too self serving to even loan it. Put it this way, My mom is the only one who'd help that much but she isn't in control of the money. BF's parents only would if it was for him and not me. The one friend would have loaned the money for the VX in OKC, but that was apparently the only chance with him and that one is sold. I can't figure out how we can get another at the prices they sell for. But I do keep hoping despite my lack of hope, if that makes sense. :_huh:

BF seems to think we can get lots of the body work done cheap and our big expenses would be doors if needed and of course the frame work. I'd like to hear all the opinions I can. Even those of you, or especially those, who oppose each other on the cost issue of fixing this one. Because I am sadly very afraid that it will be my only option to still have a VX, since it won't require getting a Big Arse loan from anyone.

And Thanks Bunches everyone for all the help so far.
Sorry I am so lost and :_confused . But I guess that is common with a loss like this.

mantis465
09/15/2011, 09:28 PM
i am no body man so i could be wrong but i have to say i am confused why u keep saying that u can not afford to replace it but u feel u can afford to fix it? i would say to make is drivable is going to take alot, let alone make it look like it used to. these number are complete guess but i would have to guess to make it drive able is going to cost at least $4000 by the time you fix frame, door, mirrors, suspension, tires, and anything else u run into and trust me there will be things u run into. to make it look like it used to i am guessing it is going to be closer to $10,000. i am speaking from experience, when i say it will never be the same.

or you could by a new one could probably find a new one for around $6,000 or so that is not perfect but not to bad, and has probably never been up side down :yesgray: and you can sell the parts off this one and i would guess with you sell all parts motor, interior...etc you should be able to get $3000 easily, might take a while but if you part it out it could pay for a good portion of the new one. some parts you will need help to take out but i think you would be surprised how easily some of it comes apart

fixing it to me just makes no sense at all.

again these prices are guesses but i promise you fixing will not be as cheap and simple as you think

best of luck with what ever route you choose

Exclamation
09/15/2011, 11:19 PM
I completely agree with Mantis, fixing is almost guaranteed to cost more than selling this one as a parts truck/parting it out and buying a new one.

Etfren
09/15/2011, 11:30 PM
Yup, since it sounds like you don't have the means to part it yourself, selling it as a whole parts truck is probably best and you could get $2000 atleast since it still has a good drivetrain. Or take the time to part it and get $2-4K out of it and buy a cheapo car to get you by for a while 'till you can save up and find another one.

TexVeX
09/16/2011, 07:06 AM
The reason I keep saying we can come up with the money to piece it back together is because we would have to take our time and do it as we had small amounts of cash to pay for each portion of work. Whereas we'd have to come up with about 6000 to get a new one because so few places will finance that much and we can't get a cheap loan. I don't wanna have to put it back together again. My heart tells me that is wrong, Will never work, And WILL, as you all say, cost more. But if it turns into the only way I can have one, We may try it.

I want a new one so bad though.
Just can't see how it can be done under my circumstances.
I really felt like the OKC one was meant for me. But we could not act fast enough.
I dunno. Gosh, I feel losses so deep. I dunno how I am getting through each day.

TexVeX
09/17/2011, 09:45 AM
You all have convinced me that parting it out myself is best. I just don't know where to begin. Again, stress rules me too powerfully. Is not anyone near here willing to help?

BF is not convinced though. The more folks say it can't be fixed the more determined he seems to be to prove that it can and thinks it can be done for less than we can buy another. So on account of his pressure, I'm going lower in spirits than I have been since it happened. Every day seems harder than the one before. I will email my text number to anyone who thinks they wanna try to talk me through this. Its supposed to just be an object, but I feel like I lost a person.

atilla_the_fun
09/17/2011, 10:27 AM
No offense, but you need to realize that its not a person. If you know the pain of losing some one, you'll know that the two really don't compare. It was a car. If you can't find another one because you can't afford it, then look for something that you can afford. I know you want help from people here, but everyone has lives that they are living too, so be patient.

TexVeX
09/17/2011, 10:40 AM
I understand that. And I have lost a person before. I dunno why I'm feeling this bad on it. I just am and can't shake it.

Scott Larson
09/17/2011, 10:48 AM
Nothing more to say...

TexVeX
09/17/2011, 01:02 PM
I think I got it now. Its all bringing up old wounds. I need a lot of time... Cuz they say time heals it. Then it will all be better. Doesn't make it easier now. But there is a pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks atilla. I think it was what you said. I still feel the way I do, but I know why now, and that helps. Perhaps it will begin to get better now. Gosh I hope so.

pbkid
09/17/2011, 10:07 PM
Its great news that you are in good (enough) health, and I would stay happy about that if I were you. Thats really the important thing. If you were really badly injured that could cost a lot more than a car and last a lot longer.

The car can be replaced in time. Honestly? My opinion is to get what money you can out of it, and buy a cheap daily driver (like an old civic or corolla), that you can drive for the next year or so, with only doing oil changes. Then save up some money while you have the cheap car, to get another VX.

H3_VX
09/18/2011, 05:41 AM
I'm with you on the being upset part. If I lost either of my cars I'd be a wreck, especially seeing as how both cars I own are no longer produced. Hang in there. You will make it through this and you will get another dream car, whether it be another VX or something else. I agree with one previous poster. Try to sell it complete and see what happens. I'm sure there is still some value in it. The only thing that would scare me away from fixing it up is frame damage.

TexVeX
09/18/2011, 07:21 AM
Today is the first day I have felt even remotely better. The pinprick of light is getting bigger?

H3_VX
09/18/2011, 10:16 AM
How much would you pay for it?

On the frame straightening I was going by what I read a couple others say that it looks fixable otherwise and that they might would go that route.

As for this one we looked at. We had to ask for a long-shot loan from a friend. He likely wont want to wait around for us to find another for that. It was that one or nothing for the loan from him I am sure.

I live on under 700 $$ a month. Getting another would be a miracle.

I'd be asking for a raise from my boss. What do you do for work, if you don't mind me asking?

TexVeX
09/18/2011, 12:10 PM
I am disabled and on SSI. Its rough sometimes. But I get by. Till stuff happens. :nonegray:

I used to work at the local college years back and work hard. I was also in the military but after a couple years I took an "out" that left me no benefits.

H3_VX
09/18/2011, 12:21 PM
I am disabled and on SSI. Its rough sometimes. But I get by. Till stuff happens. :nonegray:

I used to work at the local college years back and work hard. I was also in the military but after a couple years I took an "out" that left me no benefits.

well, i wish you good luck.

do you know how to use ebay? :yesgray:

TexVeX
09/18/2011, 12:32 PM
Yep. I'm looking on there to see what comes up each day. Looking at a couple in TX too. Thanks for the luck wishes hope they help me. I need 'em.

tom4bren
09/19/2011, 06:31 AM
Tex,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. When I parked mine on top of a van last year, I was a real basket case till it was finally determined that it would not be totalled.

I wish I could add more to what has already been said to help you feel better about your situation, but I learned long ago that I don't have the answer to most of what life throws our way.

All I can say is that I'll be praying for you ... your VX ... & your family situation.

Tom

VXjunky
09/19/2011, 07:14 AM
not to sound callous...but, i cant believe you could afford it before the wreck on less than $700 a month

TexVeX
09/19/2011, 09:18 AM
not to sound callous...but, i cant believe you could afford it before the wreck on less than $700 a month

My mom was in really good financial shape a few years ago when we got it.
It was a birthday gift. Best birthday gift ever.
She payed cash for it.

Etfren
09/19/2011, 12:37 PM
I think he was talking more about the bad mileage and insurance compared to someone a little more economical like an old Honda or whatever.

TexVeX
09/19/2011, 12:46 PM
OH. I see. Well, I didn't need to do too much driving and got low insurance rates by sharing insurance and also by not getting full coverage and stuff. I do admit it was hard though to pay for gas and I sometimes wound up not getting to drive for half of the month.

VXjunky
09/19/2011, 07:17 PM
not to mention upkeep....for example...here in california....a State approved new Catalytic Converter...is 1300 bucks before install...ect$$$$ ect$$$$ ect$$$$

Ldub
09/19/2011, 08:46 PM
here in california....a State approved new Catalytic Converter...is 1300 bucks before install...ect$$$$ ect$$$$ ect$$$$

Sorry for a little T-J...:mbrasd:.:slap:

But that's the kind of thing that makes -30 deg F days, a LOT more bearable...:yesgray:

Tex...I'm REAL glad to see y'all "pick'n yer feathers up out tha dust"...:yes:

Hang in there, there's another VX in your future, but...

As TP sez...

The way-yay-ting iz tha hardist part...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/TP.jpg

TexVeX
09/20/2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah thanks, Ldub and everyone. I'm so much better now. I dunno how. Gosh the other day it seemed like I never would be. I'm kinda weird though about not foreseeing how much the future can bring betterness. I will still be bummed every time I don't get a ride. But perhaps things will improve now that my spirits have been lifted from the dirt.

We don't have to get that catalytic converter thing here. And I guess I have been lucky till the wreck too, VXjunky. But I do have my BF's income for back up. (Amd mom's) They do seem to give blind folks a bit more disability income than for my condition. Dunno how it all works. Course his is SS plus disability mine is SSI only. Mostly we keep our incomes separate since we aint married, but he's been a good guy a lot and backed me up when I was in need. (We have been together 13 years and lived together bout half that.) He even got my VX tuned up for me in January so I should maybe even love him even more, huh? lol. See how I'm talkin'... I AM better, I can tell. Its gonna be ok someday. And I am glad I can feel that now.

I thank everyone SO VERY MUCH for all the supportive words during my down time. Gosh it was hard. Still is some, but I can handle it now. I should have hung out here more often so you all could know what an awesome person I am when not in a situation like this. LOL.

I'm gonna look for a part time job that I can do with my issues and that should help some too. I'm gonna sell a lot of THINGS that I don't need as much as I used to think I did. And my Mom wants to give me money that she can now, because she is afraid her current husband has made it so only his kids get an inheritance. I love my mom and owe her dearly. Dontcha think? :) I mean a VX for my birthday that year... How freakin' awesome is that?! I never loved a car like a VX and dont think I ever will. But somehow someway I'm gonna make it alright but not right now, I know we're all wondering how. (Just a little edit from the song that was from) :D

I'm better. :dance:
Isn't that awesome?

VXjunky
09/20/2011, 10:06 AM
"Last edited by TexVeX : Today at 09:58 AM. Reason: Shiner Bock ".......good thing ya didnt crash a "Hot Rod Lincoln"

TexVeX
09/20/2011, 10:19 AM
I wish I was sober enough to "get" that joke. ;)

BTW feeling good enough to drink is a good sign tho.

Scott Larson
09/20/2011, 01:18 PM
As opposed to feeling bad enough to need a drink...:(

Ldub
09/20/2011, 03:36 PM
As opposed to feeling bad enough to need a drink...:(

I feel that bad most every day around 5-ish...:drool:

tom4bren
09/21/2011, 05:59 AM
It's 5:00 somewhere.

H3_VX
09/21/2011, 07:55 AM
Yep. I'm looking on there to see what comes up each day. Looking at a couple in TX too. Thanks for the luck wishes hope they help me. I need 'em.

I meant to sell off some of the parts. But there usually is a few VX's on Ebay. I would just try to shy away from private sellers on Ebay. JMO.

TexVeX
10/08/2011, 01:58 PM
I'm still up and down over all that has happened. Overall very thankful to be alive, but in trying times for a few minutes I wonder if that was the best thing for everyone else. lol. ;)

I am hoping now though at least, and searching all sorts of options still. I wish I could have sorted it out sooner, but half the time my brain is pretty scrambled from the stress. Not nearly as tough as I should be on this. But am trying.

BF wants me to try and get a ball park figure from you all about what my VX could be worth right now as is, And if anyone on the forums might want to buy it for whatever reason --- attempt to fix, or to part it out. Though we still may end up doing the parting out if we can. Going is slow because of me and our situation too I guess. Hopefully soon we will make some decisions.

If I were to put it in a listing here for best offer how should I go about that and would I be obligated to sell if I felt I could not get enough for it?

Thanks again everyone for the support of late and for being patient with me. I can say that this is one of the more understanding forums I have ever belonged to. :o

H3_VX
10/08/2011, 02:55 PM
I'm still up and down over all that has happened. Overall very thankful to be alive, but in trying times for a few minutes I wonder if that was the best thing for everyone else. lol. ;)

I am hoping now though at least, and searching all sorts of options still. I wish I could have sorted it out sooner, but half the time my brain is pretty scrambled from the stress. Not nearly as tough as I should be on this. But am trying.

BF wants me to try and get a ball park figure from you all about what my VX could be worth right now as is, And if anyone on the forums might want to buy it for whatever reason --- attempt to fix, or to part it out. Though we still may end up doing the parting out if we can. Going is slow because of me and our situation too I guess. Hopefully soon we will make some decisions.

If I were to put it in a listing here for best offer how should I go about that and would I be obligated to sell if I felt I could not get enough for it?

Thanks again everyone for the support of late and for being patient with me. I can say that this is one of the more understanding forums I have ever belonged to. :o

Do you have any pics of it posted anywhere? That would help your cause.

TexVeX
10/08/2011, 03:28 PM
Page two of this thread has some pics of it wrecked. I also have a few more if anyone needs to see close ups of a few of the dents and junk.

I have a random question I am going to ask here and wherever else I can find that's appropriate to place it:
How hard/expensive is it to add AC to a car that comes without it?

H3_VX
10/08/2011, 05:07 PM
Page two of this thread has some pics of it wrecked. I also have a few more if anyone needs to see close ups of a few of the dents and junk.

I have a random question I am going to ask here and wherever else I can find that's appropriate to place it:
How hard/expensive is it to add AC to a car that comes without it?

wow, those look really bad. glad you made it out ok. sad that another vx has been totaled.

TexVeX
10/08/2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks. Yeah, sad.

vt_maverick
10/08/2011, 07:38 PM
Maybe we could just cut our VX's at the A-pillar and sew them together? My interior and everything from the doors back looks pretty good, front is now a face only a mother could love though. :(

Hang tough Tex, we'll get through it. :)

TexVeX
10/08/2011, 08:06 PM
Do you want to buy mine? My front part I think is fixable but the frame is bent and doors wont fit right. Especially the right one.

Check my thread in Chit chat about AC.
It has a link to a car I am looking at to get for now till my VX dream can be re-fulfilled.
Funky looking little thing it will be and not as powerful as a VX but When I mod it up like the ones on my facebook album maybe it will be cool.

Riff Raff
10/08/2011, 08:13 PM
Ah ha, now I understand. Your plan is to get rid of your wrecked VX and get a Suzuki X-90 as your next vehicle (hopefully an X-90 that has factory A.C. which was an option).

:bgwb:

vt_maverick
10/08/2011, 08:30 PM
Take a look at the Sentra in my crash thread... that has me seriously re-evaluating the safety of owning something as small as an X-90 (and I was a big fan before).

TexVeX
10/08/2011, 08:48 PM
Oh I did. and WOW!
I think an X-90 might get flattened by large vehicles. I think I will warn all passengers with pics like yours before they ride with me if I do go through with getting that vehicle. I can decide to take a risk I shouldn't but I don't want my passengers doing it without knowing the risk. And I wont let kids into it either, fortunately my kid is 26. But that's still all an IF. We will see.

VX KAT
10/08/2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21090&highlight=x-90

TexVeX
10/08/2011, 08:54 PM
Are you encouraging me KAT? ;)

TexVeX
10/10/2011, 03:06 PM
Dreaming BIG has kept me going for a while but its looking like all of the dreams, even the little ones, are getting shot in the butt. We are back to trying to put "Humpty" back together again. Yep, me... Jade... The gal who gave herself a nickname and yet hates to nickname objects... has given her VX a name. From here and forever, my first VX will be named "Humpty".

On one side - Damn the luck - but then at least I still have a VX and perhaps someday it might be able to fool folks from 10 feet or so away that its ok. But that may just be another big dream. I "have" it though, and don't have to acquire a loan to finance repairs, just have to do them as money is gathered and saved.

H3_VX
10/10/2011, 03:11 PM
The x-90 certailnly looks cool, but it looks just about as safe as a Smart car.

TexVeX
10/10/2011, 03:27 PM
I was busy doing my homework yesterday and found these and also read some posts on forums where folks were surprised how safe they were in a crash with such a dangerous vehicle. But then of course the really injured folks may not have been, um, able to talk about their experience. heheh. Anyway, below are some wrecked pics I found.

Certainly damaged the vehicle a lot, but not nearly as crushed up as I was expecting. Still I have seen some BAD junk in wreck pics of larger cars, so most likely, a really bad wreck would be really bad in the X-90 for certain. (I believe in the blue car the thing sticking out the window is the front bumper someone placed in there.)

WRECKED X-90s

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/wrecked-x90-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/wrecked-x90-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/wrecked-x90-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/wrecked-x90-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/wrecked-x90-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/snapshot2-en.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Texcavy/wreck/x-90/snapshot1-en.jpg

RickOKC
10/10/2011, 06:59 PM
Mav,

* Your insurance company's job is to do as close to absolutely nothing as possible.

* YOUR job is to make them honor the commitments you have been paying for over the years.

Those two things are complete opposites and, from experience with another company, I can assure you that forcing them do what they SAID they were going to do - not letting them screw you over - may escalate into something that feels like a SECOND full-time job.

Maybe not... but keep an eye out for a maximum level of sleaziness.

TexVeX
10/13/2011, 06:36 PM
VX KAT, have I Spoken to you yet about the Spindle? Email me or PM me. I probably need it.

We had a delay on trailering the VX to the shop. But today Humpty finally made it over there to see if all the "king's men" can put him back together again. They seem confident over there and do the work very inexpensively. Have seen some of their work and looked pretty good. Still I am worried about traveling down this path. But its the choice I am stuck with, since like I said we can pay as we go without getting a loan. Since we couldn't get a loan anyway. But Keep wishing me luck. Maybe it will work out acceptable if not good.

TexVeX
10/20/2011, 05:50 PM
Bump, are you there VX KAT? :)

VX KAT
10/20/2011, 06:51 PM
Bump, are you there VX KAT? :)

oops, sorry. It's not a spindle, it's a brake rotor.

TexVeX
10/20/2011, 07:13 PM
Got your PM. LOL. :)

Well, Humpty got a repaired frame already. Wow.
If they ARE gonna be able to put Humpty back together again I will have to start a new thread,
since the title of this one will no longer be correct. I guess.