PDA

View Full Version : A robber broke one of my windows.... =(

jheyson =)
09/10/2011, 07:41 PM
Confusion , sadness , and disappointment describe my feelings at the moment when I was first informed that a robber broke a window of my beloved Vehicross.

The motive of such an act of vandalism was a stereo in the back compartment ( behind the back seats) installed by the previous owner. the previous owner cut square whole in the back in order to fit the small stereo. This stereo did not work at all ,which makes the cause of robbery useless. I take some responsibility for not disconnecting the unit to make the car less appealing to ill-intentioned people. The robber did not even take the stereo since it was falling apart. In his attempt to get the stereo , he cut his arm with a side of the broken window, leaving not only his blood sample but also his fingerprints.
When i arrived to the place where my car was broken in, it was like going into one of those spooky crime sceneries, which are common nowadays in TV (ex: Forensic files) . There were numerous police cars, officers ,and detectives at place. I would estimate that 45% of the doors and the windows were covered by a brownish dust substance, which latter I found out that it was being used to collect prints from the robber. I thought at first glance that the robber did more damage to the car , but i was relieved that it was just dust and a broken window.

The funny thing is that when i arrived there , i received a compliment about the car before the police report of attempt of robbery. I assume that for all the officers , it was the first time to see a Vehicross up close..........i think they wanted a ride around town before writing the police report =P ......

The other funny thing is that when i went to a car and glass center to ask about a replacement to my window . All of the 5 guys in the shop where mesmerized by the rarity of the Vehicross that they decided to look around in circles to appreciate the car..... My parents and I were pointing at the broken window , but none of them payed attention to our words. I was like 10 seconds pointing at the window to see if they could fix it , but the first question that i was asked was ..........." what on earth is this thing" . I think that improved my mood ,and It helped me relax ( after all it was just a small window).

Now I am in the search for a new window. It is the small window that has the shape of a parallelogram located in the back(on top of the tail lights). If anyone have any information that can help me put a smile back to my Vehicross, I would trully appreciate, specially now that I am going back to classes in my university this Monday ( what a way to start school =P ...but I hope I can fix it soon)

Officially, I would like to thank VX Kat ( Sue ) for her helpfulness. I just sent her an private message a few minutes ago , and she responded back with useful information that i will have to check out once i finish writing this thread. Once again , Thanks Sue =)

I hope my story serves other members as a remainder to be careful about putting valuable things in the Vehicross when nobody is around, specially if you don't have tinted windows ( like me =P ). The other point that i want to make is that even though you witness that your Vehicross is broken into ,,,DO NOT CONFRONT the robber or robbers. It can be risky to attempt to fight since these type of individuals may be mentally unstable or armed or both. It is better to contact police. Material things come and go but life ....

Have a great weekend all ,and thanks for your time reading my experience as a victim of this disappointing moment for me an my vehicross.

By the way, tomorrow is September 11th ,and i hope everybody value this time of reflection in their own way.

...............God Bless America !!...............

Jheyson,:happyface

Anita
09/10/2011, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is gratifying to know that your vx in defense of itself drew blood from the culprit. Good baby.

Ebenezr
09/11/2011, 06:45 AM
Have better day. Sorry to hear this.

cotterg
09/11/2011, 01:29 PM
I had a time finding a windshield. Safelite had it and installed with Isuzu moulding for under $320. Call them. They are nationwide and I am told make their own glass.

JoFotoz
09/11/2011, 03:07 PM
That SUXS....

I broke a drivers side window wheeling in Moab,...
.....and Merlin at St Charles Isuzu shipped it overnight.

I'm sure Kat suggested you try them.

I hope he has one, but I fear a salvage yard search may be your best bet...:_brickwal

Please let us know where you source your replacement and how much it costs.

Thanks

jo

VX KAT
09/11/2011, 10:39 PM
That SUXS....

I hope he has one, but I fear a salvage yard search may be your best bet...:_brickwal

Thanks

jo

Yeah, I looked up Merlin's price, it's $224, and there's one on ebay at a salvage yard in KY for around $82 + $26 shipping. Jheyson's got the junkyard list too, so he can call around.

mdwyer
09/11/2011, 10:57 PM

Both of the sides were good on the last one I saw in the junkyard. I would have pulled them, but I couldn't figure out how to get them out. Worse, the guys there said that they generally didn't pull the glass. :(

JoFotoz
09/12/2011, 12:25 PM
I believe they are held in with adhesive "mastic" sealant...

I would have pulled them, but I couldn't figure out how to get them out. Worse, the guys there said that they generally didn't pull the glass. :(

....and need to be cut out with a cheese wire type device.

I guess you poke a "starter" hole between glass and body ( window frame)...
..thread a ( serrated ? ) wire through...then one person outside, one inside...
....and saw back and forth all the way round.

Do correct me if I'm wrong..cause I'd like to know how!

:smack:

jo

Gussie2000
09/12/2011, 10:30 PM
Hopefully you'll have the window replaced and your toy back on business.

Man that proton yellow color can be seen ALL the way here in NYC even before you crossed the washington bridge :p

Etfren
09/12/2011, 11:59 PM
I believe that is one way to do it Jo, but my mechanic has a window cutting blade with a pull handle on it to take windows out. He let me borrow it 'cause I was going to take the windows out of the side panels I cut off my parts truck but never got around to it.

tom4bren
09/19/2011, 07:03 AM
I tried a version of that tool and found it to be too awkward to use. I ended up just using a box cutter and took my time. A second person to push/pull on the glass helps a lot too.

Warning: you WILL scar the paint in the process (areas hidden by the adhesive) so be sure to treat it prior to installing new glass.

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is gratifying to know that your vx in defense of itself drew blood from the culprit. Good baby.

Hey Anita ...thanks for your concern

yeah !! the vx was able to defend itself. Iam glad that my window is back on place again!!! .....:bwgy:

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 06:53 AM
Have better day. Sorry to hear this.

Thanks Ebenezr ........My window was replaced 2 days ago , and i am glad that the vx is looking great again !

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 06:56 AM
I had a time finding a windshield. Safelite had it and installed with Isuzu moulding for under $320. Call them. They are nationwide and I am told make their own glass.

Hi Cotterg.....thanks for the tip !!

I called safelite ,and they were able to help me out. The just had to install the window since i was able to find a replacement from out of state. Iam glad that everything is fine again:bwgy:

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 07:14 AM
That SUXS....

Thanks

jo

Hi JoFotoz,
Thanks for the concern .........I was able to find a replacement from a junkyard in KY. Vx kat sent me the link. It came from an ebony which had a very bad accident , but the window was in perfect condition.
The price for the window plus shipping was 100
The price for the instalation was 130
...after all , iam glad that my vx looks great again !!
have a good day!

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 07:24 AM
Hopefully you'll have the window replaced and your toy back on business.

Man that proton yellow color can be seen ALL the way here in NYC even before you crossed the washington bridge :p

Hey Gustavo ,,,

Thanks for the concern........... the vx is looking grerat again !!!
i hope we can have another meeting some time... i was busy with the replacement of the window and school this past week ,,,, but we will find a some time . By the way , i run into a guy who has a silver vx three weeks ago. Interesting to see another one around.

Take care Gustavo,

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 07:32 AM
I tried a version of that tool and found it to be too awkward to use. I ended up just using a box cutter and took my time. A second person to push/pull on the glass helps a lot too.

Warning: you WILL scar the paint in the process (areas hidden by the adhesive) so be sure to treat it prior to installing new glass.

I think that the junkyard used a box cutter. Anyway , they were able to ship the glass in perfect condition. by the way , the robber did a small scratch( it is a fine line) to one side of the edge of the paint.
I want to buy toch-up paint to avoid rusting . I need to touch -up some other areas ,too. What kind of touch up paint is similar to the proton color? iam sure i can not find the original one for the vehicross , so i want to get an aftermarket. any ideas?

thanks Tom,

circmand
09/20/2011, 07:41 AM
I want to buy toch-up paint to avoid rusting . I need to touch -up some other areas ,too. What kind of touch up paint is similar to the proton color? iam sure i can not find the original one for the vehicross , so i want to get an aftermarket. any ideas?

thanks Tom,

You can buy touch up Proton paint from Merlin at St Charles Isuzu

jheyson =)
09/20/2011, 09:32 AM
You can buy touch up Proton paint from Merlin at St Charles Isuzu

Thank you Circmand for the tip !!!
Oh that is great !! I will give them a call to order the paint.:yesy:

JoFotoz
09/20/2011, 10:18 AM
Exellent..glad yer all back together!

jo