PDA

View Full Version : Steering Gear box Hose

Jonnie
09/09/2011, 04:08 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions where to get the hose that goes from the top of the steering gear box to the reservoir (not pump)?

Or to get one made?

Mine is leaking at the fitting at the gear box.

Make sense?

Jon

Edit: I was having left resistance in the wheel and tonight found the reservoir near empty with fluid on the gearbox, with fluid pooled in the metal hose fitting.

Triathlete
09/09/2011, 04:13 PM
St Charles Isuzu

Jonnie
09/09/2011, 05:20 PM
http://catalogs.marketparts.ru/isuzu/?st=50&l=bT09dXNhfHxjYz09VVl8fHNuPT00fHxhbXNpZD09Mnx8Zm49 PTM1fHxuaT09MDE%3D

Part 197 (PS return hose) in the diagram. Wonder if this is letting air into the system and causing the wheel resistance when turning left.

Ebenezr
09/09/2011, 05:52 PM
Mine had leftward turning resistance. I replaced the steering gear. Steering gears are cheap used. Go to the used part finders and search for a same year Trooper steering gear and you will find tons of them.

Jonnie
09/09/2011, 05:54 PM
Mine had leftward turning resistance. I replaced the steering gear. Steering gears are cheap used. Go to the used part finders and search for a same year Trooper steering gear and you will find tons of them.

Did you replace it yourself or a shop? If a shop do you mind me asking what it cost in labor?

Thanks!

Found another link with the Vehicross as root:

http://www.catcar.info/isuzu/?st=50&l=bT09dXNhfHxjYz09Vlh8fHNuPT00fHxhbXNpZD09Mnx8Zm49 PTM1fHxuaT09MDE%3D

Zu4two
09/10/2011, 09:59 AM
Steering gearbox return hose. P/N 8-97178427-1
It's like $25 bucks from Isuzuparts.com or call st. Charles. You can replace it, just be careful putting it back onto the plastic reservoir or you'll snap the bung off and have to replace the reservoir. Good news is the reservoirs are now back in stock :)

Ebenezr
09/10/2011, 10:39 AM
Did you replace it yourself or a shop? If a shop do you mind me asking what it cost in labor?

Thanks!

Found another link with the Vehicross as root:

http://www.catcar.info/isuzu/?st=50&l=bT09dXNhfHxjYz09Vlh8fHNuPT00fHxhbXNpZD09Mnx8Zm49 PTM1fHxuaT09MDE%3D

Replaced myself. level of difficulty was moderate. If I remember pulling the pittman arm off wasn't easy ..you need a good puller. You might get lucky and receive a steering gear with one. Remember it goes on keyed. I had a mechanic do it first and he rammed it on. I had to do his work over cause I lost my turning radius to the right...he didn't center the arm back on correctly.

Jonnie
09/10/2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Ebenezr.

Its been pouring in Tampa and my drive for my bungalow is 2 cement runners so its not ideal place the more I think about it. Seems not too bad if you have a lift. I'm going to have a local shop do the work on Monday, hopefully not too $.

I picked up a Trooper gear box with 20K miles on it today- looks almost new. and it has the pitman on it.

So I'm grounded for a little while; so much for catching up on work at the office this weekend.