PDA

View Full Version : The Squeaking Is Drivng Me Crazy!!

Panther_Black_VX
09/29/2003, 08:20 AM
:madp: I am telling you, I never thought I'd say this but the constant squeaking my VX does is driving me crazy! I absolutely hate it! It sounds like a creaky spring or something.

It happens when the car is stationary and I close the door.
It happens if I roll over a bump at slow speeds.
It happens when I fly over a bump at high speeds.

I simply cannot find the source of the squeaking. If this is normal and cannot be stopped, it will push me towards thinking about other vehicles. I know, I know, just thinking about it constitutes "Vehicular Adultery" but I am at the end of my rope.

Anybody else have similar problems? :?:

joesvx
09/29/2003, 08:44 AM
Mine had the exact same thing..... Mine has been in an accident so I thought it was something serious, I looked and looked and looked. It was just as you described it did it when I shut the door and when I went over very small bumps or very large bumps. I was getting pretty fed up I had climbed under the car so much and sprayed everything I could think of with wd-40 just to try and find out what it was.. I finally talked a maintenance guy at work into driving it and trying to locate the noise. After we looked for about half an hour and pushed and pulled and went over everything we could think of with no luck.... He wiggled the HOOD!!!! and that was it..... It was the hood latch. He wraped some electrical tape around hook that the latch holds as a temporary fix and the squeak STOPED FINALLY !!!!!
I really hope this helps cause I know the feeling.....
Joe

Anita
09/29/2003, 09:03 AM
Chet,

Do a search on hood squeaks. This has been a problem for many. Babe, you just gotta ask!

Triathlete
09/29/2003, 09:41 AM
If all else fails here is a sure fire way to cure it....
Turn up your stereo! ;Dy; ;eeky; ;Dy; ;eeky; ;Dy; ;eeky; ;Dy; ;eeky; ;Dy;

technocoy
09/29/2003, 10:18 AM
i had the exact same thing happen to me two weeks ago... i got to looking... opened the hood... an there it was!!! the previous owner had wrapped tape around it and it had worn away... replaced the tape, and all is well...

technocoy:D

Panther_Black_VX
09/29/2003, 01:25 PM
You gotta be kidding? Tape? Wow.... Okaaayy, I'll look at this once I got out of work. Even thought the loud stereo volumne option works...

I am just a little frustrated. Thank so much all!!!

Amack76
09/29/2003, 02:28 PM
somebody pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze post a pic of where you wrap the tape i am also going nutz

Anita
09/29/2003, 02:42 PM
Amack and Chet,

Check out this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335

SGT.BATGUANO
09/29/2003, 02:58 PM
Sounds a little Rube Goldberg-ish. How about lubricating it with some chassis grease?

Panther_Black_VX
09/29/2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Anita
Amack and Chet,

Check out this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335

You know I did this and it got a little better. I would like a pic of where I should wrap the tape.

SGT.BATGUANO
09/29/2003, 11:57 PM
Did you do a search? I posted about lubricating the the hood bumpers some time back. Use a good chassis grease, I prefer synthetic. Lube ALL of the hood bumpers, especially the rear. Post whether or not this fixes it.

Navigator
09/30/2003, 05:28 AM
...There are many places on the VX that start to squeek, especially this time of year. Here is the list of things to do to get rid of them:

1. Replace your sway bar bushings with greasable urathane's by ENERGY. You get better turning performance and eliminate sway bar squeeks.

2. Blast the joints of your clading with a jet of water at least twice a week to get the dust out. Grit between the cladding makes the VX squeek like a banshee.

3. Lube all rubber contact points around the hood, hatch and doors with silicone spray at least once a month or sooner if you still here squeeks after performing step 1 and 2.

the above steps worked for me, but then again after I installed my sub, i really can't hear anything that's not louder than an emergency horn or siren :naughty:

sgtbilko
09/30/2003, 02:09 PM
Hey Guy's.....thanks for the advice. I too had the dreaded squeak, but put it down to an inherent feature of the VX.
I greased the hood rubbers and hey presto! squeak vanished!!!

omegavx
09/30/2003, 03:18 PM
I know Joe_Black and I discussed this on another thread ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1968&perpage=15&pagenumber=2 ). Originally I had greased the rubber hood stops, as well as the hood hook and latch and my squeak didn't go away. So I figured it wasn't the hood so I turned to oiling every bolt under and around the shocks, springs, bushing and even the bolts on the rims and it still occured. It wasn't until I actually put tape around the hood hook that the squeak seems to have actually gone away. I've only been testing it out today, but so far not one squeak since the tape went on. Here are a couple of pics of where I placed the tape.

http://www.etmnet.com/~admin/vx/images/hoodlatch/tape0.gif (http://www.etmnet.com/~admin/vx/images/hoodlatch/tape0.jpg)
http://www.etmnet.com/~admin/vx/images/hoodlatch/tape1.gif (http://www.etmnet.com/~admin/vx/images/hoodlatch/tape1.jpg)

I'm thinking there has to be somthing better then tape that will last alot longer. I've only closed the hood once and opened it back up once and the tape has already been ripped apart. I'm betting that its preventing the latch from moving up and down n the hook and thats whats stopping it from squeaking. Maybe There's a rubber piece of some kind or somthing that we can use, any ideas??

BTW, my original solution was loud radio as well. I could only hear it when I turned the volume down and it would go away when I turned the volume back up. Maybe I should have checked my radio for static while in the low/off position :) j/k

Tone
09/30/2003, 03:32 PM
Grease the latch and adjust it and the problem will go away. Tape or any other substance is only a temporary fix.

omegavx
09/30/2003, 06:11 PM
By adjusting the latch what exactly do you mean? I tried greasing it and messing with the ruber stops, but that didn't resolve it.

Spike
09/30/2003, 07:32 PM
I have an intermittant squeak too...
...It mostly happens when I go over to New Jersey, but many places in PA cause squeaks too.

I notice I hear more squeaks when I go slow.. temporary solution = go faster. ;Db;
and of course turn on the radio

I haven't been able to figure outwhere it is coming from yet. I will investigate the latch.

Thanks!

Tone
09/30/2003, 07:50 PM
Adjust the latch to hold the hood down against the rubber bumpers firmly.

jeffkics
10/02/2003, 09:04 AM
like all i can say man is wooooowwww

i had this problem for the longest time, this morning i read this thread, i go out at lunch, pop open the hood, turn the 2 rubber hood stops near the radiator a turn each so to make them higher, close the hood, and go to get lunch, this is where the wow comes in, fixed done, schazzammmm

joesvx
10/02/2003, 09:23 AM
I am not sure that I even needed the tape... After reading the posts I turned the rubber bumpers up a little and have been driving for a couple of days and NO SQUEAKING.... Its amazing how simple.. Thanks

valenki
10/03/2003, 09:47 AM
This is what I did for this problem:

1. Grease the hood hook and the lock

2. Turn up rubber pads that the hood sits on in the closed position counter clockwise one full turn

3. Close the hood jently

The squeaking will go away