PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?. Excess oil in common body. Please weigh in!!

Ebenezr
09/06/2011, 06:37 PM
I'm replacing my intake gaskets and found when I opened up my common body - intake manifold - I found that it is completely drenched in oil with about a tspn of oil pooled inside. Is this expected?? are they all this way to some degree?? Or am I zeroing in on a cracked block or leaky valve stem/ head gasket??

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/j3.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/j2.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/oil1.jpg

PK
09/06/2011, 07:05 PM
Blocked PCV valve is the culprit.

How often do you change it??
Some on here change with nearly every oil change.

PK

Ebenezr
09/06/2011, 07:09 PM
I have had the vehicle 8k miles and just changed it. It didn't seem bad.

Ebenezr
09/06/2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks. that is seeming to make sense now.

twalker920
09/06/2011, 07:33 PM
The car I traded in for my VX ('05 Mazda 6S) had the exact same problem. PCV valve was mounted right at the back of the engine against the firewall. Took about 45 minutes to wriggle it out and the new one in.

Where is it on the VX for future reference?

Ebenezr
09/06/2011, 07:34 PM
up front over cylinder2. very easy.

atilla_the_fun
09/06/2011, 08:01 PM
This is the physical incorporation of the oil consumption demon! The proof in the pudding, as it were - about where the F the oil goes if the crankcase pressure gets too high.

VX KAT
09/06/2011, 09:32 PM
The car I traded in for my VX ('05 Mazda 6S) had the exact same problem. PCV valve was mounted right at the back of the engine against the firewall. Took about 45 minutes to wriggle it out and the new one in.

Where is it on the VX for future reference?

up front over cylinder2. very easy.

Just like Ebzy said.....See the square protrusion on the engine cover, above front driver's side cylinder, it's directly under that.

I change mine at every oil change, even if the PCV is still rattling....it's cheap insurance. Although some have had them fail even when basically new, while others have had the same one go for years. I just feel better changing it since it's so cheap and easy. You can still buy he grommet from Merlin, so I change that about every 2 years. Many of us like the Purolator brand, #PV1061. it was a sharp L shape in black plastic. They've now changed to a brown and blue plastic unit with a smoother L shape. I've still been using it, but I did pick up a few other brands to try...most of which look IDENTICAL to the blue/brown Purolator....hmmmmmm, are they all made by the same factory somewhere in China??
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_2818.jpg

VX KAT
09/06/2011, 09:33 PM
This is the physical incorporation of the oil consumption demon! The proof in the pudding, as it were - about where the F the oil goes if the crankcase pressure gets too high.

Sounds like it might be, huh...

twalker920
09/06/2011, 10:10 PM
Yes I took a look under the hood and found it. So much easier to get to than on my Mazda. Do you order that Purolator one online or are they readily available at local stores?

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/06/2011, 10:15 PM
I was one who changed mine every other oil change and stuck primarily with purolator. Then I had 2 new purlators get stuck (one on the way to Moab!) closed causing oil to spray out of my breather cap (air normaly gets sucked in this breather cap when pcv functions properly). I've since altered my logic to running the same one that I bought from the local mom & pop parts store up the road that fits perfectly and has a larger throat than the few others I've tried (purolater, autozone brand, napa brand) which seems to help with my boosted engine in maintaining proper crankcase pressure, whereas the smaller throated pcv's seem to get overwhelmed (over capacity). I don't recall the brand name of mine but can find out if anyone cares. I also check to see if mine rattles everytime I check my oil, which is usually at least after every fuel stop plus whenever I have the hood up for any reason. when mine seems sticky and doesn't rattle totally freely I hit it with either pb blaster or seafoam and it returns to like new condition (rattles freely). That's my story and I'm sticking too it (no pun intended)!

VX KAT
09/06/2011, 11:38 PM
Yes I took a look under the hood and found it. So much easier to get to than on my Mazda. Do you order that Purolator one online or are they readily available at local stores?

You can get them at Pep-Boys, probably other auto parts stores too. I also ordered them online at Advance Auto one time when they had them on a great sale price.

JR, I recall you'd had that problem with the new ones, but I didn't realize the one you got from the mom/pop shop had a larger throat. I'd be interested in the brand name if you can still find that info. Thanks.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/07/2011, 12:09 AM
JR, I recall you'd had that problem with the new ones, but I didn't realize the one you got from the mom/pop shop had a larger throat. I'd be interested in the brand name if you can still find that info. Thanks.

I'll find out ASAP.

circmand
09/07/2011, 05:32 AM
I have been able to purchase in store at Autozone, Pepboys, Oreilly, and 1 other I can not recall but one of the big ones. Only once were they sold out but always carried them

twalker920
09/07/2011, 06:22 AM
Cool thanks all. Great info. FYI I have put about 600 miles on my VX since I got it, and the oil level hasn't moved from full, and it's still very nice and clean. I really do think the previous owner (grantCO on these boards) took exemplary care of it. I think I got very lucky :)