PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye VX

mindaugas
08/25/2011, 07:14 PM
Traded the VX in last weekend for another 02 Outback Wagon H6. Having a baby and jumped on this OBW. I have another just like it with twice as many miles and I love it, except for the black purplish color. Not I have a white rocky mountain edition which looks much nicer :)

Anyway, VX was continuing to have problems. High RPM on the highway and recently overheating while idle. Combine that with the difficulty of putting a baby seat in and it was a no brainier. It was sometimes fun, but mostly work to keep it running. I don't think I'll get another one, too much effort in keeping it running. Checking oil at every fill up was annoying. And the stiff suspension in the rear. My dog wouldn't ride in it, and after the wife got pregnant, she wouldn't either.

So there it is, I was once a proud and happy VX owner, that turned into a sad and disappointed ex-VX owner. However, I still think it was an awesome concept and I absolutely love the styling. Modern cars are just now catching up. The ground clearance and off road capability stock are probably still unmatched by any other stock SUV.

mindaugas
08/25/2011, 07:21 PM
Oh, it went to Go Subaru on Arapahoe just in case they put it up for sale instead of auction. They were hard up on inventory, so who knows, but I doubt it. I bought it for $7k and I can't imagine them getting more than that out of it.

VIN is in my profile in case someone buys it down the road. I'm happy to answer any questions for the short period I had it. I only used mobil1, 91 octane, replaced FPR and EGR, has K&N.

Scott Larson
08/25/2011, 07:38 PM
And now, the $20,000 question, what'd they give you on trade? Don't be a stranger to the forum and best of luck on the new acquisition!

VXorado
08/25/2011, 07:58 PM
It was sometimes fun, but mostly work to keep it running. I don't think I'll get another one, too much effort in keeping it running. Checking oil at every fill up was annoying. And the stiff suspension in the rear.

Well the VX isn't for everyone. Its funny because my only experience with a subaru was horrible, worst car I ever owned (05 subaru legacy gt). I sold it after 6 months and was happy to say goodbye. I'm not trying to bash subaru or anything just pointing out how we all end up with different experiences.

Good luck, make sure to say hi if you see an ironman driving around Denver. :yesy:

RickOKC
08/25/2011, 09:10 PM
Aw, man... sorry it didn't work out for you. :( Nobody should take it personally that you needed something that fits your new life a little better. No matter what, you will always be one of us weirdos who owned a VX so like Scott said, don't be a stranger. You'll always be one of us, one of us, one of us....

TheGanzman
08/26/2011, 06:54 AM
Man, I read all the problems that people have with their VX's and just shake my head. My VX has 80K miles now, as the second owner - I've owned it 2.5 years now. NEVER a CEL, NEVER an ABS issue, NEVER a TOD light; original shocks are dry as a popcorn fart and work fine; original brake pads front and rear with ~50% left on 'em; doesn't leak ONE DROP of ANYTHING, doesn't overheat in this 112 degree Phoenix heat; uses less than a quart of oil every 5K miles. I had to adjust the driver's window ONE time after I first bought it; both windows work great. Personally, I think one of the "secrets" to my VX's lack of problems is that it is almost STONE stock, including tire size. These vehicles were engineered and built as an "assembly", IMHO; you start messin' with "the arithmetic", and you're just asking for trouble.

Again, too bad you had a bad experience w/yours. NO shame WHATSOEVER in trading it though - it's a THING! Mine is my ONLY motorized vehicle, so if I started having problems, I'd ditch it and pitch it like a used condom! It's STILL the coolest SUV on the road at ANY price, IMHO. The upcoming Porsche Cajun is the ONLY SUV that has me "thinking" about changing out, and that's two years minimum away. I do "baby" mine; it's never been offroad (except for on the shoulder!:smilewink) and the underside looks almost as new as the shiny side. That baby will soon change your life (if it hasn't already) to where a vehicle is pretty much just another "appliance" in your life; again, no shame in that. Best of luck with your second Subie!

WormGod
08/26/2011, 07:12 AM
Well, at least you went with a Subie. Solid rides and will get you "almost" everywhere a VX will, heh (considering my STi is low enough to be considered a hovercraft).

mindaugas
08/26/2011, 12:26 PM
And now, the $20,000 question, what'd they give you on trade?

$5k, about BB.

I'm not trying to bash subaru or anything just pointing out how we all end up with different experiences.

For sure, I had two 86 Trooper II's with over 200k on them and they always started, ran through anything. I bought them cheap and used them as toys and prairie dog shooting platforms :P

RICHARD PAYNE
08/27/2011, 08:16 PM
The secret to keeping anything nice, preventive maintenance and I personally believe in keeping vehicles inside out of the sun and the extremes of the weather. Alot of the VXs we get the owners never changed anything but the oil and air filters and they expect them to work properly?

mindaugas
08/27/2011, 08:39 PM
I agree, but that's hard to do when you're buying a used vehicle with no history. I don't know if the previous owner(s) used premium fuel, mobil1, religiously changed oil, spark plugs, etc. I don't think keeping it out of the sun is going to do anything but protect it's beauty. And then I can go out and get a Subaru with 100k on it and not have to deal with any of those issues, so there's that.

VXorado
09/04/2011, 02:58 PM
I saw a Foxfire on 16th street mall in Denver today. I wonder if someone already bought your VX?

Mile High VX
09/05/2011, 07:20 AM
I saw a Foxfire on 16th street mall in Denver today. I wonder if someone already bought your VX?

Or it might have been the one I looked at in 2009 before I bought mine. Guy lives downtown in a converted warehouse next to the firestation...needed a place for his collection of over 400 motorcycles!

It was a sweet VX but his wife was tired of it.

mindaugas
09/05/2011, 09:17 AM
I think they probably auctioned it. At least I haven't seen it pop up on their site. They have a couple high mile Isuzus listed tho.

VXjunky
09/05/2011, 10:29 AM
a link to the only subaru ive ever had an interest in ....only with the VW mod though

VXjunky
09/05/2011, 10:29 AM
a link to the only subaru ive ever had an interest in ....only with the VW mod though....
http://blogs.truckinweb.com/6470587/opinions/size-matters/index.html

VXjunky
09/05/2011, 10:30 AM
wow...sight freak out...i only posted once....honest...guess it corrected itself....had 15+ postings oof the same comment

VX KAT
09/05/2011, 11:26 AM
wow...sight freak out...i only posted once....honest...guess it corrected itself....had 15+ postings oof the same comment

sure your cat didn't walk across your keyboard....and pause, er I mean paws on the enter key?...:goof:

deermagnet
09/05/2011, 04:19 PM
I think they probably auctioned it.
Here it is folks. Buyer beware. :(

http://www.stansautosalesllc.com/2000-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-Westminster-CO-275 (http://www.stansautosalesllc.com/2000-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-Westminster-CO-275)

Mark

mindaugas
10/01/2016, 08:03 AM
I don't think I'll get another one, too much effort in keeping it running.

haha! I'm going to try and look at one today. Glad I found this post to help me remember all those headaches I had so I can try and look out for them.

Stan's Auto is where I bought the Foxfire from, funny it went back there.

VXorado
10/03/2016, 06:29 AM
I don't think I'll get another one, too much effort in keeping it running.

haha! I'm going to try and look at one today. Glad I found this post to help me remember all those headaches I had so I can try and look out for them.

Stan's Auto is where I bought the Foxfire from, funny it went back there.

Funny how things work out... I commented back in 2011 on this thread and just sold my VX last month. Had a baby... that same old story. Good luck with the search! I'll probably be looking for VX myself in another 5 years...