PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid leak!

jdm monkey
08/18/2011, 09:47 AM
Power steering fluid is "gushing" out! I thought its the low pressure line so I repalced that. After that, I still see a lot of leak!

tom4bren
08/18/2011, 09:53 AM
Weird. I haven't noticed any leaks but the power steering fluid was very low on the VX last time I checked. I'll have to keep an eye out for leaks.

On the other hand, the steering box was re-built after my accident last year (new sector shaft installed). The fluid loss could have been the system purging itself.

Gizmo42
08/21/2011, 10:05 PM
Not sure if your pump is set up the same as mine since my rodeo has R&P steering but when I had a leak it was a bad o-ring on one of the hoses where it bolts to the pump.

LittleBeast
08/22/2011, 02:02 AM
There is a sensor on the bottom side of the pump that can vibrate loose. This has happened to me before. I have replaced my pump well over 4 times trying to find one that does not whine with my big tires + wheels :-( haha

nfpgasmask
08/22/2011, 04:37 PM
Can you tell if it is leaking from the pump, the reservoir or the hoses? When my Trooper's PS blew, it all came out at once and I lost power steering right then and there....

Bart

jdm monkey
08/22/2011, 07:41 PM
It looks like it is coming from the fitting to the steering box. Does that have an O-ring? I thought it was a flared fitting.

nfpgasmask
08/23/2011, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure about the VX, but I am pretty sure it was the o-ring at the blew on the bottom of my steering box in the Trooper. I just replaced the whole steering box with a remaned one.

Bart

phrogs4life
10/18/2012, 11:01 PM
The fittings are flared (flange) going into the gearbox. This being the case there is only three ways it can leak. 1. The flare itself has cracked or chipped (and yes I have seen this many times on many different aircraft and vehicles). 2. The fitting has some how backed off. 3. The fitting was way over torqued and stretched the threads and now over time they have become useless.

bentcipher
10/19/2012, 06:52 AM
You are correct. There is indeed a copper washer there. Get a brand new one as replacement.

I made a mistake of re-using original one after hose replacement job I did a while back. Needless to say I had to do that job twice!