PDA

View Full Version : Trans Issue PLEASE HELP!!!

Freon VX
09/27/2003, 12:08 PM
Today I got in my Vx and the check trans light was flashing. I drove about 6 blocks and it was shifting hard and making a huge clunk at the transfer case. I pulled over, and stopped, shut down and restared...same thing. I then pulled over about 3 miles away (I couldnt stop where I was) and shut down for about 7 minutes.

I CAN NOT FIND THE TRANS DIPSTICK or a TRANS FILLER TUBE! I thought it might need trans fluid. Could also not find any mention of a dipstick or filler in the manula.

Restarted the car, and no light, and it runs ans shifts fine. Drive fine for about an hour of off and on driving (about 50 miles), then suddenly in slow stop and go traffic, the light come back on and the same problems appear. I go to my appointment, shut her down for about 1/2 an hour, and then made it the 60 miles home without a light or any problems...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON???

AND how do you fill the darned thing???

Bill

Tone
09/27/2003, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a mode selector failing or about to fail. Might want to check the 5 wire connection on the tranny itself, on the drivers side above the small pan - if that is not securely in it will cause symptoms such as you describe that come and go. See my instructions for installing the Interceptor (on my site) for picture and location.

Fluid level is checked by removing the higher of the 2 fill plugs on the large tranny pan. With the engine running, wheels chocked/parking brake, when you remove the top plug, fluid should run out as soon after you loosen the plug. Use the search feature to find other posts on the tranny.

Freon VX
09/27/2003, 02:23 PM
Tone, thanks for the info. SO at least Im not blind, there is no dipstick...how convenient.

The mode selector, is this a computer item, mechanical, etc? What is the cost to replace such should it fail?

Thanks,

Bill

kpv
03/14/2004, 07:29 PM
Tone,
I posted a thread recently concerning a clunk (bang) my transmission makes when shifting gears. My post said from 2nd to 3rd but in reality I was mistaken. It happens from 1st to 2nd gear. This is the only thing I can find using the search function that comes close to my symptoms.

It makes a loud bang every time it shifts from 1 to 2. Do you think it is the harness to the transmission? Could it be the fluid level?

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Ken

SPAZZ
03/14/2004, 09:23 PM
well ....um..if it...was...um... the fluid level...don't you... think..um......you would....um....check that...and...um.....eliminate that issue:confused: