PDA

View Full Version : uh oh, First issue with VX

H3_VX
08/15/2011, 01:25 PM
Today went to get cake at the grocery store with wife. When we came back out and she tried to get in, the door wouldn't open. Yes, it was unlocked. :p She had to crawl in through the drivers door into the passenger seat. After getting home I checked it out. The screw holding the door lever on the inside was out. The entire door handle assembly from the inside fell out because of that one screw. Well, I grabbed a screwdriver and got it back in, but it seems that the screw hole is threaded. What should I do? Loctite...or bring it to dealer and get new parts if possible.

JAMAS
08/15/2011, 01:31 PM
Loctite will only help if there is something for the screw to screw into. I dont believe it would function like glue in this situation.

You might just need a #7 grommet for $1.25

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/4/4628370.gif

maybe compare to the other door to see whats missing.

You can also use that diagram to tell Merlin what part you need.

H3_VX
08/15/2011, 01:38 PM
Loctite will only help if there is something for the screw to screw into. I dont believe it would function like glue in this situation.

You might just need a #7 grommet for $1.25

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/4/4628370.gif

maybe compare to the other door to see whats missing.

You can also use that diagram to tell Merlin what part you need.

I think you're right. Merlin is a member here, right?

JAMAS
08/15/2011, 01:43 PM
Merlin is a member, but more over he is THE parts dude. Be sure to mention that you are a forum member.

Merlin - in the Parts Dept.
St. Charles Isuzu (well, formerly an Isuzu dealership)
MISSOURI
(800) 727-8066

H3_VX
08/15/2011, 01:45 PM
Merlin - in the Parts Dept.
St. Charles Isuzu (well, formerly an Isuzu dealership)
MISSOURI
(800) 727-8066

Is part #5 the actual door handle? Also, when I call do I ask for Merlin?

VX KAT
08/15/2011, 02:44 PM
Is part #5 the actual door handle? Also, when I call do I ask for Merlin?

Yes, #5 is the inside door handle. It's $13.35 on Merlin's parts site.

Merlin does have an ID here, but he told me he's never is on the forum.

He usually answers that number, but if not, just ask for him by name in the Parts Dept. I've found that number often goes to voice mail..which means they're busy...don't bother leaving a message, better to keep calling until you reach him live.

Also, he doesn't really like to use email...just call until you get him live.

Here's St. Charles online parts website...it shows you the same prices he gives us including the free shipping:
http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/

That door handle is under:
Door
Lock and Hardware
Handle Inside

H3_VX
08/15/2011, 03:46 PM
Yes, #5 is the inside door handle. It's $13.35 on Merlin's parts site.

Merlin does have an ID here, but he told me he's never is on the forum.

He usually answers that number, but if not, just ask for him by name in the Parts Dept. I've found that number often goes to voice mail..which means they're busy...don't bother leaving a message, better to keep calling until you reach him live.

Also, he doesn't really like to use email...just call until you get him live.

Here's St. Charles online parts website...it shows you the same prices he gives us including the free shipping:
http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/

That door handle is under:
Door
Lock and Hardware
Handle Inside

Great, Thanks! I'll order tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue?

Marlin
08/15/2011, 04:26 PM
I would just put some JB weld in there and then drill it out....

H3_VX
08/15/2011, 04:33 PM
I would just put some JB weld in there and then drill it out....

Please excuse my ignorance, but....?

Marlin
08/15/2011, 04:39 PM
JB weld is a 2 part metal and hardener, like epoxy. You can get it anywhere, auto parts, wally world, grocery store.... You put it in the original hole. Wait the cure time 20min to a few hours pending what type you get. Then you drill out the hole a little smaller than the threads, then you put the screw in. Presto!! I always keep JB weld in the truck in my trail kit. Wonderful stuff.

H3_VX
08/15/2011, 05:06 PM
JB weld is a 2 part metal and hardener, like epoxy. You can get it anywhere, auto parts, wally world, grocery store.... You put it in the original hole. Wait the cure time 20min to a few hours pending what type you get. Then you drill out the hole a little smaller than the threads, then you put the screw in. Presto!! I always keep JB weld in the truck in my trail kit. Wonderful stuff.

Sounds really cool. Thanks for explaination. I'm betting that it costs more than $1.06 though. :bgwo:

Marlin
08/15/2011, 05:10 PM
Sounds really cool. Thanks for explaination. I'm betting that it costs more than $1.06 though. :bgwo:

Probably around 5 bucks for the tube. You would use 25 cents worth or less. Not sure your intentions with the VX< but if she gonna offroad at all, I would recommend investing the couple bucks and starting a trail kit of some kind. Straps, shackles, 100mph tape, fluids and so on.

Grif
08/15/2011, 08:27 PM
JB weld is just an epoxy. I use it all the time to fabricate broken plastics in laptops. Its good stuff, its drillable, machinable within moderation. Cure time is overnight, but its cheap.

I REALLY like this stuff tho: Marine-Tex in both fast cure and putty form. The putty is very workable into a variety of shapes, and the fast cure is FAST (for epoxy). More spendy, esp the putty since once you mix the pot, its a one-shot deal.

http://www.marinetex.com/MarineTexproducts.html

H3_VX
08/16/2011, 04:10 AM
Probably around 5 bucks for the tube. You would use 25 cents worth or less. Not sure your intentions with the VX< but if she gonna offroad at all, I would recommend investing the couple bucks and starting a trail kit of some kind. Straps, shackles, 100mph tape, fluids and so on.

I don't plan on offroading her. I took my H3 out last summer and even though I had a blast I almost cried when I got out and saw the aftermath. :o

tom4bren
08/16/2011, 05:15 AM

Yer Military bend is showing. For those not on the know: 100mph tape is military grade Duct Tape. It was called that because they used to use it to repair damage to aircraft (back in the prop days) & was rated to hold up to ... you guessed it ... 100mph.

I'll let Marlin tell the story on 550 cord (also good to have in your trail kit).

tom4bren
08/16/2011, 05:17 AM
JB weld is just an epoxy. I use it all the time to fabricate broken plastics in laptops. Its good stuff, its drillable, machinable within moderation. Cure time is overnight, but its cheap.

I REALLY like this stuff tho: Marine-Tex in both fast cure and putty form. The putty is very workable into a variety of shapes, and the fast cure is FAST (for epoxy). More spendy, esp the putty since once you mix the pot, its a one-shot deal.

http://www.marinetex.com/MarineTexproducts.html

I still like PC-7 & PC-11 too. It's gotten almost impossible to find locally though. I need to see if I can purchase some on line (need some PC-11 to install a depth finder on the boat & I'm almost out).

JAMAS
08/16/2011, 05:48 AM
Not that I am a mechanic to any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like H3_VX is more comfortable with a screw change than a whole epoxy fix. However, I would encourage you (H3_VX) to begin trying to do your own stuff on the VX. Little by little you become alot more aware of your vehicle and less scared of things breaking and how to get them repaired.

vt_maverick
08/16/2011, 08:35 AM
Yer Military bend is showing. For those not on the know: 100mph tape is military grade Duct Tape. It was called that because they used to use it to repair damage to aircraft (back in the prop days) & was rated to hold up to ... you guessed it ... 100mph.

I'll let Marlin tell the story on 550 cord (also good to have in your trail kit).

"Used to?" Last I heard they were still "repairing" wing and tail cracks with duct tape on our **** planes in the Middle East.

tom4bren
08/16/2011, 08:59 AM
"Used to?" Last I heard they were still "repairing" wing and tail cracks with duct tape on our **** planes in the Middle East.

also works on diapers that won't stay up.

VX KAT
08/16/2011, 09:12 AM
Not that I am a mechanic to any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like H3_VX is more comfortable with a screw change than a whole epoxy fix. However, I would encourage you (H3_VX) to begin trying to do your own stuff on the VX. Little by little you become alot more aware of your vehicle and less scared of things breaking and how to get them repaired.

Good suggestions JAMAS...it's been a really cool learning experience for me to learn about the truck and where and what everything is...... heck, I even learned to change my own PCV valve, changed my spark plugs, and just swapped my front seats and the rails/slider...:thumbup: ...and I darn near succeeded at installing my faux skid plates! :rollo: You can DO IT!

Marlin
08/16/2011, 12:08 PM
x100 on the working on your own truck thing. Whos gonna fix your truck when the zombie revolution goes down....:)

As for the 100mph tape, its worth the 10-15 bucks a roll. I had 4 pieces that I had stuck to the bedrail of the F250 when moving a dresser. I forgot about them until I was on teh freeway. The pieces were about 6 inches long, and all stuck in an "x" shape. The bottom piece had about an 1 or 2 on the rail, I could see them flapping like mad in the wind!! They never came off. Sweet.

Oh, you REALLY need to pack some HD zipties and some lockwire, those are musts as well.

H3_VX
08/16/2011, 01:39 PM
Just ordered the parts from Merlin. Wicked cool dude. I will definitely be calling him again with other orders in the future.