PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound after OME 912 lift.

tombrinkley23
08/15/2011, 05:51 AM
Hello all, I have a question. I just lifted my VX over the weekend and on the way to work today there was a strange sound come from I believe the rear end. It happens when I let up on the gas pedal. It’s more of a rattle sound. I still have the stock wheels and tires on it right now. Does anyone have any ideas?:upsetgray

Triathlete
08/15/2011, 06:52 AM
It is common. It is the rear pinion angle which causes the u joints to make the sound. Mine has been lifted for 5+ years with no problems. The only way to get rid of the noise is to get adjustable links to adjust the angle.

VXorado
08/15/2011, 07:38 AM
I agree with Billy, its most likely the U joints. Although the U joints vibrate with the new angle and make more of a grinding noise (at least for me)... not so much a rattle. I would grease all three driveshaft zerks generously and see if it helps. The grinding noise can be eliminated from my VX all together if I keep the U joints well greased.

SilverBullet75
08/15/2011, 09:14 AM
Yes, greasing will help... temporarily. I have the same issue. Last time I greased it went away for about 2000 miles. It's just starting to come back now. So, at every oil change, or as needed, grease your shaft. Um... I mean your nipples. I mean... um.
Hole... digging.

RabidPony
08/15/2011, 09:20 AM
Yes, greasing will help... temporarily. I have the same issue. Last time I greased it went away for about 2000 miles. It's just starting to come back now. So, at every oil change, or as needed, grease your shaft. Um... I mean your nipples. I mean... um.
Hole... digging.

I think Kat greases her rack too. :D

tom4bren
08/15/2011, 09:52 AM
Y'all need to quit zerk-ing around.

mhill
08/15/2011, 04:54 PM
Several have had the same problem, including me. I replaced the u-joints, had the drive shaft balanced, replaced the u-joints again thinking I got a bad one and finally had someone who knows tell me about the angles. Per the off-road shop and the drive shaft and axle shop the angle is not too great but the angle out of the transfer case and the angle of the rear pinion are not the same. Adjustable links or a custom built shaft with cv's instead of u-joints is the only answer. greasing your nips will keep it quiet for a short time, mine only lasts for about 100miles.

Disclaimer: I am only repeating what I have heard when asking about how to fix mine. I have not done anything with mine yet.

LittleBeast
08/15/2011, 04:56 PM
As stated above your angle of your u joints are now not the same causing your driveshaft to vibrate which can be heard through many different shakes and thuds and vibrations and all kinds of stub, most times when you left off the gas, sometimes at other times. You probably will never hear it when you are accelerating because the rear springs are compressed and thus back into the acceptable limits of our driveshaft without vibration. This will cause premature pinion seal leaks if not corrected. 2 ways to correct, upgrade your driveshaft to have one u joint and one cv joint on it, or get adjustable lower links and correct your angle that way.

Reading material:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index2.html

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml#OperatingAngle

tombrinkley23
08/16/2011, 05:15 AM
OK, I think I got it. First, the main problem is too much vibration on my shaft causing it to rattle and if I slap some lube on it, it will so down and if I don’t stop the dry vibration, I will have premature leaks. Sounds like a story my Jr High coach told me in the locker room…;eeky;
All kidding aside, Thanks guys and girls for your help. I will lube it for now until I can adjust the lower links.:bgwb:

RabidPony
08/16/2011, 11:04 AM
ROFL. I love this forum. :D