PDA

View Full Version : 3000RPM Idle & Overheating... fixed!

bentcipher
08/14/2011, 08:02 PM
Hey everyone... been a while since I visited the forum or did any work to my Vx (other than regular maintenance) but got an issue that became a major problem not too long ago, resolved the issue today and wanted to share my experience as I didn't find anything overwhelmingly decisive in this area on the forum (although there is a thread or two that come close).

Symptoms:
Intermittent high idle topping out at 3,000 RPM when in "Park" or "Neutral" - around 1,200RPM when in gear... and bearing down on forward. The idle was consistent but high, required extra effort to stop the vehicle at lights, and keep it from moving - it lounged forward once foot is off gas pedal.

Subsequently, the vehicle began to run at extremely high temperatures. Never quite overheated but almost right on top of "H" on the gauge. Fuel economy went to *****.

Resolution:
Pulled IAC and MAF sensor, cleaned both with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner and IAC was cleaned with CRC Throttle Body/Intake Cleaner - both readily available at your neighborhood auto store like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly, etc... Both sprays did a good job getting grime and gunk off with seemingly no effort. Also removed and cleaned EGR valve and replaced PCV off the driver's side of the engine head cover. (new PCV was like $2.98USD)

Hope this helps anyone having similar issues. My Vx is an '01 with 111,000 miles on it at this point. If anyone has any questions, post 'em here!

Good luck.

ZubrAZ
08/15/2011, 12:25 AM
thank you!

bentcipher
10/19/2012, 07:01 AM
Update: this issue subsequently came back and the only way I was able to resolve it is by replacing my EGR valve (with a gasket it came with). It's still hiccuping once in a while on me so I may go ahead and replace my IAC... maybe MAF sensor too... I'll post updates whenever I'm able to resolve this completely.

SilverBullet75
10/19/2012, 05:19 PM
Hi'
A usual fix for those symptoms is to replace the fuel pressure regulator.
I've done it on 2 VXs now. Fixed both. Hope yours stays fixed! If not, try that.
:-)

Marlin
10/20/2012, 03:40 AM
Hi'
A usual fix for those symptoms is to replace the fuel pressure regulator.
I've done it on 2 VXs now. Fixed both. Hope yours stays fixed! If not, try that.
:-)

x2 (but only one VX)

LittleBeast
10/20/2012, 02:20 PM
Failing FPR can damage #6 cylinder if not addressed quickly.

catskilljay
12/06/2012, 08:45 PM
I need help with all these abbreviated parts please!! The only one im familiar with is AIC (air idle control) right? I too have been having ruff idle issues which is now stalling at stops please help!! Can anyone shoot me some how to links or even vids on cleaning these parts? yes I'm a wetart but im trying :) CRC MAF ? where n what is EGR valve?? oh and I do know the WTF one as well LOL

catskilljay
12/06/2012, 09:53 PM
ok so Googled Youtubed and think im ready to tackle probs tomorrow. wish it wasnt Dec and cold in NY with no garage brrrr

evillecutter
12/07/2012, 06:17 AM
maf = mass air flow sensor
pcv = positive crankcase ventilation
fpr = fuel pressure regulator
tps = throttle position sensor
icv = idle control valve
egr = exhaust gas return valve

tom4bren
12/07/2012, 06:20 AM
PCV is also sometimes referred to as: Pressure Control Valve.

catskilljay
12/07/2012, 06:31 AM
Great thanks alot guys!! Ask and you shall recieve :) I dont suppose it would be to much to ask if someone could direct me to some pics or videos of locations of parts to be cleaned/replaced? do's dont's etc. I've watched a ton of vids on youtube but non of VX... in the mean time gunna keep searching this wonderful board and innerweb gathering knowledge till the freezing rain subsides....

tom4bren
12/07/2012, 06:40 AM
The MAF is the honeycomb thinggy on the side of the airbox (airfilter housing) where the big tube goes in. I don't remember ever seeing a write up on it.

Here's a How2 on the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

evillecutter
12/07/2012, 06:48 AM
tom's fpr writeup made it super easy - the idle control calve and throttle position sensor are super easy they are both where your air intake goes into the engine - pcv is just pull out with your fingers its on your drivers side valve cover - just make sure you hook up the vaccuum lines to all of them when you put the new ones on - i clean my pcv with carb cleaner and reuse it

catskilljay
12/07/2012, 07:02 AM
:thumbup: thank you! thank you!! I'm feeling loved.

tom4bren
12/07/2012, 07:05 AM
This is the best I can find on the EGR cleaning:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19092&highlight=EGR+cleaning

Nobody seems to have done a How2 with step by step pix.

EDIT:

Here's a little more detail:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=94032&postcount=15

EDIT again:

Here's some info (& 1 pic) on the IAC:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21915&highlight=TPS+clean

Note in one of the posts that it was just a leaking hose so check them before you start buying replacement parts.

tom4bren
12/07/2012, 07:28 AM
tom's fpr writeup made it super easy

I can't take credit. I just created the pdf. Sorry but I don't remember who's efforts I shamelessly plagerized from.

Ldub
12/07/2012, 07:59 AM
I can't take credit. I just created the pdf. Sorry but I don't remember who's efforts I shamelessly plagerized from.

IIRC, that was Gino...that dude from Maui.

And here's where the EGR lives...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/00000_1.JPG

MSHardeman
12/07/2012, 09:03 AM
IIRC, that was Gino...that dude from Maui.

Don't want to nit-pick, Dub, but dudes name was Dino (just want to give credit where credit is due) I still have his FPR replacement write up printed out and have used it twice now.

tom4bren
12/07/2012, 09:05 AM
Don't want to nit-pick, Dub ...

At least he's good with crayons.

EDIT:

Since I'm in a plagerizing mood, I'll finish what Dub started.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_engine_bay_2.jpg

Ldub
12/07/2012, 09:28 AM
Don't want to nit-pick, Dub, but dudes name was Dino (just want to give credit where credit is due)

Oh boo hoo hoo hoo hoo...:waag:

Now I'm all butt hurt cuz you corrected me...:waag:

L-O-L...:laughing:.:laughing:.:laughing:

Good catch Mark, my memory has slipped to the "close, but no C-gar" level...I'm gonna need all the help I can get from you youngsters...:thanx:

EDIT:

"leaf"...:laughing:

You forgot "FWP"...

evillecutter
12/07/2012, 11:25 AM

EDIT:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_engine_bay_2.jpg

THIS will be extremely helpful to future vx owners - is that an oem or aftermarket leaf?

catskilljay
12/07/2012, 06:26 PM
OMG (Oh My God Valve) the leaf had me dying over here!! Twice! yes n incredibly helpful for da future of mankind... You guys have been so helpful! I'm tempted to ask if anyone can point out the Gspot? and directions for scrubbing it right? :_brickwal

tom4bren
12/10/2012, 07:55 AM
You forgot "FWP"...

Ya got me Dub. Can't figger out FWP!!!:_brickwal

THIS will be extremely helpful to future vx owners - is that an oem or aftermarket leaf?

Must be aftermarket. Where the leaf is on this one, I carry copious amounts of acorns.

... if anyone can point out the Gspot? and directions for scrubbing it right? :_brickwal

I have no response to that.

Ldub
12/10/2012, 08:03 AM
Ya got me Dub. Can't figger out FWP!!!:_brickwal

Just to the right of the FPR, is the "Fire Wall Plug"...:laughing:

Aaaaaaa Ha-Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha....As you well know...:rolleyesg

I think I am Sooooooooo funny...:laughing:

:thanx: for playing...:smilewink

tom4bren
12/10/2012, 08:07 AM
Just to the right of the FPR, is the "Fire Wall Plug"...:laughing:

Aaaaaaa Ha-Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha....As you well know...:rolleyesg

I think I am Sooooooooo funny...:laughing:

:thanx: for playing...:smilewink

Dang ... now I'll hafta rename that somnagun. I'm going to use the FWP to run the remote braking cable through the firewall for when I'm towing the VX. Just gotta find the time between now & May (Moab) to get'r done.

tom4bren
12/10/2012, 08:45 AM
Just in case the previous pic was too advanced ...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_engine_bay_3.jpg

This is the 'VX engine bay for dummies' version.:)

tom4bren
03/05/2013, 09:43 AM
I need help with all these abbreviated parts please!! The only one im familiar with is AIC (air idle control) right? I too have been having ruff idle issues which is now stalling at stops please help!! Can anyone shoot me some how to links or even vids on cleaning these parts? yes I'm a wetart but im trying :) CRC MAF ? where n what is EGR valve?? oh and I do know the WTF one as well LOL

Did you ever get your issue(s) resolved?