PDA

View Full Version : quick question on fluids

mantis465
08/11/2011, 11:29 AM
was wondering what are the factory recommended fluids for, tranny, transfercase, and front and rear diff's.

RickOKC
08/11/2011, 12:11 PM
From the Owner's Manual:

Engine: 10w30
Power Steering: Dextron III
Transmission: (Same) Dextron III
TOD: (Same) Dextron III
Front Axle: SAE 75W-90 Gear Lubricant GL-5
Rear Axle: SAE 80W-90 Gear Lubricant GL-5
LSD with LSD Additive
Brakes: DOT-3

tom4bren
08/11/2011, 12:13 PM
Rick,

You were too quick. I was searching for this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4284&highlight=Transfer+case+fluid

RickOKC
08/11/2011, 12:30 PM
I keep lots of stuff like that handy on my smartphone so it was just a quick plug in / copy / paste. :yesgray:

I like your list better (bookmarked!). Thanks!

tom4bren
08/11/2011, 12:40 PM
Make sure you read the whole thread, there were some changes made after the initial post.

mantis465
08/11/2011, 03:32 PM
thanks for all the help. i am going to be picking up vx on monday and am going to bring some fluids to ensure tranny and fluids are all topped up before the 1200 mile trek home. and one i get home well then the work will really start :)

H3_VX
08/11/2011, 04:00 PM
ah, thanks for posting this. i was actually going to ask something similar. when is the recommended services for such things as the t-case, tranny. i suppose i need to ask the seller of mine tomorrow if any of that has been done since she owned it. i also think i want to redo the entire brakes system including lines, fluid, rotors, pads and calipers at some point. she gave me a receipt that shows new pads and rotors were put on the front, but it still doesn't seem to have the stopping power as say, my H3 for example. and my H3 weighs much more. :confused:

VX KAT
08/11/2011, 05:28 PM
ah, thanks for posting this. i was actually going to ask something similar. when is the recommended services for such things as the t-case, tranny. i suppose i need to ask the seller of mine tomorrow if any of that has been done since she owned it. i also think i want to redo the entire brakes system including lines, fluid, rotors, pads and calipers at some point. she gave me a receipt that shows new pads and rotors were put on the front, but it still doesn't seem to have the stopping power as say, my H3 for example. and my H3 weighs much more. :confused:

You've been active for a year on here, and you haven't found all that info yet? You're slippin! :p

ok, brake info....MANY owners find the OEM brake pads last upwards of 80,000+ miles..yes 80,000. They are a very long lasting material.
One odd finding...some owners have the original REAR pads wear out prior to the FRONTS....which is kinda illogical. My OEM pads are wearing in the "normal" manner...fronts are at 30% remaining, rears 50%.
The OEM pads are expensive, but many feel they're worth it since they last so long.

Several owners who've installed the stainless steel brake lines say the brakes feel more responsive. I just installed them about 2 months ago, and I also think braking is a bit better.....and I'm schleppin' a lot of extra weight too.

Triathlete
08/11/2011, 05:38 PM
From the Owner's Manual:
Front Axle: SAE 75W-90 Gear Lubricant
GL-5 LSD with LSD Additive

Don't need LSD Additive in the front axle unless you have replaced your open front diff with one that contains an LSD! :bwgy:
Our front diff is an "open" 10 bolt in factory form.

RickOKC
08/11/2011, 07:07 PM
Oops, thank you for the correction! I'll edit my earlier post.

RickOKC
08/11/2011, 07:27 PM
ah, thanks for posting this. i was actually going to ask something similar. when is the recommended services for such things as the t-case, tranny. Hi H3_VX, CLICK HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17591) to download a PDF of the Owner's Manual. The Scheduled Maintenance chart is on page 131 of 189. :thumbup:

i also think i want to redo the entire brakes system including lines, fluid, rotors, pads and calipers at some point. she gave me a receipt that shows new pads and rotors were put on the front, but it still doesn't seem to have the stopping power as say, my H3 for example. and my H3 weighs much more. :confused:My brake pads are in good condition and yet it's just plain not what I'm used to! I drove 2 other VXs before I bought mine and the braking seemed the same on all 3. The test drive on the 2nd one was funny - the owner was in the passenger seat and I kept giving him the "Mom Arm" every time I misjudged stopping distance until I got used to it! :freek:

Cobrajet
08/12/2011, 09:55 AM
ok, brake info....MANY owners find the OEM brake pads last upwards of 80,000+ miles..yes 80,000. They are a very long lasting material.
One odd finding...some owners have the original REAR pads wear out prior to the FRONTS....which is kinda illogical. My OEM pads are wearing in the "normal" manner...fronts are at 30% remaining, rears 50%.
The OEM pads are expensive, but many feel they're worth it since they last so long.
Concur. I now have 130K miles on my original front rotors and pads. The rears were changed at about 80K, during one of my normal service visits. Not sure if the rear pads were worn out, but suspect the rotors were corroded from the inside. I've got a brand new set of front rotors and pads sitting in a box (from Merlin, of course) for my next service visit. My brakes are not all they used to be either, but I can still force the ABS to function if I brake really hard.

H3_VX
08/12/2011, 03:53 PM
Hi H3_VX, CLICK HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17591) to download a PDF of the Owner's Manual. The Scheduled Maintenance chart is on page 131 of 189. :thumbup:

My brake pads are in good condition and yet it's just plain not what I'm used to! I drove 2 other VXs before I bought mine and the braking seemed the same on all 3. The test drive on the 2nd one was funny - the owner was in the passenger seat and I kept giving him the "Mom Arm" every time I misjudged stopping distance until I got used to it! :freek:

Thanks rickokc. Luckily, the seller still had all the manuals in the car. I figured she wouldn't. so i'm all good now.