PDA

View Full Version : Tranny slipping issues....?

Breezy
08/10/2011, 04:44 AM
On my way to work this morning, when I'd give it gas, the RPMs would just shoot up and the car wouldn't pull at all. It was in gear. It happened twice this morning. Anyone know what might be causing that? Supposedly it just had tranny all checked and serviced before I bought it in Bama, but I'll look at it again when I get home. Could low fluid cause that? Or am I looking at something more serious....? :confused:

etlsport
08/10/2011, 10:11 AM
Low fluid could cause that. It's stupid complicated to check our trans fluid level, so theres a good chance someone did not fill yours properly.

Do a search fortransmission fluid filling and youshould cone across the procedure

Ebenezr
08/10/2011, 10:15 AM
I just had my entire transrebuilt because of that. don't drive another mile without top off or better yet changing your trans fluid and filter. good luck.

rsteinmetz70112
08/10/2011, 10:16 AM
Check it quick. Running on low fluid can cause permanent damage.

That someone has worked on it recently I think ups the probability that there is something amiss.

vt_maverick
08/10/2011, 11:05 AM
don't drive another mile without top off or better yet changing your trans fluid and filter. good luck.

+1 - When I bought my VX the first thing I did was take it to a shop and tell them "Let's assume no routine maintenance has been done (you never know when a car is 8 years old but only has 22K miles) and let's do everything." I had them replace all the fluids (oil, tranny, diff, coolant) and filters (oil, air, tranny, etc.) just to be sure. It's not cheap but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what can happen if you cross your fingers based on the PO's story. Good insurance IMHO.

Breezy
08/11/2011, 04:04 AM
I took it right to the shop after work yesterday (after looking 30 minutes for a dipstick and then googling it to find that there is not one...) and they said I'm leaking transmission fluid out of a cooling hose, but my fluid was in fact OVER full and really dirty. They showed me everything, lowered the fluid level, and it made an appointment for me tomorrow. On the way home for the first 3 miles it drove like a champ once again. Then 3.1 miles rolled over....Same problems again with the slipping. It had gotten worse as the day progressed too. It wouldn't engage or pull more than it would. I'm hoping the shop can hook me up with something apart from a tranny replacement/rebuild. I was told I should be looking at used trannies from part outs already though, just in case it comes to that =/

Marlin
08/11/2011, 08:38 AM
I had the same issues a few months after having Isuzu do the 100K tranny service. Smoked the tranny, due to low fluid level, even isuzu couldn't do it right. They closed their doors before I could follow up on the bad maintenance.

Put a used tranny in it, helped with the install at local shop, complete with how to from the VX tech manual in hand, no problems.

Exclamation
08/11/2011, 10:06 AM
Same thing happened to me back in december. I left the dealership when I purchased the VX and the mechanic did not hook the tranny fluid lines back up after replacing an O2 sensor so all of the fluid ran out and 20 miles down the road I had the same thing you described. "RPMs would rise and not feel any pull" almost like I was in neutral. When I took it into a shop they said it had burnt 3rd and 4th gear down to absolutely nothing so I had to have the whole thing replaced.

Marlin
08/11/2011, 10:31 AM
Same thing happened to me back in december. I left the dealership when I purchased the VX and the mechanic did not hook the tranny fluid lines back up after replacing an O2 sensor so all of the fluid ran out and 20 miles down the road I had the same thing you described. "RPMs would rise and not feel any pull" almost like I was in neutral. When I took it into a shop they said it had burnt 3rd and 4th gear down to absolutely nothing so I had to have the whole thing replaced.

3rd and 4th are the ones that toasted on mine too. I drove it until it wouldn't go out of 2nd....lol. Might as well get the most I could out of it:)

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 11:14 AM
3rd and 4th are the ones that toasted on mine too. I drove it until it wouldn't go out of 2nd....lol. Might as well get the most I could out of it:)

and thats just what happened to me 3 weeks ago. 3 and 4 down for the count. burnt fluid and burnt clutches!!:mady:

Marlin
08/11/2011, 11:29 AM
and thats just what happened to me 3 weeks ago. 3 and 4 down for the count. burnt fluid and burnt clutches!!:mady:

I got a tranny with a 1 yr 100% warranty and another 2yr parts only warranty for 850 bucks shipped to the shop. It was Green something or another. They are a huge salvage parts company. It shipped from Tx, not sure if the company is in Tx or not. The pallet said 02 Trooper on it IIRC. No worries, they are all the same.

Ldub
08/11/2011, 06:58 PM
print this & bring it with you, if you're not doing the work yourself...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

:luck:.:_wrench:

Breezy
08/12/2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks guys. I took her back to the shop yesterday. They did some tests and said they highly suspect 4th gear is completely gone. And I don't think I've hit 3rd in a few days either. Do you guys have suggestions as to a rebuild or replacement? I'm not sure which is better. I'd rather pay more and know all the stuff is new and going to last for a long time than to have it replaced with a tranny with several miles on it knowing it might have the same issue in a year or two. I heard bad things about AAMCO or whatever. The previous owner also said he'd shoot me a few hundred bucks back since this happened so soon, although he isn't responsible at all and I don't believe he ever had issues with it. I'm thankful for that. But I'm just not sure about what my best option here is.

mantis
08/12/2011, 03:33 PM
does that happen in reverse as well? does it happen from a stop or while driving on the road?

Breezy
08/12/2011, 04:08 PM
It doesnt happen much from take off at a stop. I havent notice a slip in reverse, until fooling around at taco bell i tried backing the rear tires up onto the curb. It actually struggled to get up. Like a 4 in ledge.... I was like whaaa?

WiSDoM
08/12/2011, 05:43 PM
I had tranny problem a few years ago too.
i would do what LDUB said and make sure you take it to a tranny shop. Make sure to that they cycle thru the gears and then check the fluid levels again before they are done.
I had mine service at PEP boys once and had them do a tranny flush and the idiots only put in 3 qts. it was a complete fubar.
PS. if you need a another one let me know. I have mine from my engine swap sitting in my garage. it had 40,000 mile on it when I put it in and I ran it for another two years maybe put another 20,000 on it, but I doubt it was that much.

mantis
08/12/2011, 06:27 PM
from what you are saying im suspecting the brake band servo piston is out of torque,it wouldn't hurt if you check it out yourself, its in the valve body, you are gonna need a an oil pan gasket(ratherly the ones from an isuzu parts) for the main case of transmission, its easy to work under the truck since you have a good space from the ground, disconnect the battery ground, support the transfer case with a jack dont lift it much, just lay its weight on the jack, there are 2 screws holding the transmission to the third cross member and 4 screws on each side of third cross member, the third cross member is right under the transmission, you're gonna have to unclip some wires and harnesses in order to get the third cross member of the truck,once you get the third cross member off drain the transmission fluid by unplugging the drain plug which is the on on the bottom of the pan,drop the main case oil pan which is the bigger oil pan of transmission and , drop the oil filter 3 screws(13mm), you should be able to see the servo piston cover that is almost 4 inch by 4 inch bowl thing with 4 screws(13 mm) attaching to the valve body, get the cover off and the servo piston is in there, there is rod coming out of the servo piston that has a locknut and the very end of the rod looks like bolt head, loosen the lock nut and using a trque wrench(you can buy that for like 25$ from auto parts), tight the rod to
4.5 nm then back off 5 turns exactly, then tight the lock nut to 18.5 nm holding the rod with another wrench so the rod wouldn't go out of torque, if the gasket of servo piston is warned out or it broke replace it with a new one make sure you clean the surfaces, tight the 4 screws of servo cover (13mm) to 25 nm, install the oil filter tight the three screws(13mm) to 20 nmtruly clean the oil pan contact surface with transmission and the transmission where it contacts the oil pan with, make sure there is nothing on those areas, clean up all the screws, put the oil pan back and torque all the screws to 11 nm(16 screws 10mm), put the third cross member back on and make sure the transmission holder 2 bolts pass through their holes in centre of the third cross member tight the screws to 50 nm, put the wires and harnesses back on, you can buy a manual pump in autozone for like 8$, follow the procedure of oil change that ldup posted, save yourself at least 3000$, they estimated me for that much when i had the same problem, give it a shot and good luck

Tornado
08/22/2011, 08:43 AM
How do you guy's make sure the trans oil is at the proper temp when checking the level?

Ldub
08/22/2011, 12:03 PM
How do you guy's make sure the trans oil is at the proper temp when checking the level?

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html

:_wrench:...:yesgray:

Tornado
08/22/2011, 12:52 PM
I'm assuming you're checking the transmission temp with that tool? What about the actual oil temp? :confused:

Ldub
08/22/2011, 02:55 PM
I'm assuming you're checking the transmission temp with that tool? What about the actual oil temp? :confused:

I don't get that wrapped in it...:smilewink

For me, close enough, is close enough.

spaceCADETzoom
09/04/2011, 06:20 PM
My transmission is slipping from a stop. Seems to run fine when I"m going, but this morning the a/t oil temp light came on, I pull over, park, and it goes off, and I try heading back home. But now it's slipping every time I go from a stop. Looks like the differentials are leaking (both!?).

Will be bringing it in back to the shop after labor day. They had just finished swapping in a new long block (needed a new engine). My question is...does this tranny/diff issue have anything to do with the shop screwing up when they installed the new engine, or is this the freaking perfect storm of automotive disasters for me?

atilla_the_fun
09/04/2011, 07:37 PM
could you explain what the brake band does, and what symptoms it would show?

from what you are saying im suspecting the brake band servo piston is out of torque,it wouldn't hurt if you check it out yourself, its in the valve body, you are gonna need a an oil pan gasket(ratherly the ones from an isuzu parts) for the main case of transmission, its easy to work under the truck since you have a good space from the ground, disconnect the battery ground, support the transfer case with a jack dont lift it much, just lay its weight on the jack, there are 2 screws holding the transmission to the third cross member and 4 screws on each side of third cross member, the third cross member is right under the transmission, you're gonna have to unclip some wires and harnesses in order to get the third cross member of the truck,once you get the third cross member off drain the transmission fluid by unplugging the drain plug which is the on on the bottom of the pan,drop the main case oil pan which is the bigger oil pan of transmission and , drop the oil filter 3 screws(13mm), you should be able to see the servo piston cover that is almost 4 inch by 4 inch bowl thing with 4 screws(13 mm) attaching to the valve body, get the cover off and the servo piston is in there, there is rod coming out of the servo piston that has a locknut and the very end of the rod looks like bolt head, loosen the lock nut and using a trque wrench(you can buy that for like 25$ from auto parts), tight the rod to
4.5 nm then back off 5 turns exactly, then tight the lock nut to 18.5 nm holding the rod with another wrench so the rod wouldn't go out of torque, if the gasket of servo piston is warned out or it broke replace it with a new one make sure you clean the surfaces, tight the 4 screws of servo cover (13mm) to 25 nm, install the oil filter tight the three screws(13mm) to 20 nmtruly clean the oil pan contact surface with transmission and the transmission where it contacts the oil pan with, make sure there is nothing on those areas, clean up all the screws, put the oil pan back and torque all the screws to 11 nm(16 screws 10mm), put the third cross member back on and make sure the transmission holder 2 bolts pass through their holes in centre of the third cross member tight the screws to 50 nm, put the wires and harnesses back on, you can buy a manual pump in autozone for like 8$, follow the procedure of oil change that ldup posted, save yourself at least 3000$, they estimated me for that much when i had the same problem, give it a shot and good luck

Triathlete
09/04/2011, 08:59 PM
Yes, I am sure they had to disconnect the tranny cooler lines to remove the engine. So the swap could be tied to it if they did not refill the tranny properly. But it could just be some pretty rotten luck...hope not and they make it right. Are you throwing any codes or is the tranny light coming on?

I just got done buttoning up my tranny tonight. I have been leaking bad for a while. I dropped the pan, since I was in there changed the filter, new gasket and filled it with fresh fluid including a bottle of Lucas stop slip. Left the skids off for the night to see if anything leaks. Also scrubed the pan...first time it has ever been silver! Had all kinds of fluid burned on to it.

My transmission is slipping from a stop. Seems to run fine when I"m going, but this morning the a/t oil temp light came on, I pull over, park, and it goes off, and I try heading back home. But now it's slipping every time I go from a stop. Looks like the differentials are leaking (both!?).

Will be bringing it in back to the shop after labor day. They had just finished swapping in a new long block (needed a new engine). My question is...does this tranny/diff issue have anything to do with the shop screwing up when they installed the new engine, or is this the freaking perfect storm of automotive disasters for me?