PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Forgotten Concepts: Isuzu's Convertible Crossovers (Automobile Mag Blog)

vt_maverick
08/07/2011, 10:15 AM
Pretty cool article, though I have to question the author's taste if he really thinks the Murano CrossCabriolet is any better looking than Isuzu's concepts. :rolleyes:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/fridays-forgotten-concepts-isuzus-convertable-crossovers-66573.html

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/files/2011/08/Isuzu-Trooper-Convertible-concept-front-view-623x389.jpg

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/files/2011/08/Isuzu-Axiom-XSR-Concept-side-view-1024x640.jpg

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/files/2011/08/Isuzu-VX-02-Concept-front-view-1024x640.jpg

Murano CrossCabriolet pic for comparison...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/03/2011-nissan-murano-cross-cabriolet---01-opt.jpg

VXorado
08/07/2011, 11:01 AM
Nice article but I don't agree. I never saw the Axiom convertible before and I think it looks sweet.

ZEUS
08/07/2011, 11:28 AM
Nice article but I don't agree. I never saw the Axiom convertible before and I think it looks sweet.
x2
Morono 'vert = gag me with a spoon

johnnyapollo
08/09/2011, 06:43 PM
Saw that Axiom at the next-to-last Isuzu attended auto show in Atlanta - it had a sweet "glass beaded" paint job that made the color jump off the body...

RickOKC
08/09/2011, 07:22 PM
Ha! I read this today: Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet: Most disliked car of 2011 (http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/09/autos/nissan_murano_crosscabriolet.fortune/index.htm?iid=HP_LN) (according to car reviewers.)

Probably my favorite part of the article was the quote, "And, like other journalists, [automotive reviewers] are inclined to a herd mentality and the lead of a few A-list reviewers." That's something I sure believe. Once you read the first article about a new car, you might as well skip the rest. They're all so similar you have to wonder if the actually drove the car or just read the article from the first guy and moved the paragraphs around a bit. :rolleyes:

blacksambo
08/09/2011, 08:41 PM
Theu should learn how to spell (convertible, that is see their headline) before taking a shot at he VX , although it's niced to see the VX in the news yet again. It just won't fade away.

Friday’s Forgotten Concepts: Isuzu’s Convertable Crossovers

Evan McCausland on August 5 2011 2:00 PM

Nissan’s Murano CrossCabriolet has been controversial, to say the least. Yet had history gone a little differently, the insults, questions, and confusion directed Nissan’s way could have instead been targeted at Isuzu.

Remember Isuzu? Although the company is now relegated to selling commercial trucks in North America, it found booming business hawking light SUVs to North American consumers in the mid-1990s. We’re not exactly sure why, but the company apparently saw fit to craft an SUV for every conceivable buyer — including those who enjoyed motoring en plein air.

A Trooper ‘vert, based off the limited-production three-door RS model, appeared on the auto show circuit in 1993 to “measure consumer interest in this newest Trooper variation.” There wasn’t enough to push it into production, despite the fact a drop-top SUV wasn’t exactly new — after all, Isuzu itself had been building the Amigo since 1989.

The convertible idea moved over to crossovers shortly after Isuzu launched the wacky-looking VehiCross in 1999 (“NOT A CAR,” screamed the dealer literature). That same year, Isuzu (and ItalDesign’s American operations center) wielded an ax to the roof structure, resulting in the even wackier VX-02 concept. More roadster than convertible, the VX-02 scrapped the puny rear seats and cargo hold — and, apparently, any semblance of a top — in favor of a leather-clad interior and a curvy rear decklid. Critics panned the vehicle as much as they did Disney’s Mission to Mars film — which, ironically, featured the VX-02 as Gary Sinese’s dream machine.

If that wasn’t enough to kill the idea, Isuzu toyed with the notion one last time. The angular Axiom, inspired off the 2002 ZXS concept, debuted in 2001 as a 2002 model. To celebrate the launch of what would prove to be Isuzu’s last SUV developed in-house, it produced three pimped-out Axiom concepts for the auto show circuit. A lowered sport version wasn’t all that outlandish, nor was a four-door pickup variant, but the XSR — a stubby Axiom treated to essentially the same modifications used on the VX-02 — was unbearable to look at. If the shape was bad, the color scheme (retina-melting yellow with a matching interior) was absolutely atrocious.

Keep these vehicles in mind the next time you lay eyes on a CrossCabriolet. Yes, Nissan’s soft-top Murano is odd, but things could have been worse. After all, Isuzu could have beaten Nissan to the punch…

Source: Isuzu

Categories:Classic Cars, Convertibles, Miscellaneous, News, Suvs

Related Rumors Posts

Sneak Peek of Renault Electric Car Concepts for 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show

GM Year-to-Date Sales Up 36 Percent, Boosted by Crossovers

SEMA 2010: Kia to Show Two Sportage Concepts Called “Work” and “Play”

Honda EV-N, EV Cub Concepts Go Back To The Future

2013 Infiniti JX Crossover Previewed by Sketch, Debuts at Pebble Beach

Stuck in traffic? You’re not alone, U.S. Congestion on the Rise

•Steve Nash Ad Has Unlikely Twist
•Why This Is at the Center of a Debate
•Yet Another Risk for Teen Drivers

» More from AOL Autos

Share:

2 Comments

andrew
Posted on: August 9, 2011 8:45 pm

Before you become so critical of Isuzu you ought to learn how to spell “convertible” , not “convertable” as your headline reads!

Don Reese
Posted on: August 8, 2011 11:39 am

Don’t forget the Jeep Cherokee Convertible concept from the same period…

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required, but never shared)

Web

New Car Price Quote

Select a MakeAcuraAudiBMWBuickCadillacChevroletChryslerDodg eFiatFordGMCHondaHyundaiInfinitiJaguarJeepKiaLand RoverLexusLincolnMazdaMercedes-BenzMINIMitsubishiNissanPorscheSaabScionSmartSubar uSuzukiToyotaVolkswagenVolvo

Select a Model

VEHICLE TYPES
?Compact
?Convertibles
?Coupes
?Electric
?Hatchbacks
?Hybrid
?Luxury
?Midsize
?Minivans & Vans
?Sedans
?Sports
?Suvs
?Trucks
?Wagons

BLOG AUTHORS

?Joe DeMatio
?Phil Floraday
?Joe Lorio
?Evan McCausland
?Eric Tingwall
?David Zenlea
?Jake Holmes
?Christian Seabaugh
?Ben Timmins
?Donny Nordlicht
?Alex Nishimoto
?Jason Udy
?Karla Sanchez
?Erick Ayapana
?Rory Jurnecka
?Benson Kong
?Scott Evans
?Zach Gale
?Mike Febbo
?Carlos Lago
?Nate Martinez
?Edward A. Sanchez

<script src=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/automobile.primedia.com/community_blogs_;abr=!ie;abr=!aol;!category=commun ity;page=fridays-forgotten-concepts-isuzus-convertable-crossovers-66573.html;sect=community;subs=blogs;subss=;year=; trim=;cpo=false;article_id=;source_id=;camp_id=;sp =;rb=;site=automobile;chan=autos;k=;kw=;entry=fals e;sz=160x600;tile=8;ord=1771690;></script>

Most Recent Posts

?Feature Flick: David Higgins’ Subaru WRX STi Makes Record Setting Climb to the Clouds
?Big Target on Big Trucks: President Obama Reveals New Heavy Duty Fuel Standards
?Audi Teases Urban Concept Ahead of Frankfurt Debut
?NHTSA Investigates BMW 7 Series for Transmission and Roll Away Issue
?Sales of Ford F-150 V-6 Models Continue to Outpace V-8s
?2012 Toyota Yaris Price Rises $930 to $14,875, Sienna, Sequoia, Tundra Prices Up
?Late to the States: Pagani Huayra Denied Airbag Exemption by NHTSA
?2012 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 Makes Bikers Feel At Home on Four Wheels
?GM Opens Dealer Network for New Baojun Brand in China
?Feature Flick: Formula Drift Champion Vaughn Gittin Jr Gets Ford Mustang Sideways in Seattle

MOST COMMENTED ON
?David E. Davis, Jr., Founder and Editor Emeritus of Automobile Magazine, Dead at 80 (52)
?Rumored Again: Holden Commodore May Become Chevrolet for U.S. Market (39)
?Cadillac vs. Lincoln: Which American Luxury Brand Will Triumph? (32)
?Surprised? Acura Exterior Styling Cited as Top Customer Deal Breaker (30)
?Could Volvo’s V60 Come to the U.S. as a Hybrid? (30)
?Snap Judgment: Is Honda’s 2011 Odyssey Hot or Not? (25)
?First 2012 Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet Rolls Off Production Line (25)
?Snap Judgment: Do We Still Need Compact Pickups? (24)
?Report: Turbocharged Honda CR-Z Could Launch in October (23)
?Ford, Google Working On Cars That Predict, Adapt To Driving Habits (21)

Recommend us on Google

Sponsored Links

Ldub
08/09/2011, 11:37 PM
M0M...:eekgray: